Final Answer: 40B!

llama roadkill

Which RO/DI?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which RO/DI System?

• Aquasafe Canada 100 GPD 7-Stage
    • Refurb Spectrapure 90 GPD
    • BRS 4-Stage Value 75 GPD

I'd say go for the 165..I would love all that space. Put both the 40s underneath an make one a fuge and one a sump :) that's what I would do lol

I was thinking it might suck to do any sort of maintenance on it being that tall though. The double 40B is a good idea though.

What bothers me most is WC's.. idk how much people actually do on such big tanks.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great deal, perhaps I will wait for a 125g to pop up. The 165g has all that nice extra gallon-age but it is kind of tall.

What are the dims on a 165? If it's the same as a 125 but taller, ditch it. Fish swim mostly side to side, not up and down. But coral grows up...

Edit:

Tall tank maintenance sucks. Siphoning and algae scrubbing are a lot more difficult. Worth it though!

I do about 10% a month. Has been ok so far. Only thing is that the amount of top off required is incredibly high.

What are the dims on a 165? If it's the same as a 125 but taller, ditch it. Fish swim mostly side to side, not up and down. But coral grows up...

72x20x27

2 inches wider but 7 inches taller than a 125 I think? Thinking it may be best to pick up a 125 if I can find one.

Theres a 80g deep blue but that guy wants way too much for it. $440 when amazon will ship it to my house for $320. I'm thinking he got ripped off somewhere along the line. Too bad.

72x20x27

2 inches wider but 7 inches taller than a 125 I think?

72" is just beautiful! I ended up with a 60" one, but its a bit wider. 125s come in 48", 60" and 70", and width decreases as length increases (obviously).

72" is just beautiful! I ended up with a 60" one, but its a bit wider. 125s come in 48", 60" and 70", and width decreases as length increases (obviously).

Oh really? I thought 125's were 72 x 18 x 20. Guess I am wrong there.

I decided for my next tank I am picking what fish I want first THEN buying a tank big enough to hold them all. I was supposed to upgrade this spring but my husband wants to double major at his school so now I have to wait another year before we move into a house.

Here is my list:

Bundoon Blenny

Royal Gramma

Schooling Bannerfish

Black Snowflake Clownfish Pair

Blue-Spotted Jawfish

Leopard Wrasse

Bellus Angelfish

Flame Wrasse Pair or Trio

Starkii Damsel

Metallic Foxface

Neon Goby Pair

Orange-Stripe Prawn Goby

Potters Angelfish (Maybe, might eat my coral)

Lay it on me, what size tank should I get?

I would do a 4 x 2 footprint tank at least with 5+ feet being better, height doesn't really matter

Oh really? I thought 125's were 72 x 18 x 20. Guess I am wrong there.

That's the beauty of it. You can find 125s in 4', 5' & 6' versions. It all depends on how wide you want it. I'm personally happy with the dimensions on my tank, any narrower and my scape would't work. In the end, for fish, all that matters is lots of length and width.

125's are 6 x 18 x 20

120's are 4 x 2 x 2.

180's are 6 x 2 x2

I think 135's are 125s but wider....

You can find a 125 in whatever dimension really without going custom. And if you do the math, they're not all actually 125 gallons.

Ha, I was PMing him with an offer last night and my internet went out. :mellow: It's a sign, because now I feel like it is too much tank after sleeping on it. If I went a bit smaller, I could even use my same pump/skimmer, ect which is huge savings imo.

I think I will hold out for either a used 120g or a 125g to pop up. If that never happens, amazon will send me a 80g deep blue :)

Thanks guys :)

I think I may set up a 1g NPS pico in the meantime.... no sand... and do 100% WC's on it after feeding.

The only tank i'd get extra height in maybe is a FOWLR. Tall tanks are an SOB when dealing with corals and having to work in them.

Yeah, that part was scaring me the most. Trying to get my elbows in there :P

llama roadkill

I want a Mr. Aqua...but no more tanks for me...:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I want a Mr. Aqua...but no more tanks for me... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I hear you there! Think of this one as practice for when you're an adult and have a bajillion tanks.

The only tank i'd get extra height in maybe is a FOWLR. Tall tanks are an SOB when dealing with corals and having to work in them.

They also keep your ass from messing with them more then you really need to and you leave things alone so they settle in and grow better too :)

jedimasterben

What bothers me most is WC's.. idk how much people actually do on such big tanks.

They usually don't, and when they do, it is only a small change monthly or every other/few months.

llama roadkill
Really?

I want a 1,000 gallon reef, and a bunch of rescued parrots!

I saw, I forgot the exact name...

But the guy had a giant Amazonian tree that grew up threw his roof. The bottom was about 4 ft of water with a couple Arowanas in it. He then had a couple small green tree pythons. He also had a macaw that was much larger than the mouths of the pythons so that they couldn't eat the macaw. He also had a closed netting on top of the opening of his roof so that it could fly around. Something like that.

Archived