Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Updates:

Puppy likes to shit and piss all over the house. Haven't slept much for the past week as Puppy Patrol is a 24/7 routine....to avoid stepping barefoot in cold crap in the morning.

My snails finally did something today. They cleaned all of my GHA frags. Turns out there are actually polyps on the plugs...pretty cool.

I came home to a new package on the doorstep. The new RODI system will be hooked up this weekend....I hope.

Did a peroxide treatment on one of the branch rocks that used to have a couple hundred polyps covering it. All GHA is gone from that branch.

Sump maintenance tomorrow.

Just got back home today after 3 days of travel.

Before I left I changed GFO and did some heavy GHA pruning. I came home expecting to find the GHA back at 100%. The stuff is instead 70% GONE! Assuming the pruning helped....but the new and increased amount of GFO must have kicked its ass....along with a couple acans....oh well. I can order new ones from CGA. Die GHA, DIE!

-The SeaHare is also munching this stuff now that it's been trimmed back. :) Just watched him rip off a chunck.....like an all you can eat salad bar.

Just got back home today after 3 days of travel.

Before I left I changed GFO and did some heavy GHA pruning. I came home expecting to find the GHA back at 100%. The stuff is instead 70% GONE! Assuming the pruning helped....but the new and increased amount of GFO must have kicked its ass....along with a couple acans....oh well. I can order new ones from CGA. Die GHA, DIE!

-The SeaHare is also munching this stuff now that it's been trimmed back. :) Just watched him rip off a chunck.....like an all you can eat salad bar.

Man that sounds like some awesome damage being done on the GHA. Sounds like the sea hare is making a pretty good dent in it as well ;)

You said you're kole isn't much of an algae eater right?

Man that sounds like some awesome damage being done on the GHA. Sounds like the sea hare is making a pretty good dent in it as well ;)

You said you're kole isn't much of an algae eater right?

She's pretty.....but doesn't touch the stuff. I think a few of my acans have died off from the heavy GFO.....about 30 heads so far. Just lost my baby blue/pink ones in the past few days....but again, as long as the GHA is leaving....I guess that's the price of war.

-What's new on your end?

She's pretty.....but doesn't touch the stuff. I think a few of my acans have died off from the heavy GFO.....about 30 heads so far. Just lost my baby blue/pink ones in the past few days....but again, as long as the GHA is leaving....I guess that's the price of war.

Man that sucks about the acans, 30 heads is a decent chunk to lose :( Might not be bad to do a water change since you are having losses.

-What's new on your end?

Increased humidity levels and thinking about new fish lol Hopefully start getting some coral in the next few weeks if all goes well.

Man that sucks about the acans, 30 heads is a decent chunk to lose :( Might not be bad to do a water change since you are having losses.

Increased humidity levels and thinking about new fish lol Hopefully start getting some coral in the next few weeks if all goes well.

Ya, wc tomorrow.

What fishy you go'n with?

:)

I dunno,some kinda tangs just not sure which one(s) yet.

I vote Kole. Love this thing. Super easy going fish....try and get the spotted if you can find one....they look nicer imo. They definitely get a bright glow to them as they get bigger, striped or spotted.

I vote Kole. Love this thing. Super easy going fish....try and get the spotted if you can find one....they look nicer imo. They definitely get a bright glow to them as they get bigger, striped or spotted.

Think 3 of em would get along good or get along ok with say a yellow (or scopas) and a powder something? lol

Think 3 of em would get along good or get along ok with say a yellow (or scopas) and a powder something? lol

From what I gather so far....it seems to be the body shape similarity that gets them all pissy. I like the powders........

From what I gather so far....it seems to be the body shape similarity that gets them all pissy. I like the powders........

Yeah I know some have had good luck adding multiples of a few different tangs which would be pretty sweet... A small group of convict tangs would be sweet but I have heard they aren't much for algae eaters and while not really overly needed wouldn't hurt either lol

As a newbie reefer, I have enjoyed following this thread. Makes my head explode trying to understand all the stuff talked about regarding the various critters. With that said, I was a bit concerned because my recently acquired 39g tank suddenly had aiptasia showing up everywhere. Now, my situation is nowhere near like what you detailed, but in under a week I had over a dozen new ones form, including 3 of them that are quite large! I finally picked up a CUC and I included 2 peppermint shrimp. I was disappointed at first as they have only been hiding near the overflow so far (even had to rescue the smaller one from the overflow box once already!), but this morning I noticed that one of the larger aiptasia is mysteriously missing. There is just a clean spot on the rock. Even better another large one that was nearby only has like 4 tentacles left! Seems they are pigging out at night woo?

So, you mentioned that your peppermint shrimp ate other things that you did not want them to eat. My tank is pretty bare, but I am curious what, if anything, I have might be at risk. I only have some green star polyps, some green button polyps, a ton of red mushroom (anemones?), some Xenia, and some other red zooanthids ( or I think that is what they are). Anything I should keep an eye out for?

Btw, keep up the pictures. Love to live vicariously for now!

As a newbie reefer, I have enjoyed following this thread. Makes my head explode trying to understand all the stuff talked about regarding the various critters. With that said, I was a bit concerned because my recently acquired 39g tank suddenly had aiptasia showing up everywhere. Now, my situation is nowhere near like what you detailed, but in under a week I had over a dozen new ones form, including 3 of them that are quite large! I finally picked up a CUC and I included 2 peppermint shrimp. I was disappointed at first as they have only been hiding near the overflow so far (even had to rescue the smaller one from the overflow box once already!), but this morning I noticed that one of the larger aiptasia is mysteriously missing. There is just a clean spot on the rock. Even better another large one that was nearby only has like 4 tentacles left! Seems they are pigging out at night woo? So, you mentioned that your peppermint shrimp ate other things that you did not want them to eat. My tank is pretty bare, but I am curious what, if anything, I have might be at risk. I only have some green star polyps, some green button polyps, a ton of red mushroom (anemones?), some Xenia, and some other red zooanthids ( or I think that is what they are). Anything I should keep an eye out for? Btw, keep up the pictures. Love to live vicariously for now!

Thanks for checking it out!

Some people have great luck with the Peps, some don't.

Mine ate every one of the 3 or 4 that I had in the first night or two.....then went after the zoas. Ate the skirts off all the way around and a couple all together. If it were me, I'd let them stay until they clean every last one....and wait another couple weeks. Remove them, then add any other coral you like. From what I've seen, they love LPS and zoas. Anything that slightly resembles the nems.

I've had a nasty battle with the GHA....lost a boatload of coral in the process, but starting to see drastic improvement the past couple of days.

I'll update with some before and after shots at some point.....it's embarrassing what the tank turned into....now just looks bare with coral skeletons everywhere.

Ya, wc tomorrow.

What fishy you go'n with?

How do you like the RO/DI maker? I'm glad things are finally turning around for you. We can order coral together again. JUST KIDDING!!!!! :D:lol:

How do you like the RO/DI maker? I'm glad things are finally turning around for you. We can order coral together again. JUST KIDDING!!!!! :D:lol:

LOL, I haven't hooked it up yet.....maybe this weekend? I have been out of town for the past week.

And YES to placing an order.....you'll have room soon enough!

Just checked on my tank and the shrimp I had rescued from the overflow is dead. Was fine this morning, but now he is not so much. Not sure what happened, but the other one and the cleaner shrimp all appear fine.

As for me putting in what I want, I am not sure. Very new to this and do not want to waste a bunch of money...yet. Right now I need better lights. After that, well the wife wants something to pair with a clown...go figure. Not even sure what to look at in that area. Suggestions?

Just checked on my tank and the shrimp I had rescued from the overflow is dead. Was fine this morning, but now he is not so much. Not sure what happened, but the other one and the cleaner shrimp all appear fine. As for me putting in what I want, I am not sure. Very new to this and do not want to waste a bunch of money...yet. Right now I need better lights. After that, well the wife wants something to pair with a clown...go figure. Not even sure what to look at in that area. Suggestions?

Clowns will host anything, everything or nothing....weird little fish. Mine use to love my toadstool. They look pretty, wave in the flow, easy to take care of. Sometimes a hairy mushroom. Mine love the Blastos. After your tanks been up and running for awhile, and you have better lighting you could try a BTA. They can cause problems with other coral though.

This is an old tank that I moved from someone. I took about 80% of the water with me and it has been stable since day 1. Moving the 200lbs+ in the cooler was fun, let me tell you. I am sure it probably helps there is almost 50lbs of live rock in there too. Unfortunately, there is very little in there for corals As I mentioned. Need to figure out what to get and the requirements for it too.

This is an old tank that I moved from someone. I took about 80% of the water with me and it has been stable since day 1. Moving the 200lbs+ in the cooler was fun, let me tell you. I am sure it probably helps there is almost 50lbs of live rock in there too. Unfortunately, there is very little in there for corals As I mentioned. Need to figure out what to get and the requirements for it too.

Established tanks can be fantastic. The last tank I got was a 3 year old BioCube....the thing was as stable as could be.

I'd ditch the old sand via siphoning out during water changes and add new sand in....unless you're bare bottom.

I like a mixed reef, a lot of movement and bright colors. LPS, some nems and zoas look great and are generally easy to keep.

LOL, I haven't hooked it up yet.....maybe this weekend? I have been out of town for the past week.

And YES to placing an order.....you'll have room soon enough!

We'll see about an order :).

So, sounds like it may not have been the water then since you haven't even started using it yet! When you do, you're really going to kick the GHA's ass :).

We'll see about an order :).

So, sounds like it may not have been the water then since you haven't even started using it yet! When you do, you're really going to kick the GHA's ass :).

LOL, I was thinking the same thing......gotta be the water though, or the rock I used leaching Phos.

I finally dumped a ton of GFO in the reactor to nuke it. B)

Archived