Pod Your Reef

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pull some out and take a picture of it on the counter. That GFO I sent is high capacity that shit should of been gone by now.

Will do. Ya, it's gotten worse.

+1 to what lawn said.... do you know the TDS and what are you using to get it (the inline tds meters aren't often that most accurate...).

I am suspecting the ro/di is at fault on this one man. Your running hi-cap gfo and its getting worse.... unless your kids been droppin some serious food in the tank the water source is likely the culprit, and would explain why gfo+ water changes don't work at getting rid of it.

That is GHA alright! What is the TDS on your out RODI water?

Is there slime on some of that GHA? The sideways picture looks like dinos in the back.

I need to test the water....I get it from Vivid.

Looking into a picking up my own unit.....house is way short on space.

That slime looking stuff just showed up a couple days ago. Going crazy over here....

+1 to what lawn said.... do you know the TDS and what are you using to get it (the inline tds meters aren't often that most accurate...).

I am suspecting the ro/di is at fault on this one man. Your running hi-cap gfo and its getting worse.... unless your kids been droppin some serious food in the tank the water source is likely the culprit, and would explain why gfo+ water changes don't work at getting rid of it.

Ya, need to test the water....first, I'll have to pick up a meter :P Is there a trusty one you guys would recommend?

No to the kids and feeding. Way too tall for them to reach. I think it started with the dry rock....I've never had this kind of an issue and I'm nowhere near the stock levels and heavy feeding I've had in the past. Plus I'm skimming and running the GFO...although the GFO is new as of the last 3 - 4 weeks.

I've suspected the water maybe adding fuel to the fire.....I'm a slacker that has lost thousands in coral to this stuff. Guess I'll invest in my own RODI system.....you know, for the health of the family.

So, first step is obviously testing the w/c water and top off water.

Second, would be correcting the add water with an RODI unit.

How do I nuke this shit in the mean time?

So, first step is obviously testing the w/c water and top off water.Second, would be correcting the add water with an RODI unit.How do I nuke this shit in the mean time?
Get in there and pull till your fingers hurt. Change out the GFO once again. I remember it was starting to die then you did waterchanges and that was the last I heard. Plus if you were siphoning the sandbed I am sure that added fuel to the fire.

I have had a little cheap mighty mite RODI from air water and ice for years. I change the filters once a year and that's it.

So, first step is obviously testing the w/c water and top off water.

Second, would be correcting the add water with an RODI unit.

How do I nuke this shit in the mean time?

As far as which TDS tester.... I dunno I am bad and don't test and just use the inline on my ro/di unit which is laughable really.... My filters are 3 yrs old now (OMG I just realized they are 3 yrs old), and it still reads 1, and if I run it for 15-30 min or so can get it down to 0 until I shut the unit off again lol

Keep up on the GFO changes, a good phosphate tester wouldn't hurt, when it looks like the gfo isn't removing phosphate change it out. Manually remove as much as possible, if you really want to go at it, a new set of clean tweezers wouldn't hurt. Hit the rock atleast once a day with a turkey baster, and while I am normally not a big fan, running a filter sock after turkey basting/ manual removal wouldn't hurt even if only temporary while your fighting (but keep in mind running the sock means changing the sock regularly every couple days if not daily...).

I like the AWI units. Here is the one I use:

http://www.airwaterice.com/c=sTw78z9k1X2yp6uk1rBLPFiEn/product/1TYPHOONIII/TYPHOON-III-AQUARIUM-RODI-75-GPD-or-100-GPD.html

I scored it used with a set of all new filters for like $75-100, but didn't get the handheld meter..... the handhelds (even cheapos) are better and more reliable from my understanding then the inlines.

Very cool, man. Thank you!

I thought that first link was for a #####....lol.

Ha ha, dil-do is a "bad" word.

I like the AWI units. Here is the one I use:

http://www.airwaterice.com/c=sTw78z9k1X2yp6uk1rBLPFiEn/product/1TYPHOONIII/TYPHOON-III-AQUARIUM-RODI-75-GPD-or-100-GPD.html

I scored it used with a set of all new filters for like $75-100, but didn't get the handheld meter..... the handhelds (even cheapos) are better and more reliable from my understanding then the inlines.

Decisions, decisions......

That doesn't look like GHA to me at all. That stuff looks more wiry. Well, it could be a type of GHA, but not the easy to eradicate GHA. The easy one is soft and fluffy, for lack of a better description.

This could be Derbesia. I just did a quick google search on it.

That doesn't look like GHA to me at all. That stuff looks more wiry. Well, it could be a type of GHA, but not the easy to eradicate GHA. The easy one is soft and fluffy, for lack of a better description.

This could be Derbasia. I just did a quick google search on it.

A lot of it is soft and fluffy.....my Midas made a bed in it, lol. I believe some is turf on my branch rock....and maybe some others mixed in.....awesome!

-Come fix my tank G!

That doesn't look like GHA to me at all. That stuff looks more wiry. Well, it could be a type of GHA, but not the easy to eradicate GHA. The easy one is soft and fluffy, for lack of a better description.This could be Derbesia. I just did a quick google search on it.
I had wiry GHA growing in my sandbed once. But it kinda looks like Derbesia to.

Good stuff, thanks G.

Is your KH low? You probably read it too, but someone from that link said once they got their KH up, the algae disappeared. pH went up too.

Could have bought a kole tang today! Mark's tropical fish in Studio City had one. I passed though. Didn't feel like acclimating a fish today. Plus I've been overfeeding as it is because of my mandarin. I don't feel comfortable adding any fish right now. My tank might implode if I do LOL. I always feel my tank is a breath away from melt down :lol:.

He was a cutie though. :)

Could have bought a kole tang today! Mark's tropical fish in Studio City had one. I passed though. Didn't feel like acclimating a fish today. Plus I've been overfeeding as it is because of my mandarin. I don't feel comfortable adding any fish right now. My tank might implode if I do LOL. I always feel my tank is a breath away from melt down :lol:.He was a cutie though. :)

LOL, it's always just around the corner.....or under your bed waiting to grab you by the ankle. : ) - I just had my Achilles slashed.

Vivids had a bunch of little ones lately.

Archived