Which RO/DI?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

llama roadkill

Hi!

In my soon to be 75 Gallon Reef I would like to try some sort of clownfish, but I am not 100 percent sure what kind, or even if I really want one. My planned, but of course not final, is...

1 Kole Tang

1 Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Pair

1 Yellow Coris Wrasse

Pair of Bangaii Cardinals

A school of 3 or 5 fish, either Lyretail Anthias, Zebra Dartfish, or Lemon Chromis

I don't really have the rest planned out, but eventually I will have a Mandarin in the DT after a few months, and an angler in the refugium.

What does everyone think? Could a pair of clownfish live with these? If so, what type of clownfish?

Thanks guys!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Seems like a lot of fish IMO, but I've never done anything on that scale. I like my percs. Supposedly, ocellaris are a bit more social. Other clowns get pretty big. You'd probably be better off sticking with one of those species if you want a pair.

I love the look of clarkii's, but they get pretty big. I wouldn't do a pair in anything less than a 120.

What are your plans for corals? Will it be FOWLR? What are your filtration plans?

llama roadkill

Seems like a lot of fish IMO, but I've never done anything on that scale. I like my percs. Supposedly, ocellaris are a bit more social. Other clowns get pretty big. You'd probably be better off sticking with one of those species if you want a pair.I love the look of clarkii's, but they get pretty big. I wouldn't do a pair in anything less than a 120.What are your plans for corals? Will it be FOWLR? What are your filtration plans?

I may not do the school...

I was also thinking Clarkiis, but they do get big...

It will be a mixed reef. I may eventually try my luck (or research!) with clams and SPS, probably a monti cap first...

EDIT: Saw your last question, I will either have a 20L or 29 Gallon sump, with an appropriately rated skimmer (still deciding) a refugium of 15-25 gallons, maybe larger based on the tank size. The return will be in the last chamber. Maybe a Mag 5 or 7. I may do a bag of carbon, too.

Really? I thought Maroons were the most aggressive.

Yeah, but I like the way they look so if it was me that's what I'd get. Just add it/them last.

llama roadkill

Oh. Okay. I was looking for a more peaceful resident. The last fish I add (Still readjusting stock) will either be a Royal Gramma, Flame Angel, or Kole Tang.

llama roadkill

I would like something that will pair and possibly breed. If I could capture any fry they will go in the QT if no fish are present. What clown is the easiest to pair and breed?

Your 13 right?

Your not gonna breed clowns for a while for 2 reasons

1. It takes 2-3yrs for female clowns to mature fully, and they'll get aggressive

2. Your going to stay up till like 2 am collecting the fry and spend a lot of time and money for breeding equipment and caring for the babies.

IMO try breeding to cardinals, they'll be much easier.

llama roadkill

Okay. Seemed like a longshot anyway. I actually plan to do a pair of Bangaiis. My neighbors know very little about fish, yet have a large tank, with flourescent bulbs, and an anemone...

Anyway, they had baby cardinals. If they could do it, I assume anyone could!

False percs are likely the easiest to breed. buy a mated pair, they are fairly cheap. If you want a super beautiful clown I suggest the Black Ice clowns, they are amazing! You won't be able to find a mated pair for cheap though =)

Also, Maroons are mean as hell =( especially if you get the an anemone, go anywhere near it and you will be nipped for sure haha

You can also get a "designer perc" so you can have a one of a kind... Get a snowflake and a onxy and you'll be happy. :-D

llama roadkill

False percs are likely the easiest to breed. buy a mated pair, they are fairly cheap. If you want a super beautiful clown I suggest the Black Ice clowns, they are amazing! You won't be able to find a mated pair for cheap though =)

Also, Maroons are mean as hell =( especially if you get the an anemone, go anywhere near it and you will be nipped for sure haha

Ya, maroons seem pretty mean. I would want a BTA after a year or so, so I don't think that would work with maroons!

You can also get a "designer perc" so you can have a one of a kind... Get a snowflake and a onxy and you'll be happy. :-D

The designer Percs and Ocellaris are pretty cool. I may not get a designer since they are so expensive, but I do like regular Black Ocellaris.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that I don't really care if they breed, I just want to have a pair that cares for each other. I will have lots of symbiotic relationships like clownfish/anemone and goby/shrimp.

Some designers aren't to expensive. A few that come to mind are naked's, low grade snowflakes, mochas, and fancy occies.

Ya, maroons seem pretty mean. I would want a BTA after a year or so, so I don't think that would work with maroons!

The designer Percs and Ocellaris are pretty cool. I may not get a designer since they are so expensive, but I do like regular Black Ocellaris.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that I don't really care if they breed, I just want to have a pair that cares for each other. I will have lots of symbiotic relationships like clownfish/anemone and goby/shrimp.

Maroons natural host in the wild are BTA's IIRC

But they get 6-7 inches and can be incredibly aggressive.

llama roadkill

I would rather have a clown that is more peaceful and stays small. Occies and Percs seem to be the best candidates.

Since you like pairs.. a pair of neon gobys would be cool, they perch together, its cute. Plus they will clean the tang/angel and thats symbiotic and they are small so won't really add anything to a 75g as far as bioload.

Pair of cleaner or fire shrimp might be cool too for inverts. Just be sure to get a larger pair and they will be fine with the wrasse.

llama roadkill

Soooo....

Pair of Neons, Sharknose, or Yellowlined Gobies (Hybrids) with Angel and Tang

Pair of Clowns (Percs, Occies, or SKUNK :P ) and BTA

Pair of Cleaner Shrimp with Angel and Tang

Watchman or Sleeper Goby, maybe male/female pair and Candy Cane Pistol

Sounds awesome!

Watchmen or Shrimp goby, sleepers just get 7 inches, destroy your sandbed and any frags on it and ignore the shrimp.

Sounds cool.

llama roadkill
Watchmen or Shrimp goby, sleepers just get 7 inches, destroy your sandbed and any frags on it and ignore the shrimp.

Sounds cool.

Really? Watchman it is. Are the male and female distinguishable by color, the female being duller?

Really? Watchman it is. Are the male and female distinguishable by color, the female being duller?

Yes, but I believe the female still starts out yellow than turns grey as they age so may be difficult to ID one if it is a younger YWG. I don't think this is 100% fact though

gobies2.jpg

llama roadkill

Yes, but I believe the female still starts out yellow than turns grey as they age so may be difficult to ID one if it is a younger YWG.

gobies2.jpg

Cool. I think the female still looks pretty. I will try to see if my LFS can special order them. Off topic, but will a Flame Angel or Coral Beauty be okay in a reef.

Cool. I think the female still looks pretty. I will try to see if my LFS can special order them. Off topic, but will a Flame Angel or Coral Beauty be okay in a reef.

Hit or miss.. may peck at your corals and clams or may not. Keeping it well feed should help but no guarantee. It should be fine with your fish though.

Archived