llama roadkill

Which RO/DI?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

llama roadkill
Get a bunch of nass snails, maybe a fighting conch, good params, and lots of microfauna

That way you won't have to clean it OR release whatever toxins are in there!

I am getting at least 20 nassarius and a few fighting conchs. What brand of sand would you reccomend?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a couple dumb, more really dumb, questions. Is it live sand? I have heard crushed shell is notorious for building up nitrates and toxic gas. Is this true?

It is a dry argonite sand, you can buy "live" if you want but not much is "live" in bagged sand. Waste of $ imo.

The crushed shell you are referiung to is crushed coral and yes it is a PITA to keep clean. Avoid it.

If you want to keep a pistol/goby or a jawfish, buy a medium grain argonite (live or dry) sand as it is perfect for burrowing. Sugar sand is too fine to make tunnels and crushed coral can cut up the fish when they try and dig. I would also give them a handful of rubble as they will use it in their tunnel systems to stabalize their burrow enterances.

llama roadkill

It is a dry argonite sand, you can buy "live" if you want but not much is "live" in bagged sand. Waste of $ imo.

The crushed shell you are referiung to is crushed coral and yes it is a PITA to keep clean. Avoid it.

If you want to keep a pistol/goby or a jawfish, buy a medium grain argonite (live or dry) sand as it is perfect for burrowing. Sugar sand is too fine to make tunnels and crushed coral can cut up the fish when they try and dig. I would also give them a handful of rubble as they will use it in their tunnel systems to stabalize their burrow enterances.

So the sand you mentioned is the best choice?

So the sand you mentioned is the best choice?

Its what I use, not sure if there is a omg best ever choice as a lot of them are the same.

It is not as big as the pic shows, that is just magnified.

"The addition of small shells makes it ideal for aquariums with mature jawfish or burrowing invertebrates. 1.0 to 2.0 mm grain. "

Be sure to rinse it.

I believe Llama here wants a leopard wrasse, which will destroy themselves in larger grain/sharper sands. I've seen people have the larger grain near the rockwork/burrowing area and suger fine everywhere else.

I believe Llama here wants a leopard wrasse, which will destroy themselves in larger grain/sharper sands. I've seen people have the larger grain near the rockwork/burrowing area and suger fine everywhere else.

Ahhh, yeah you would have to do two different types. I hate fine sand :angry:

llama roadkill

I am not sure if I want a leopard anymore. They are very pretty but seem like more of a disease prone delicate fish. I am not sure if I am knowledgable enough to care for one. I even have one as my screensaver!

I don't know how much work cleaning two types of sand is and I may end up changing rock work because I SUCK at making choices.

llama roadkill
Halichoeres wrasse are still an option, but they need the fine sand...

How hard is it really to clean fine sand?

How hard is it really to clean fine sand?

I just hate fine sand cuz it blows around easy and irritates corals. Just a PITA.

Halichoeres wrasse are still an option, but they need the fine sand...

Would a spot with fine sand work? I've heard of people doing this but IDK, seems iffy to me.

Iffy iffy

A tub of fine sand would be better cause it'd be more noticeable.

Makes sense, would also make the tank look tacky. :( Still trying to decide on a wrasse myself, I like the pink-streaked but my midas prob just bully him since he is so peaceful (although he leaves my cardinal alone.. so who knows).

llama roadkill
Iffy iffy

A tub of fine sand would be better cause it'd be more noticeable.

What do you mean "container"? Like Tupperware?

llama roadkill
Like a lunchbox plastic container thingy

Interesting. Could I use the sand Tamberav recommended and put a large amount of fine sand in a certain area instead?

1. That'd be very risky, as I said, the wrasse could scratch itself leading to infection and even death.

2. Sure, if you'd like that. Just DO NOT disturb the sandbed except for the top 1/2-3/4 of an inch.

If it were me, I would just choose between the wrasse who needs fine sand and the jawfish & goby who need a larger grain.

Main reason is, If this is going to be a reef tank, aesthetics matter and mixing sand sizes is meh.

llama roadkill
1. That'd be very risky, as I said, the wrasse could scratch itself leading to infection and even death.

2. Sure, if you'd like that. Just DO NOT disturb the sandbed except for the top 1/2-3/4 of an inch.

If it were me, I would just choose between the wrasse who needs fine sand and the jawfish & goby who need a larger grain.

Main reason is, If this is going to be a reef tank, aesthetics matter and mixing sand sizes is meh.

Are there any wrasses that won't try to burrow? Should I not do a DSB but a shallow of about 1 1/2?

Of course, Flasher and Fairy wrasse are amazing and active, and instead of sleeping in sand they sleep in mucus cocoons.

llama roadkill
Of course, Flasher and Fairy wrasse are amazing and active, and instead of sleeping in sand they sleep in mucus cocoons.

Not something a person would normally hear unless they are in the fish hobby! I always read parrotfish do it. It would be fun to see a wrasse in a cocoon. That said, would the sand type still matter, or would it have to be one or the other for wrasses?

llama roadkill

Would having the CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand Tamberav mentioned allow a Fairy or Flasher Wrasse?

Archived