llama roadkill

Which RO/DI?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

llama roadkill

If I were to do a species of Halichoeres rather than a Leopard (they seem kinda hard to care for) would any of these guys work?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+361&pcatid=361

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2675&pcatid=2675

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2285&pcatid=2285

Or could a Leopard work if I had plenty of Macros? I may do a few DT Macros.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were to do a species of Halichoeres rather than a Leopard (they seem kinda hard to care for) would any of these guys work?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+361&pcatid=361

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2675&pcatid=2675

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2285&pcatid=2285

Or could a Leopard work if I had plenty of Macros? I may do a few DT Macros.

The christmas wrasse would be your best bet as a beginner. The radiant is the harder to keep of those 3. You need to do a shit ton more research and pay attention when I say, if you want a leopard wait a minimum 6-12 months.... MINIMUM!

And honestly, you should wait closer to the year mark if not longer.......

Adding macros to your tank won't speed up when you should get one. Adding pods to your tank, won't speed it up..... EXPERIENCE, and a stable healthy established tank and tank routine is what you need most and you will only get that from time and patience!

I have years of experience with leopards, all 5 I have introduced to my tanks have made it out of the sand healthy. I lost 1 to my own stupidity (got her before putting the lids on my tank), and 1 just had a stronger will to die and somehow managed to escape after a year an a half. But I doubt there are many in the nation that have those kinda odds (5/5 through acclimation, 5/5 1st month, 4/5 for 6months+ and 3/4 for 1+yr (the 5th leopard has only been with me for about 6-7 months, but I fully expect it to become 4/5 ;)).... I know what I am doing and talking about when it comes to these little picky bastards.

llama roadkill

The christmas wrasse would be your best bet as a beginner. The radiant is the harder to keep of those 3. You need to do a shit ton more research and pay attention when I say, if you want a leopard wait a minimum 6-12 months.... MINIMUM!And honestly, you should wait closer to the year mark if not longer.......

Oh, if I want a Leopard I will probably wait even longer than a year! :lol:

So the Christmas would be fine?

Oh, if I want a Leopard I will probably wait even longer than a year! :lol: So the Christmas would be fine?

IMO it is the best option of those three. There is always a chance it won't work out, but if I was you I would go with the christmas, yes.

If you would like one with IMO better colors, check out the "fiji xmas wrasse".... Halichoeres biocellatus ;)

llama roadkill

IMO it is the best option of those three. There is always a chance it won't work out, but if I was you I would go with the christmas, yes.

And just to confirm it's a Christmas or Leopard, right? Not both?

And just to confirm it's a Christmas or Leopard, right? Not both?

Yes n no.... Could it be done, sure. Would it be easy to do and would it definitely work out, no. The christmas will compete for food, and they could fight, especially if the christmas is established for quite a while. The tank size also works against you in both of those aspects IMO. Again, possible but personally I think you would be better one or the other..... unless you added them together.....

llama roadkill

Yes n no.... Could it be done, sure. Would it be easy to do and would it definitely work out, no. The christmas will compete for food, and they could fight, especially if the christmas is established for quite a while. The tank size also works against you in both of those aspects IMO. Again, possible but personally I think you would be better one or the other..... unless you added them together.....

Probably. I'd rather the fish be happy than me be happy.

Thats probably one of the best statements I've ever read on a forum when it comes to deciding on getting a fish or not ;) lol

FWIW I loved my melanurus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus). However, he did not love my hermit crabs or my snails. He also did better eating twice a day. He was less of an a-hole to everything else when he was full.

llama roadkill
FWIW I loved my melanurus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus). However, he did not love my hermit crabs or my snails. He also did better eating twice a day. He was less of an a-hole to everything else when he was full.

Really? I've read all Halichoeres wrasses do have a tendency to eat or pick at inverts but it isn't super common. I'll look out for any aggression towards inverts if I get one. Thanks.

I MIGHT DRILL/SILICONE MY TANK THIS WEEKEND! omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Really? I've read all Halichoeres wrasses do have a tendency to eat or pick at inverts but it isn't super common. I'll look out for any aggression towards inverts if I get one. Thanks. I MIGHT DRILL/SILICONE MY TANK THIS WEEKEND! omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Yeah, he was a beautiful fish though. Wait. Somethings actually happening with this tank?? WHAAT.

Really? I've read all Halichoeres wrasses do have a tendency to eat or pick at inverts but it isn't super common.

Said people that wonder why they are replacing their snails/crabs and some shrimp every once in a while ;) lol

I used to watch my yellow coris (Halichoeres chrysus) pick snails off the glass flip em over and eat them fairly regularly, he was also the bastard that would pull beautiful good acro crabs out of colonies spit them onto the sand and rip them apart as well..... which pissed me off more then the snails I don't really care about.

FWIW, the little cost of snails and crabs (and occasionally shrimp) is worth their beauty IMO.

Archived