Final Answer: 40B!

llama roadkill

Which RO/DI?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

How long does it take to acclimate them to salt, say, from the pet store's freshwater?

I've had a few mollies in my reef tanks before. No acclimation, literally net them from one and throw them in the other. They could care less. I've gone full fresh to full salt like that and brackish to full salt and back to brackish.

Honey badger don't give a shit.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
llama roadkill

I've had a few mollies in my reef tanks before. No acclimation, literally net them from one and throw them in the other. They could care less. I've gone full fresh to full salt like that and brackish to full salt and back to brackish. Honey badger don't give a shit.

f1ceb2d0790ba5e4c3b281190a0c479e_zps6d95

What do you guys recommend for QT? 1 week and if no symptoms of disease put into DT and if there are symptoms of disease treat until they clear up and wait 1-2 weeks?

They live in estuaries, where the salinity changes so rapidly it'll make your head spin.

Wow, didn't know that about them. That and a firefish would be nice starters.

Except that I'll have to feed them Nori or another algae supplement.

jedimasterben

Three to six weeks. All fish need to be treated for internal parasites, then external parasites, then anything else if need be.

llama roadkill

Three to six weeks. All fish need to be treated for internal parasites, then external parasites, then anything else if need be.

What meds would you recommend? Should I QT corals and inverts or just dip the corals and inspect invert's shell if they have one?

jedimasterben

Prazipro, chloroquine phosphate, and then others as needed based on the specific illness. Meds don't keep, so you can't really buy them in advance.

I don't QT corals or inverts, but remember that if you don't, then you could be introducing things that you don't want.

llama roadkill
Prazipro, chloroquine phosphate, and then others as needed based on the specific illness. Meds don't keep, so you can't really buy them in advance.

I don't QT corals or inverts, but remember that if you don't, then you could be introducing things that you don't want.

Should I keep the corals in the QT for a day or two just to inspect it?

Just manually inspect it, dip it for pests, and dump it in your DT and get bubble algae, apstia, dino, bryopsis like the rest of us. There can be nothing on the frag but it will show up from spores, ect anyways. One day in QT won't do anything.

My perfectly clean maxima clam had all sorts of crazy types of hitchhiker algae growing off its shell a month later.

llama roadkill

Just manually inspect it, dip it for pests, and dump it in your DT and get bubble algae, apstia, dino, bryopsis like the rest of us. There can be nothing on the frag but it will show up from spores, ect anyways. One day in QT won't do anything.

My perfectly clean maxima clam had all sorts of crazy types of hitchhiker algae growing off its shell a month later.

2b19a90adf61fe5709ba7365a7d91aed_zps292c

2b19a90adf61fe5709ba7365a7d91aed_zps292c

y-so-srs-cod.jpg

I believe it's pronounced LEEDLE LEEDLE LEEDLE LEE. Study it.

YES, MA'AM SIR!!! ;)

On the topic of mollys, I'd be willing for you to send a few over here. Prolly good shark bait :lol:

llama roadkill
YES, MA'AM SIR!!! ;)On the topic of mollys, I'd be willing for you to send a few over here. Prolly good shark bait :lol:
YOU WILL NOT CALL ME MA'AM MA'AM!

How do you guys feel about 50/50 LR and Dry Rock.

If you are going to use copper or several other meds you will want a separate coral QT if your going to qt corals at all....

llama roadkill

If you are going to use copper or several other meds you will want a separate coral QT if your going to qt corals at all....

That can't be done. 1 QT period. Not my rules. :(

That can't be done. 1 QT period. Not my rules. :(

Then decide which is more important to you to QT.... or you could get a bigger QT and split it in half, still technically 1 qt tank.... its not breaking the rules, just adjusting them to work more effectively :)

llama roadkill

Then decide which is more important to you to QT.... or you could get a bigger QT and split it in half, still technically 1 qt tank.... its not breaking the rules, just adjusting them to work more effectively :)

Hmm...maybe a 20L with a panel of glass or something inbetween? What about filtration? Two filters?

Hmm...maybe a 20L with a panel of glass or something inbetween? What about filtration? Two filters?

Yeah that would work. Yup, you would need 2 separate filters (atleast if you wanted to be able to QT fish and coral at the same time) because you need to keep the water 100% separate.... but filters aren't that much, if you had to you wouldn't even need to get them at the same time.

llama roadkill

Yeah that would work. Yup, you would need 2 separate filters (atleast if you wanted to be able to QT fish and coral at the same time) because you need to keep the water 100% separate.... but filters aren't that much, if you had to you wouldn't even need to get them at the same time.

What do you mean?

I will be insta cycling the tank with filter media from my 10.

What do you mean? I will be insta cycling the tank with filter media from my 10.

What part don't you understand? lol

a 20l with a piece of glass splitting it into 2 separate areas would work.

You would need a filter for each side if you wanted to be able to QT fish and corals at the same time (fish on one side, corals on the other....)

Filters aren't very expensive, but you wouldn't really need to buy them both at the same time (you just couldn't QT both fish and coral at the same time if you didn't have them both already).

Archived