Final Answer: 40B!

llama roadkill

Which RO/DI?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

Could this stock work? Pair of Bangaiis Pair of Neons Goby/ Shrimp Pair Flasher or Fairy Wrasse Maybe others.

Yes with room for more

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
llama roadkill
No, the shrimp goby and jawfish would probably fight.

So maybe just the Jawfish?

Also, what do you think of a Blue Jaw Trigger? Coral and Sessile Invert safe but not crustacean safe?

llama roadkill
Yes

No, the trigger will need at least a 125 once fully grown

That's what I assumed. If you were to stock the tank what would you do? Just want some opinions from the stocking master!

Trio of Zoramia leptacantha OR trio of Ptereleotris heteroptera

1-2 Elacatinus sp.

1 Amblyeleotris or Cryptocentrus sp. with Pistol shrimp

Pair of small Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus

1 Meiacanthus sp.

Really similar to your list, with a few of my favorites, of course there are many options. I prefer tanks that have many small-medium sized fish or with a bunch of small-medium sized fish and one larger centerpiece fish.

HTH

Could I add a Fang Blenny and a Jawfish? Would the Jawfish be okay if I had a 1 1/2" sandbed with a PVC home? I would place him near it and also feed him near it if he doesn't take to it right away. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/267435-diy-jawfish-house/

I would do a 3 inch sand bed. PVC home isn't a guarantee. He may still be unhappy and end up in a corner stressed when he doesn't use it. Three inches at least gives enough to dig under a rock and make a burrow.

No, the shrimp goby and jawfish would probably fight.

Mine get along great in a 40B, they have burrows next to each other and there is zero aggression (I was worried there would be tbh). HOWEVER, mileage may vary as each fish is different.

llama roadkill

I would do a 3 inch sand bed. PVC home isn't a guarantee. He may still be unhappy and end up in a corner stressed when he doesn't use it. Three inches at least gives enough to dig under a rock and make a burrow.

Mine get along great in a 40B, they have burrows next to each other and there is zero aggression (I was worried there would be tbh). HOWEVER, mileage may vary as each fish is different.

Could I do a school of Firefish? Or will they develop a pecking order and kill the weaker one. I would like a school of there fish like you said 1.0.

Could I do a school of Firefish? Or will they develop a pecking order and kill the weaker one. I would like a school of there fish like you said 1.0.

I wouldn't, they do fine together for awhile then a pair forms and 3rd man out gets beat up.

Some cards and dartfish are perfect for that, firefish are one of the few dartfish not suitable for schooling unless it's a huge aquarium with tons of them.

I'm pretty sure you could keep a trio together. If it was me I'd just dedicate the whole tank to a batfish. Reading another post now however, if the pair forming and the 3rd one being left out in fact does happen, why do they sell trios at liveaquaria?

llama roadkill
Some cards and dartfish are perfect for that, firefish are one of the few dartfish not suitable for schooling unless it's a huge aquarium with tons of them.

Any other good schoolers besides cardinals? I worry my Bangaiis would fight with other species.

I'm pretty sure you could keep a trio together. If it was me I'd just dedicate the whole tank to a batfish. Reading another post now however, if the pair forming and the 3rd one being left out in fact does happen, why do they sell trios at liveaquaria?

I would love a batfish, but there are two reasons I can't get one.

1. Not reef safe.

2. Gets too big.

Any other good schoolers besides cardinals? I worry my Bangaiis would fight with other species. I would love a batfish, but there are two reasons I can't get one. 1. Not reef safe. 2. Gets too big.

Oh that was actually me being sarcastic, haha. Bangaiis are generally peaceful I'd say.

llama roadkill
Oh that was actually me being sarcastic, haha. Bangaiis are generally peaceful I'd say.

Do you know any small schooling fish besides cardinals that would be nice and peaceful? I will eventually add a mandarin and possibly a leopard wrasse so I want a peaceful community.

Those are dartfish.. a firefish is a type of dartfish but since he specifically said firefish.. I just assume he means those exact ones.

There are dartfish that can be kept in trio's but they also get to 5 inches which would cut down on other stocking options.

Do you know any small schooling fish besides cardinals that would be nice and peaceful? I will eventually add a mandarin and possibly a leopard wrasse so I want a peaceful community.

Scissortail gobies I think could work, and so could chromis... but I'm sure most people including myself dislike Chromis so... I really do think a trio of firefish could work though, I mean it wouldn't make sense if to sell them together if they didn't, right?

Scissortail gobies I think could work, and so could chromis... but I'm sure most people including myself dislike Chromis so... I really do think a trio of firefish could work though, I mean it wouldn't make sense if to sell them together if they didn't, right?

The ones you are referring to that school are Ptereleotris sp. and firefish are Nemateleotris sp. Common names make things confusing :>

Scientific names ftw.

llama roadkill

Technically pet stores don't mean to permantly mean to keep fish together, they expect them to sell. Would any of these work?

Zebra Dartfish

Blue Reef Chromis

Lemon Chromis

Some Chromis are prettier than others IMO.

Technically pet stores don't mean to permantly mean to keep fish together, they expect them to sell. Would any of these work? Zebra Dartfish Blue Reef Chromis Lemon Chromis Some Chromis are prettier than others IMO.

Chromis have same problems as firefish.

Zebra dartfish would work for schooling. No idea on if there is stocking room though cuz I always overstock :>

llama roadkill

Chromis have same problems as firefish.

Zebra dartfish would work for schooling. No idea on if there is stocking room though cuz I always overstock :>

Would they end u p fighting with each other? Could I add a single Firefish as my first fish?

OK ok slow down.

Most dartfish may get 5-6 inches in length but are skinny and thin, a 3 inch clownfish probably weighs more and produces more waste. Plus they aren't super territorial with most fish so other fish will have more space to roam.

Firefish may be scrappy with the other darts, not really sure though... Same with the cards

If you want chromis, get a more unusual species that isn't seen as much, and get like 20 of them in a huge tank.

IIRC you have a 1.5 inch sand bed, either make it 3-4 icnhes (Super fine grain) Or fill a container with sand (So it has a place to go when stressed/scared or a place to sleep.)

llama roadkill
OK ok slow down.

Most dartfish may get 5-6 inches in length but are skinny and thin, a 3 inch clownfish probably weighs more and produces more waste. Plus they aren't super territorial with most fish so other fish will have more space to roam.

Firefish may be scrappy with the other darts, not really sure though... Same with the cards

If you want chromis, get a more unusual species that isn't seen as much, and get like 20 of them in a huge tank.

IIRC you have a 1.5 inch sand bed, either make it 3-4 icnhes (Super fine grain) Or fill a container with sand (So it has a place to go when stressed/scared or a place to sleep.)

Maybe not the dartfish or the clowns then... I suppose I will stock as I go.

How hard is it to clean a 3-4 sandbed? I wanted a shallow sandbed so I wouldn't have to clean it.

Maybe not the dartfish or the clowns then... I suppose I will stock as I go. How hard is it to clean a 3-4 sandbed? I wanted a shallow sandbed so I wouldn't have to clean it.

Get a bunch of nass snails, maybe a fighting conch, good params, and lots of microfauna

That way you won't have to clean it OR release whatever toxins are in there!

Maybe not the dartfish or the clowns then... I suppose I will stock as I go. How hard is it to clean a 3-4 sandbed? I wanted a shallow sandbed so I wouldn't have to clean it.

You still have to clean a shallow sand bed. You still have to clean a bare bottom :P for best results imo.

Archived