Pod Your Reef

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

I just had to frag out some of my fluro green schrooms, they were irritating some of my SPS and out-competing them. Time to take them back to the LFS for more goodies :).

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of mushrooms, I have a question. I’ve seen many tank photos that show a cluster of mushrooms on a rock, etc. In my tank, they have spread EVERYWHERE! How do you keep them in one spot?? I mean, when I moved this tank, I probably had 20+ of them in the tank and I thought that was a lot… HAH! I probably have 2x that now...

I’m also curious how you “prune” back Xenia? I have some red/pinkish stuff that has quadrupled in size since I set the tank up and it is starting to crowd out one of my zoa colonies. Not only has the number of stalks multiplied, but the size of them has exploded. I’ll try to get a photo of them to show.

Ok, here is a photo of it. You can also see one of the mushrooms peaking out in the bottom right… they tend to not like real bright light so the top of the tank doesn’t get too much of them thankfully. Ignore the aiptasia poking out here and there too… need to replace my peppermint shrimp!

post-84098-0-61676000-1401895684_thumb.jpg

So, it should be getting enough light by the looks of the crappy pic?

She loves that thing!

Yep should be fine. you can always snip a small piece and let it grow somewhere else just in case, but no worries I have plenty more where that came from ;)

Speaking of mushrooms, I have a question. I’ve seen many tank photos that show a cluster of mushrooms on a rock, etc. In my tank, they have spread EVERYWHERE! How do you keep them in one spot?? I mean, when I moved this tank, I probably had 20+ of them in the tank and I thought that was a lot… HAH! I probably have 2x that now...

I’m also curious how you “prune” back Xenia? I have some red/pinkish stuff that has quadrupled in size since I set the tank up and it is starting to crowd out one of my zoa colonies. Not only has the number of stalks multiplied, but the size of them has exploded. I’ll try to get a photo of them to show.

Ok, here is a photo of it. You can also see one of the mushrooms peaking out in the bottom right… they tend to not like real bright light so the top of the tank doesn’t get too much of them thankfully. Ignore the aiptasia poking out here and there too… need to replace my peppermint shrimp!

You can't really keep mushies in one spot, they move to reproduce. As they move they leave part of themselves behind which will grow into another mushroom. There are many methods of fragging them so to speak if you have to reduce numbers.

Fragging Xenia is very easy (almost impossible to kill that stuff). Just take a razor blade and cut 1 or 2 of the 'stems' off as close to the base as possible. Then grab some fishing line or cotton thread, place the piece/s of Xenia on some live/dry rock and wrap the fishing line/cotton thread around the rock and part of the Xenia stem. Rinse and repeat for the amount of pieces you have. In 2-3 days the parts of the Xenia that are pressed into the rock with fishing line/cotton thread will start to bond to the rock. Within a week you can remove the thread and the Xenia will be able to support itself. I literally have to do this fortnightly with my Xenia.

You can't really keep mushies in one spot, they move to reproduce. As they move they leave part of themselves behind which will grow into another mushroom. There are many methods of fragging them so to speak if you have to reduce numbers.

Fragging Xenia is very easy (almost impossible to kill that stuff). Just take a razor blade and cut 1 or 2 of the 'stems' off as close to the base as possible. Then grab some fishing line or cotton thread, place the piece/s of Xenia on some live/dry rock and wrap the fishing line/cotton thread around the rock and part of the Xenia stem. Rinse and repeat for the amount of pieces you have. In 2-3 days the parts of the Xenia that are pressed into the rock with fishing line/cotton thread will start to bond to the rock. Within a week you can remove the thread and the Xenia will be able to support itself. I literally have to do this fortnightly with my Xenia.

Propane torch, bleach, muratic acid :) lol

Propane torch, bleach, muratic acid :) lol

Hey Stickhead,

Not everyone has hard sticks on their mind....some people prefer the soft and flaccid types.

Awesome, thanks for the information. I need to find a source for some rock pieces to use for this. My Xenia is going absolutely nuts and personally I much prefer getting stuff on a rock rather than a plug.

Kinda neat thing happened last night. I had done some cleaning and moving of some items last night. Then when the lights were off, I thought my walking dendro was GONE. Took a flashlight and found that he was not gone, he was just completely upside down! Not sure how he got that way, but sure enough there was the worm sticking out of him trying to right him back up. A minute later, he was back upright and happy as a clam. It is one thing to know it is there, it is quite another to see it and watch it doing its thang. Best $15 coral purchase yet! :)

Awesome, thanks for the information. I need to find a source for some rock pieces to use for this. My Xenia is going absolutely nuts and personally I much prefer getting stuff on a rock rather than a plug.

Kinda neat thing happened last night. I had done some cleaning and moving of some items last night. Then when the lights were off, I thought my walking dendro was GONE. Took a flashlight and found that he was not gone, he was just completely upside down! Not sure how he got that way, but sure enough there was the worm sticking out of him trying to right him back up. A minute later, he was back upright and happy as a clam. It is one thing to know it is there, it is quite another to see it and watch it doing its thang. Best $15 coral purchase yet! :)

That kind of stuff is very cool.....all the freaks come out at night. Next time take a little video and post it up!

Hey Stickhead,

Not everyone has hard sticks on their mind....some people prefer the soft and flaccid types.

I kid, I kid :) LOL

That kind of stuff is very cool.....all the freaks come out at night. Next time take a little video and post it up!

It happened pretty fast. I was just initially shocked when I could not find the walking dendro… with him being upside down, his underside is almost the same color as the sand so in the dim light he seemed to be gone! Looking at him lately I wonder if he is thinking about splitting. Has a sag in the middle that looks like the sides are starting to come towards each other… guess time will tell!

Anyone know if they need a new shell or similar to to split on to or anything?

It happened pretty fast. I was just initially shocked when I could not find the walking dendro… with him being upside down, his underside is almost the same color as the sand so in the dim light he seemed to be gone! Looking at him lately I wonder if he is thinking about splitting. Has a sag in the middle that looks like the sides are starting to come towards each other… guess time will tell!

Anyone know if they need a new shell or similar to to split on to or anything?

How is it going did it split or anything yet?

Sorry but I have no idea if they need a shell or anything but I kinda doubt it I thought the worm lived in the coral so I dunno what would happen if the coral split off into 2.... :wacko:

Anything good goin on Jack?? :)

The kids me and the wife just had dinner in the little travel trailer....they're prepping it for camping. Funny how little things like that are the best things ever for the wife and little ones.

How about you?

The kids me and the wife just had dinner in the little travel trailer....they're prepping it for camping. Funny how little things like that are the best things ever for the wife and little ones. How about you?

Not much, the corn I planted a couple weeks is growing nicely :) But gotta battle 100M mosquitos to water it, bastards be baaaaaaaaaaaaad this year.

My kids always smash there's after Halloween is over. Good times smashing stuff.

I usually just take ours out to my dads to feed the deer. lol

Anyways, I'm out... night bitches :)

How is it going did it split or anything yet?

Nope… it just looks like it is folding in the middle. Sometimes it looks like that more than others so maybe it is just how it looks differently at times, dunno.

As I understand it, the dendro encrusts a shell and it is in that shell that the worm actually lives… it just keeps a hole open in the bottom. I could be wrong on that though...

Nope… it just looks like it is folding in the middle. Sometimes it looks like that more than others so maybe it is just how it looks differently at times, dunno.

As I understand it, the dendro encrusts a shell and it is in that shell that the worm actually lives… it just keeps a hole open in the bottom. I could be wrong on that though...

Thats crazy, wish I could help ya but I have no idea I'd guess try to find an appropriate shell, but even if the dendro splits what happens with the worm does it split/ or something as well?

Thats crazy, wish I could help ya but I have no idea I'd guess try to find an appropriate shell, but even if the dendro splits what happens with the worm does it split/ or something as well?

I thought dendros grew new heads....no splitty split. Like acans and blastos and the like. What's up tonight...just got in...left the house at 4:30am and just checking in now.

I thought dendros grew new heads....no splitty split. Like acans and blastos and the like. What's up tonight...just got in...left the house at 4:30am and just checking in now.

Yeah I dunno, this is one of those walking dendros which if I remember right isn't really a dendro anyway..... so I dunno how it would act really but I'd imagine the little worm could only move so much before it had to split off :wacko:

Not really shit goin on here, watched a little bit of the game tonight and bout to go crash for the night.

Oh yeah, you work to ####in much lol

Yep...seems pretty quiet. Except for thug life....

Yeah I might be the last one up on this side of the mountains lol

Archived