1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
llama roadkill
I've never done it as I don't QT anything... but I have heard it does.....
So I can put fish on right away? I won't of course, though.

And how do you not get ich?! You have tangs, right?

So I can put fish on right away? I won't of course, though.

And how do you not get ich?! You have tangs, right?

I'd definitely test and make sure its stable doing it that way, but from what others claim, yes.

Ich IMO isn't that big of a deal. Healthy fish that are eating can beat it IME. Yeah I have a yellow tang, I had a small naso in my 180 as well. People panic and stress their fish out more trying to treat it then they often need to which makes the ich worse and the fishes immune system lower making the fish more vulnerable. While I have a tang, I also have wrasse and acro addictions and still do not QT anything.

Immune system really has nothing to do with external parasitic attacks.

If they already have the parasite and you go stressing them out even more it definitely don't help to have a lowered immune system lol

But hey what do I know..... I've never lost an established fish to ich, even despite my entire tank having it after getting a couple fish from a place I knew I shouldn't have.... I lost the 2 that brought it into the tank but that wasn't nearly as big of a deal as my show size angel and 21 other fish would have been lol

jedimasterben

There really is no 'if' they already have the parasite. Any fish collected and held for more than just a couple of hours in a wholesaler/transshipper/LFS system will be infected.

Only around 30% of wild fish are infected.

There really is no 'if' they already have the parasite. Any fish collected and held for more than just a couple of hours in a wholesaler/transshipper/LFS system will be infected.

Only around 30% of wild fish are infected.

And healthy fish beat it, unhealthy fish don't......

llama roadkill

And healthy fish beat it, unhealthy fish don't......

So technically one fish may have it, it spreads to others, they develop symptoms, and that one fish doesn't have it? Or is the ich just in a different phase?

jedimasterben

There is no 'beating it'. The parasite continues its life cycle, and the fish isn't terribly affected by it sometimes. Other times, not so much.

There is no 'beating it'. The parasite continues its life cycle, and the fish isn't terribly affected by it sometimes. Other times, not so much.

Believe what you want man.

So technically one fish may have it, it spreads to others, they develop symptoms, and that one fish doesn't have it? Or is the ich just in a different phase?

It'd be a different phase. If one fish in the tank has it its very likely they all have it to some extent.

... I'll believe what is true and correct about the parasite. There is hard data on this.

Your right, my tank hasn't been free of it in years despite me taking no "proven course of removal" LOL

jedimasterben

Your right, my tank hasn't been free of it in years despite me taking no "proven course of removal" LOL

There is anecdotal evidence of ich 'multiplying to death' when nothing goes into the system for around 300 days, but it's only anecdotal.

There is anecdotal evidence of ich 'multiplying to death' when nothing goes into the system for around 300 days, but it's only anecdotal.

Yup and cleaner wrasses and shrimp don't help with it at all either............. hahahahhaahhahahahahaaahahahahahahaaa... ha ha.

And I've NEVER gone ~300 days without ANYTHING new going into the system. Guess its just a ticking time bomb of when it will appear again LOL

jedimasterben

Yup and cleaner wrasses and shrimp don't help with it at all either............. hahahahhaahhahahahahaaahahahahahahaaa... ha ha.

Uh, yeah? That's been known for longer than I've been alive.

And I've NEVER gone ~300 days without ANYTHING new going into the system. Guess its just a ticking time bomb of when it will appear again LOL

Yep.

jedimasterben

Google pulls up all the data you'd ever want on the parasite. What kills it, what doesn't kill, how fish deal with it in the wild, its life cycle and how it plays out in captivity, etc.

And I mean real data, not just idiots repeating to add a cleaner shrimp and feed garlic.

llama roadkill

The famous Ich debate!

Use copper llama, cupramine is amazing.

Don't do what Chris! did. He is just a lucky bastard. :)

Of course not, it'd be like a solo game of Russian Roulette.

So Copper or Cupramine?

llama roadkill

Sorry, another question.

Can Cupramine be used in a QT tank that will eventually house corals/inverts? Or does it need to be cleaned after treatment?

Don't do what Chris! did. He is just a lucky bastard. :)

I'm not the only one thats done it, althought I have done it with over 30 fish and the only 2 I have ever lost I removed from my main system and blew up with it within 24hrs of being out of the LFS cesspool that I got them from..... but I never really believed them to be overly healthy anyways which was why I removed them instead of leaving them in the main system where all the others survived it. I know several guys who have been around 10-25 yrs and do the same thing without issue. I don't need or care about science or even luck, I just give a damn about having healthy fish ;)

Sorry, another question. Can Cupramine be used in a QT tank that will eventually house corals/inverts? Or does it need to be cleaned after treatment?

No, that is why I said to split it or have 2 QTs if your going to qt coral as well as fish.

Archived