Coral Vue Hydros

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

04fd100c-0859-4600-9972-25ce7dd277bb.jpg

Nothing exotic, but she's pretty....and glows. CGA War Coral.

0a5798cc-8e93-49f7-9a79-1d79b770bf01.jpg

Acan / Blasto garden stating to recover and grow again. Lost a few Acan colonies along the way. Love the black looking ones and the orange at the bottom with the two mouths on a single head. Half the acans and the green and red Blasto are also CGA.

ecbef403-64a3-4ec9-a2aa-9cc32db70ae8.jpg

7cfdd51b-9ad7-4c2d-973c-319a91b0b898.jpg

Couple of shrooms........

e2d83c16-bb40-406c-9c72-5b9184cbeb8d.jpg

And the "Orange Hammer" with the Orange / Pink RFA

f9683ce3-cbbd-40c2-ae1f-36b7f80e7b00.jpg

And the "Orange Hammer".

I need a REAL Orange Hammer, Glenn. Next time you find one, I'll take it!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welllll..... my grandma passing kinda screwed me up for a bit, and the new display tank ordering process took longer then I expected.... its actually not even going to be technically ordered and started on until tomorrow (and there is a 5-6 week wait right now) because of dropped communication for a few days on their end which was weird. It was great until I said I wanted to order it, then I didn't hear a word for 4 days (with no response to my saying build it, take my money I don't even wanna do a deposit I'd like to pay in full at the time of order lol) and I was kinda hoping to unveil it all around the same time..... but the plan is to do a small softcore release around mid October. By November I plan to be bangin it hardcore tho :ninja:

Welllll..... my grandma passing kinda screwed me up for a bit, and the new display tank ordering process took longer then I expected.... its actually not even going to be technically ordered and started on until tomorrow (and there is a 5-6 week wait right now) because of dropped communication for a few days on their end which was weird. It was great until I said I wanted to order it, then I didn't hear a word for 4 days (with no response to my saying build it, take my money I don't even wanna do a deposit I'd like to pay in full at the time of order lol) and I was kinda hoping to unveil it all around the same time..... but the plan is to do a small softcore release around mid October. By November I plan to be bangin it hardcore tho :ninja:

I haven't been very active lately but so sorry to hear about your Grandma :(, a death in the family is never easy.

04fd100c-0859-4600-9972-25ce7dd277bb.jpg

Nothing exotic, but she's pretty....and glows. CGA War Coral.

0a5798cc-8e93-49f7-9a79-1d79b770bf01.jpg

Acan / Blasto garden stating to recover and grow again. Lost a few Acan colonies along the way. Love the black looking ones and the orange at the bottom with the two mouths on a single head. Half the acans and the green and red Blasto are also CGA.

ecbef403-64a3-4ec9-a2aa-9cc32db70ae8.jpg

7cfdd51b-9ad7-4c2d-973c-319a91b0b898.jpg

Couple of shrooms........

e2d83c16-bb40-406c-9c72-5b9184cbeb8d.jpg

And the "Orange Hammer" with the Orange / Pink RFA

f9683ce3-cbbd-40c2-ae1f-36b7f80e7b00.jpg

And the "Orange Hammer".

I need a REAL Orange Hammer, Glenn. Next time you find one, I'll take it!

Damn bro, that acan/balsto garden looks great! I need to check in here more often! I'll keep an eye out for an orange hammer, but the prices on them are going through the roof. Actually, prices seem to be going up across the board. I can't touch ANY acanthophyllia for under $200, and also have to spend at least 2k for each one ordered :blink: . I really hope this harvesting ban doesn't happen, but it sure looks like the wholesale market is bracing for the worst :( .

Damn bro, that acan/balsto garden looks great! I need to check in here more often! I'll keep an eye out for an orange hammer, but the prices on them are going through the roof. Actually, prices seem to be going up across the board. I can't touch ANY acanthophyllia for under $200, and also have to spend at least 2k for each one ordered :blink: . I really hope this harvesting ban doesn't happen, but it sure looks like the wholesale market is bracing for the worst :( .

....start growing out them crazy pieces you get your hot little hands on.....like the rainbow blastos :^ )

I really hope this harvesting ban doesn't happen, but it sure looks like the wholesale market is bracing for the worst :( .

Its just going to get worse too because they proved today if they even think its illegal that it will shut us down. :(

....start growing out them crazy pieces you get your hot little hands on.....like the rainbow blastos :^ )

It really won't matter, if the shit hits the fan unless something major changes not only will it be illegal to import it will be illegal to own!

I'm actually considering scaling my plans back for a bit to see how things shake out, it will take quite a while to recover my investment already without prices many would consider "extreme gouging" LOL... not shutting it down but not starting nearly as big as I was going to either.

Its just going to get worse too because they proved today if they even think its illegal that it will shut us down. :(

It really won't matter, if the shit hits the fan unless something major changes not only will it be illegal to import it will be illegal to own!

I'm actually considering scaling my plans back for a bit to see how things shake out, it will take quite a while to recover my investment already without prices many would consider "extreme gouging" LOL... not shutting it down but not starting nearly as big as I was going to either.

Go big bro! You couldn't have all that much invested yet. You only bought a couple of skimmers and some Chinese LED's so far, right? That said, I'm tellin ya man, those LED's suck for sps. I've got them myself and now only use them for supp. lighting. I'm assuming you're likely going to focus mostly on sps since that's what you're into??

Go big bro! You couldn't have all that much invested yet. You only bought a couple of skimmers and some Chinese LED's so far, right? That said, I'm tellin ya man, those LED's suck for sps. I've got them myself and now only use them for supp. lighting. I'm assuming you're likely going to focus mostly on sps since that's what you're into??

Tanks, skimmers, lights, saws, blades, pumps, powerheads, plumbing, beefed up ro/di unit, etc. etc. etc. $100 here, $100 there starts adding up quick, website (which I still need to do, and get the logo design work done). Hell I have over $200 in super glue (and IMO its really not alot of glue lol)..... and then theres the goodies :D The only things I really need to do still are get the shipping stuff set up and the website/ logo/ banners done, otherwise I am just waiting to get everything adjusted and enjoy looking at it before I get all crazy..... :haha:

And thats not even including the stuff to the house I wanted/ needed to do to run it like I want too.... like turn my spare bedroom into an office w/ built in desk to have a space away from everything to be able to focus on things I need to do on the comp, call suppliers etc that I don't really wanna have 2 kids, 2 dogs and the wife distracting me while I'm doing.... new electrical lines on dedicated breakers for the systems, waterproofing the area the tanks are in, dehumidifiers, etc. etc. etc. ;)

Do you have the ones with 90 degree reflectors? Yeah I will have a little of everything but sps will be my main thing, its what I know best and enjoy the most.

Wait.... Harvesting ban?

Yeah if the legislation goes into effect to protect certain corals it is feared (IMO rightfully so) that it could be expanded and severely impact the hobby if not shut it down (eventually). Yesterday LA's fish and wildlife branch that oversees importing started notifying importers it was illegal to import the 20 corals that are potentially going to be "banned" soon, it was a miscommunication (because most government agencies don't have their shit together.....) but it showed how very very real this is and how it could impact us all.

Tanks, skimmers, lights, saws, blades, pumps, powerheads, plumbing, beefed up ro/di unit, etc. etc. etc. $100 here, $100 there starts adding up quick, website (which I still need to do, and get the logo design work done). Hell I have over $200 in super glue (and IMO its really not alot of glue lol)..... and then theres the goodies :D The only things I really need to do still are get the shipping stuff set up and the website/ logo/ banners done, otherwise I am just waiting to get everything adjusted and enjoy looking at it before I get all crazy..... :haha:

And thats not even including the stuff to the house I wanted/ needed to do to run it like I want too.... like turn my spare bedroom into an office w/ built in desk to have a space away from everything to be able to focus on things I need to do on the comp, call suppliers etc that I don't really wanna have 2 kids, 2 dogs and the wife distracting me while I'm doing.... new electrical lines on dedicated breakers for the systems, waterproofing the area the tanks are in, dehumidifiers, etc. etc. etc. ;)

Do you have the ones with 90 degree reflectors? Yeah I will have a little of everything but sps will be my main thing, its what I know best and enjoy the most.

Are they petitioning a ban on super glue too!?!? Why do you *need* $200 worth of glue? I buy in bulk and only spend $40 including shipping, and I'm still only half way through my first order. There's no way in hell you have more frags cut (or have cut) than I do at this point, lol. $200 in glue, awesome!! Pics or it didn't happen, IMO :lol: .

Yeah, I believe mine have 90 degree reflectors. Don't get me wrong, they're decent (at best) for LPS and zoa's, but good luck with those lights alone and SPS. The tops will look good, but the rest of the colony/frag will be brown, if not dead.

Have you seen those new ring saws? I'm considering getting one. My bandsaw works fine, but the blade on those ring saws looks awesome. You wanna talk about an expense that adds up?? Saw blades!! I burn through blades like they're going out of style and they run about $25 each.

Corals look fantastic!!!!! Loving the acan/blasto garden :wub:. More pictures!!!!!! omgomgomg Are you still threatening to take this tank down? Because it looks a-ok to me ;).

That^. All of that^.

Corals look fantastic!!!!! Loving the acan/blasto garden :wub:. More pictures!!!!!! omgomgomg Are you still threatening to take this tank down? Because it looks a-ok to me ;).
Thanks G! Pretty sure I'll be ripping this thing down....Some things look decent while others are just "alive". Still getting GHA.....convinced it's the rock....no idea how long it will continue to leach. My RFA are all small and seem to stay put in the shade....haven't moved out into the light....maybe too bright? I doubt it though, as some of the Z and p's were on the sand and reaching a little. Something is just off.So, ya.....going to start over at some point. Too much stuff on the plate right now.Your new light is awesome btw.....the polkadot is totally you!

That^. All of that^.
You obviously been sniffing too much glue if my tank is looking good to you!-Get my orange hammer yet? :^ )

Are they petitioning a ban on super glue too!?!? Why do you *need* $200 worth of glue? I buy in bulk and only spend $40 including shipping, and I'm still only half way through my first order. There's no way in hell you have more frags cut (or have cut) than I do at this point, lol. $200 in glue, awesome!! Pics or it didn't happen, IMO :lol: .

Nope but I don't mind going a little heavy to make sure things stay in place in high flow. I didn't "need" it, but doesn't mean I don't wanna keep a nice supply on hand either. I'll try to get a pic sometime this week.... trying to stop using my phone (and photobucket has been screwed since they changed it for me) so I will have to break out the DSLR for it lol But I have like 300 tubes on hand :)

Yeah, I believe mine have 90 degree reflectors. Don't get me wrong, they're decent (at best) for LPS and zoa's, but good luck with those lights alone and SPS. The tops will look good, but the rest of the colony/frag will be brown, if not dead.

For low and wide tanks reflectors are pointless ;) I've been playing with LEDs and acros for a few years now, I think I will be ok. If not its not a big deal to add on some t5's or switch to MH and T5 if I need too but I don't see any reason to be concerned at this point.

Have you seen those new ring saws? I'm considering getting one. My bandsaw works fine, but the blade on those ring saws looks awesome. You wanna talk about an expense that adds up?? Saw blades!! I burn through blades like they're going out of style and they run about $25 each.

I haven't seen any new ring saws, the ones I've seen have been out for a while now (don't know that I've seen one specifically for SW tho if thats what your talking about), Most of my work will be done with bone cutters anyway, as I like to hand prune typically. The gryphon blades are $70, consider yourself lucky lol The Kent/ knockoff ones available for it are considerably cheaper but IME break or wear out way sooner....

Nope but I don't mind going a little heavy to make sure things stay in place in high flow. I didn't "need" it, but doesn't mean I don't wanna keep a nice supply on hand either. I'll try to get a pic sometime this week.... trying to stop using my phone (and photobucket has been screwed since they changed it for me) so I will have to break out the DSLR for it lol But I have like 300 tubes on hand :)

For low and wide tanks reflectors are pointless ;) I've been playing with LEDs and acros for a few years now, I think I will be ok. If not its not a big deal to add on some t5's or switch to MH and T5 if I need too but I don't see any reason to be concerned at this point.

I haven't seen any new ring saws, the ones I've seen have been out for a while now (don't know that I've seen one specifically for SW tho if thats what your talking about), Most of my work will be done with bone cutters anyway, as I like to hand prune typically. The gryphon blades are $70, consider yourself lucky lol The Kent/ knockoff ones available for it are considerably cheaper but IME break or wear out way sooner....

The gryphon uses the same blade. I've used both the knock off's as well as the name brand replacements and they are identical. You can't see a difference, nor does one wear faster than the other. Still wanna see all the glue, lol. Make it happen.

The ring saw is made specifically for cutting coral. The blade will last (in theory) last much longer than our bandsaw blades because it is made with diamonds within the blade itself. So there is always a nice cutting edge even as the blade wears as opposed to ours that are just coated with diamonds. The only downside is the ring saw is $$$. As of now, they're $1250, IIRC.

Pics or it didn't happen, IMO :lol: .

The gryphon uses the same blade. I've used both the knock off's as well as the name brand replacements and they are identical. You can't see a difference, nor does one wear faster than the other. Still wanna see all the glue, lol. Make it happen.

I unfortunately haven't had that same experience.... and the kent blades are slightly different in grit and even color then the blades I have from gryphon, maybe I got a bad batch or something... or maybe the gryphon blades are just a better quality then the inland stock blades.... shrug lol

The ring saw is made specifically for cutting coral. The blade will last (in theory) last much longer than our bandsaw blades because it is made with diamonds within the blade itself. So there is always a nice cutting edge even as the blade wears as opposed to ours that are just coated with diamonds. The only downside is the ring saw is $$$. As of now, they're $1250, IIRC.

No shit, I have seen ring saws but they werent that much, guess like everything else they say its made for SW/Reef price goes up lol

Pics in due time ;)

3 tubes of super Glue from the dollar store for well a dollar. 100x1.00 = 100.00 I just saved you 100 dollars ;). Isn't the ban for SPS? If so let them ban away I won't skip a step :lol:

3 tubes of super Glue from the dollar store for well a dollar. 100x1.00 = 100.00 I just saved you 100 dollars ;). Isn't the ban for SPS? If so let them ban away I won't skip a step :lol:

I pay roughly $.40 a tube, so I save $.20 in comparison to the dollar store, where I got tired of taking all 10 packs they would get in every couple weeks ;)

More LPS on the list then SPS, I think there were 2 SPS ;)

I pay roughly $.40 a tube, so I save $.20 in comparison to the dollar store, where I got tired of taking all 10 packs they would get in every couple weeks ;)

More LPS on the list then SPS, I think there were 2 SPS ;)

Where is a link to this list?

Thanks G! Pretty sure I'll be ripping this thing down....Some things look decent while others are just "alive". Still getting GHA.....convinced it's the rock....no idea how long it will continue to leach. My RFA are all small and seem to stay put in the shade....haven't moved out into the light....maybe too bright? I doubt it though, as some of the Z and p's were on the sand and reaching a little. Something is just off. So, ya.....going to start over at some point. Too much stuff on the plate right now. Your new light is awesome btw.....the polkadot is totally you!

Well you sure can't tell anything is wrong by those pictures! I'll take your word for it :). Thanks on the light :flower:.
I think frogspawn was the only lps on the list that's relevant to us. The other 4 were deep water acros, IIRC.
SPS and Frogspawn won't bother me 1 bit. NR noobs kill more Frogspawn and SPS than a oil spill.

Well you sure can't tell anything is wrong by those pictures! I'll take your word for it :). Thanks on the light :flower:.
Hello sunshine :wub:

It honestly sounds to me like NOAA took us in to consideration, if you read the link.

http://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/stories/2014/08/corals_listing.html

Open to interpretation, but I don't think they want to bringg the hammer down on the hobby. Overall, we as a community are more beneficial to the reefs than detrimental, so long as sustainable collection practices are used.

Archived