llama roadkill

Which RO/DI?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

llama roadkill
I dunno, I know barely anything on ATS's...

Will this work?

Chamber 1: SCA-303 Skimmer

Chamber 2: Refugium

Chamber 3: Return and maybe UV Sterilizer

I am asking for some stuff for Christmas this year so I may eventually get an ATO and maybe chiller if needed.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO

Do a fuge or skimmer (fuge in biggest chamber, skimmer in whatever will fit it)

and a carbon reactor, maybe a biopellet/GFO reactor if there are nutrient issues

No UV IMO, a heater could take it's place.

I always recommend a fuge, ATS, or skimmer whenever possible.
Algae Turf Scrubber

AKA a big sheet of algae

I dunno, I know barely anything on ATS's...

I always recommend stuff I know absolutely nothing about too.

llama roadkill
IMO

Do a fuge or skimmer (fuge in biggest chamber, skimmer in whatever will fit it)

and a carbon reactor, maybe a biopellet/GFO reactor if there are nutrient issues

No UV IMO, a heater could take it's place.

I live in FL, so temp gets high even at night. I will look at the reactors.

I always recommend stuff I know absolutely nothing about too.

Lol, I've heard good things about them, but so far haven't really researched them very much.

llama roadkill
Lol, I've heard good things about them, but so far haven't really researched them very much.

My mom says I can really only get the basics now (i.e. skimmer, lighting, ect.) and can get I nessecary but helpful things later. I probably won't try any SPS or Clams except Monti Cap for about 6-12 months anyway.

llama roadkill

I have a plan:

Skimmer from SCA

Lights from Reef Breeders

Dry rock from Reef Cleaners

Skimmer and Pumps from Marine Depot

Tanks from Petco (75 and 40b)

Live Rock from LFS

Sand from Drs. Foster and Smith

I will probably find a way to bundle them all on a couple sites so I can save on shipping and use coupons.

llama roadkill
No, IIRC a fine mesh (Sometimes with a rough surface) with light and water dripping over it is used.

Could I just use filter floss?

llama roadkill
I think you can't, maybe start a new thread for it...

Hmm....maybe I will just research it.

I am deciding between Tomini, Powder Brown, and Powder Blue. Are the Powders even suitable?

You can use the mesh from the craft store and rough up the surface with sand paper if your making a DIY algae scrubber.

llama roadkill
You can use the mesh from the craft store and rough up the surface with sand paper if your making a DIY algae scrubber.

Interesting. Thanks for the idea. What do you think about the tangs?

llama roadkill
IMO the only sutible tangs for a 75 are Purples, Yellows, and small bristletooths.

OK. Between Tomini and Yellow which is more docile?

llama roadkill
Depends on the individual, probably Tomini.

I went to my LFS today and they had both and said they get regular shipments of each.

1. Could they live together?

2. This is just some thing that has been bothering me for a while, but how do you get the "I Support Nano Reef" sticker thing below one's name? It has just been bugging' me!

llama roadkill

I also wanted to mention that I ran into someone at my LFS who has a couple marine tanks. IIRC his largest is 250 Gallons reef. He is getting rid of his 75 to make money for his new build, one that will be built into the foundation of his new home. He is only asking $500. That includes sump, stand, skimmer, flow, and pretty much everything else. It was fish only, but I may keep his tiny dwarf lionfish in the sump until it gets larger.

I believe he said his bulbs were CF, so should I upgrade or would they actually support corals? I decided to keep away from SPS, as he said he has had very large problems with SPS in all of his tanks and he has kept tanks since he was 13 like me.

If I was you I would pass on it so you can focus on your one tank. I have always had my attention split by two and never end up really working on them both. But if you think you can, go ahead. Also, I think there was something in Albert's thread about algae scrubbers, there's also an algae scrubber forum and tons of instructional threads.

llama roadkill
If I was you I would pass on it so you can focus on your one tank. I have always had my attention split by two and never end up really working on them both. But if you think you can, go ahead. Also, I think there was something in Albert's thread about algae scrubbers, there's also an algae scrubber forum and tons of instructional threads.

This would be the tank. I haven't bought anything yet.

I would get more info on what type of pumps/skimmer, ect.

Definitely. He is emailing or texting me soon.

Archived