llama roadkill

Which RO/DI?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

llama roadkill
9 months is a bit of a stretch IMHO. Before I killed my rock the first time, it had been in the tank for over a year and no rock was more colorful than brown or black.except for the rocks purchased with coral on it.

You're just a Debby Downer with the help of facts aren't you! :lol:

You don't have to add anything and it will still cycle even if you start with only dry rock and add nothing. It will just take longer.

Will adding anything speed up the process?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 months is a bit of a stretch IMHO. Before I killed my rock the first time, it had been in the tank for over a year and no rock was more colorful than brown or black.except for the rocks purchased with coral on it.

You just suck at this reefing thing, lol KIDDING (you're awesome). My tank started in May basically when it got wet/light.

It has been almost exactly 7 months and I would say 50% of my rock is covered in purple Coraline.

You're just a Debby Downer with the help of facts aren't you! :lol: Will adding anything speed up the process?

Don't let him get you down, I will see if I can get a pic of my rock!

Will adding anything speed up the process?

Not really, you can add an ammonia source, but it'll take 4-6 weeks. Take your time and enjoy setting up the tank, way too many people here try and rush through setting up there tank and getting it established, so they miss all the different stages that present themselves as the tank matures.

Also +1 on the above. I started with basically 90% dry rock, and now my rock is basically 95% covered with coralline. Also, if I don't scrape my glass it'll cover a pane so that you can't see in in about 4 weeks. Only took 2 years :D

llama roadkill
You just suck at this reefing thing, lol KIDDING. My tank started in May basically when it got wet/light. It has been almost exactly 7 months and I would say 50% of my rock is covered in purple Coraline. Don't let him get you down, I will see if I can get a pic of my rock!
I'm just kidding. I can't argue with science...but Cave Johnson can!
Not really, you can add an ammonia source, but it'll take 4-6 weeks. Take your time and enjoy setting up the tank, way too many people here try and rush through setting up there tank and getting it established, so they miss all the different stages that present themselves as the tank matures. Also +1 on the above. I started with basically 90% dry rock, and now my rock is basically 95% covered with coralline. Also, if I don't scrape my glass it'll cover a pane so that you can't see in in about 4 weeks. Only took 2 years :D
I assumed with LR it will take less time, my 10 only took a week to cycle, or at least complete the initial cycle. Oh, and I found this. Not on topic at all, but thought you guys would enjoy. c4357b6d0351f9af286de58a34d8b0f9_zps4be2

What I did was bought ONE small live rock from a LFS that was COVERED in purple Coraline and it took off from there.
That's what I was planning on doing,
jedimasterben

You're just a Debby Downer with the help of facts aren't you! :lol:

Nah, just a realist. :P

You just suck at this reefing thing, lol KIDDING. My tank started in May basically when it got wet/light.

It has been almost exactly 7 months and I would say 50% of my rock is covered in purple Coraline.

Coralline has never grown well for me except for the past few months, I actually had three dime sized bits grow on my overflow over the last couple of days, but I've never had any issue with sponges, feather dusters, spirorbid worms, etc, and really none made it into the dry rocks. I did have feather dusters starting to pop up in other places, though, so I'd imagine if I'd left the system the way it was (I kick myself every day for not doing that!!), they'd be covering all my rocks. I love feather dusters, they're the only reason I haven't gotten a couple of different wrasses or a butterflyfish.

Nah, just a realist. :P

Coralline has never grown well for me except for the past few months, I actually had three dime sized bits grow on my overflow over the last couple of days, but I've never had any issue with sponges, feather dusters, spirorbid worms, etc, and really none made it into the dry rocks. I did have feather dusters starting to pop up in other places, though, so I'd imagine if I'd left the system the way it was (I kick myself every day for not doing that!!), they'd be covering all my rocks. I love feather dusters, they're the only reason I haven't gotten a couple of different wrasses or a butterflyfish.

Yah, feather dusters are really awesome. Too bad my coris prob eats them all. :(

You're just a Debby Downer with the help of facts aren't you! :lol: Will adding anything speed up the process?

Ok, I havn't cleaned my glass in like a week or two so forgive me.

40B @ 7 months:

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0133_zpsc2cf3677.jpg.html'>DSC_0133_zpsc2cf3677.jpg

Fuge:

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0134_zps6def8c16.jpg.html'>DSC_0134_zps6def8c16.jpg

Coraline showing up in my 29g hex and this rock was added only 3 months ago!! :)

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0135_zpsb27a5429.jpg.html'>DSC_0135_zpsb27a5429.jpg

llama roadkill
Nah, just a realist. :P Coralline has never grown well for me except for the past few months, I actually had three dime sized bits grow on my overflow over the last couple of days, but I've never had any issue with sponges, feather dusters, spirorbid worms, etc, and really none made it into the dry rocks. I did have feather dusters starting to pop up in other places, though, so I'd imagine if I'd left the system the way it was (I kick myself every day for not doing that!!), they'd be covering all my rocks. I love feather dusters, they're the only reason I haven't gotten a couple of different wrasses or a butterflyfish.
Would it be a good idea to buy some of this if I want some corraline?http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/by-manufacturer/purple-up-coraline-algae-starter-kit.htmlOr this?http://www.ipsf.com/corallinebooster.html

Ok, I havn't cleaned my glass in like a week or two so forgive me. 40B @ 7 months: DSC_0133_zpsc2cf3677.jpg Fuge: DSC_0134_zps6def8c16.jpg Coraline showing up in my 29g hex and this rock was added only 3 months ago!! :)DSC_0135_zpsb27a5429.jpg
DDDDDRRRRROOOOOOOOOOLLLLL.

Really? I've always read/heard that clams love high nitrates.

I guess I heard both. Honestly, I don't know what to think when it comes to clams because I read like 100 different things that are the opposite. I think when I told Zeph mine was 10-15 nitrate he said that was on the high end for clams.

It depends what people consider high too. Some people think 5 nitrate is high but I think 5 would be perfect.

Would it be a good idea to buy some of this if I want some corraline? http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/by-manufacturer/purple-up-coraline-algae-starter-kit.html Or this? http://www.ipsf.com/corallinebooster.html

DDDDDRRRRROOOOOOOOOOLLLLL.

Purple up is a waste of money IMO. You just need to seed it and have stable water conditions and time.

jedimasterben

Yah, feather dusters are really awesome. Too bad my coris prob eats them all. :(

Yup, coris wrasses slurp them up.

Ok, I havn't cleaned my glass in like a week or two so forgive me.

40B @ 7 months:

DSC_0133_zpsc2cf3677.jpg

Fuge:

DSC_0134_zps6def8c16.jpg

Coraline showing up in my 29g hex and this rock was added only 3 months ago!! :)

DSC_0135_zpsb27a5429.jpg

Shit on my dick, man!

No. Just give it time or buy all cultured live rock.

Really? I've always read/heard that clams love high nitrates.

They prefer ammonia as their nitrogen source - they actually have to break nitrate molecules apart to make ammonia to use.

It depends what people consider high too. Some people think 5 nitrate is high but I think 5 would be perfect.

Pfft. I can't get my nitrates under 80 these days. The only way you'd know it was high was from the gha I have going on (mostly in the fuge).

Pfft. I can't get my nitrates under 80 these days. The only way you'd know it was high was from the gha I have going on (mostly in the fuge).

Don't sweat it. My previous tank, the nitrates couldn't even register what exactly it was because they were so high it was always max on the testing chart. I was new to mandarin keeping so I dumped in sooooo much food. Somehow very little GHA grew though.

It was ridiculous how much food I could dump in without any ammonia problems because the tank was established for 2 years.

llama roadkill
Yup, coris wrasses slurp them up.

Shit on my dick, man!

No. Just give it time or buy all cultured live rock.

They prefer ammonia as their nitrogen source - they actually have to break nitrate molecules apart to make ammonia to use.

Do you know of any good priced rock with no life on it but some algae? I think TBSaltwater has some...or is it Gulf?

You were doing it wrong then............. My background went from clean as hell to growing coraline in 3 months, in 5 months it was almost covered.

Clams like low nitrates too but they need some nitrate. You can have both.

+1, and they will help keep nitrates lower for the SPS too which is a nice bonus as they are really good filter feeders...

llama roadkill
No more suspense. Just spending!

I HAVE:

Skimmer: SCA 302

Return Pump: Mag 7 (Screw off Ben :P)

Powerhead: Jaebo WP-25 (I will probably upgrade to MP-10 by Christmas)

Overflow: Glass-Holes 700 GPH Complete Overflow Kite

Return: Glass-Holes 3/4" Return Kit

Light: ReefBreeders Value Fixture (I will probably upgrade to Photon24 eventually)

I think that's it...

I NEED:

Rock (Not sure, probably ReefCleaners dry. Would I need 30 or 50 lbs for a minimalist scape?)

Top: DIY BRS Screen Top

Sand: CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand (40lbs)

Eggcrate for bottom.

Wood for skinning.

I think that's it...

This is initial startup equipment. I will be getting supplements as well.

Any suggestions on supplements?

jedimasterben
You were doing it wrong then............. My background went from clean as hell to growing coraline in 3 months, in 5 months it was almost covered.

Coralline just doesn't grow for some, and I'm a prime example lol

Archived