Innovative Marine Aquariums

1stimereefer's 1st tank- RETIRED

FlowerMama

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm addicted. I can't believe I just bought 6 corals on Saltcritters. But, I had one sps on top and a blasto on the bottom that didn't make it, so I have 2 right there to replace. And I'm missing having something on the left side and under the rock bridge on the right. I couldn't pass up 40% off til midnight though. Of my treats are a ricordea and a red montipora capricornis, and a couple more things. One I have no idea- I picked a mystery for $5 as well. Kinda fun not knowing what you're gonna get. I'm packed on the bottom. If anything doesn't work out I'll sell it to my friends at work, they had to move their corals out and into a biocube 29 because their dognosed puffer was chomping.

40% off sounds great!
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40% off sounds great!

40% off til midnight tonight. Just put Hump40 as the coupon code. Another 2 hrs left I believe.

I looked. I wish they carried gorgonians! I'd buy... :)

OMG...they carry dwarf seahorse and they are so cute!

yep and you can get one for $6!!!. 6 corals and s/h can't beat it. $77. I only chose $5 and $10 corals but frags is all I need. And now I am officially done purchasing corals for this little tank. Rock flower is already like 3 inches, it'll have to get moved to the 20, now I'm thinking of starting that one sooner, Get the sand rock & water going by Thanksgiving. Esp since you said I'd have a hard cycle w/ the uncured rock. That will take some time.

yep and you can get one for $6!!!. 6 corals and s/h can't beat it. $77. I only chose $5 and $10 corals but frags is all I need. And now I am officially done purchasing corals for this little tank. Rock flower is already like 3 inches, it'll have to get moved to the 20, now I'm thinking of starting that one sooner, Get the sand rock & water going by Thanksgiving. Esp since you said I'd have a hard cycle w/ the uncured rock. That will take some time.

Can't wait to see your goodies in the tank!

Uncured rock will definitely give you a hard cycle. But if you do some water changes you can make it not so dramatic and save any awesome live things you see on the rock. If you ask them, they'll give you their recommendation for cycling the rock to help preserve the life. I don't remember what they recommend off-hand.

Can't wait to see your goodies in the tank!

Uncured rock will definitely give you a hard cycle. But if you do some water changes you can make it not so dramatic and save any awesome live things you see on the rock. If you ask them, they'll give you their recommendation for cycling the rock to help preserve the life. I don't remember what they recommend off-hand.

Have fun at Vivid Aquariums tomorrow. Hope you find some goodies. Wish I knew more about clams to be one of those awesome people that knows a helluva lot more than I know now. But..HA! I'm not. still growing my nano legs and arms over here.

Looks like it's attached in just that one little section on the right. That is so cool! I can't wait for my supermans to do that. My greens do it all the time, but not the supermans, yet.

Have fun at Vivid Aquariums tomorrow. Hope you find some goodies. Wish I knew more about clams to be one of those awesome people that knows a helluva lot more than I know now. But..HA! I'm not. still growing my nano legs and arms over here.

Hey...I'm a clam noob. This is my first and I'm still learning.

I've just never seen something so thick split. My regular red mushroom just moves a little and it leaves a portion of itself behind and that's all that one does so this is much more exciting but still a little anxiety producing because I want it to succeed. I'm waiting to see how it mends itself all around and gets that light orangy skirt on the perimeter. Very pleased. We'll see what tomorrow brings when tomorrow comes, oh, it's already tomorrow now. Crap, have to get to bed.

I just caught up on your thread. Your tank is beautiful. Wow.

That triple mushroom split is amazing! I have never seen that before. :lol:

Your puppeh is soooo marvelous. I love him. So kind to the kittehs! :wub:

I just caught up on your thread. Your tank is beautiful. Wow.

That triple mushroom split is amazing! I have never seen that before. :lol:

Your puppeh is soooo marvelous. I love him. So kind to the kittehs! :wub:

that triple split is awesome

I love it, er, uh them!!

Your aquarium looks great. I have enjoyed watching you add all your little treasures with the photos posted. One of my favorite things is the crazy purple coralline algae growth you have on your rocks. Well I guess I should expect it with a calcium reading of 440. I will be around less these next few months as my volleyball season has begun. I will continue to follow your posts and watch your aquarium grow. Looking forward to future updates. Have a great weekend!

Mommy isn't paying any attention to me right now. You'll see why.

030_zpsf84f7117.jpg

029_zps2c1aea3b.jpg

Very happy again with my new arrivals from Saltcritters during their 40% off sale a couple days ago. 6 corals with s/h included...was..... $77.21 Have been in the tank for 2 hrs.

My Mystery Coral purchase- very happy, I needed a blue ric.

034_zps1dc06edb.jpg

Montipora capricornis

041_zpsaab1cc5e.jpg

The ric I picked out.

051_zps55472ef3.jpg

sps but don't know what, any ideas?

023_zpsf880926a.jpg

Brain coral

004_zpsbe0903dd.jpg

sps, but don't know what, any ideas?

015_zpsb44fd39f.jpg

And FTS. Don't know why today my goniopora is closed.

044_zps07a4471e.jpg

Where is your goniopora located? Is it the lower back left? Your starting to get really full in there :) Love the pieces you selected. You are really creating a visual balance in your aquarium.

Wow...so pretty!!!! You bought some really nice things. I'm no SPS expert, but my guesses are acro on the first one and maybe a birdsnest on the second one. Whatever they are, they are going to look amazing when they grow big.

Wow...so pretty!!!! You bought some really nice things. I'm no SPS expert, but my guesses are acro on the first one and maybe a birdsnest on the second one. Whatever they are, they are going to look amazing when they grow big.

I agree with Gena, acro on the first and birdsnest on the second. Great call Gena!

Thanks guys. I was thinking birdsnest but I thought they looked more twiggy. Oh, and mushroom is still attached- just one more perforation and it'll have it. Wish I could somehow take out the plug that's hidden underneath but I don't want to disturb it. I'm believing it'll split the rest of the night tonight.

Which one of the 3 likes the most light? birdsnest, acropora and montipora capricornis? only one is glued down so I can still move them.

Gena have you ever helped it fission? Like cutting it up the pieces thats missing to separate.

Nope. I always just let it do it's thing. It wouldn't hurt it to cut it though...especially if you are in a hurry or something. :)

I agree with Gena, acro on the first and birdsnest on the second. Great call Gena!

Woohoo!!!! Thanks!!!! Maybe I'm better at ID'ing SPS than I thought. :lol:

Thanks guys. I was thinking birdsnest but I thought they looked more twiggy. Oh, and mushroom is still attached- just one more perforation and it'll have it. Wish I could somehow take out the plug that's hidden underneath but I don't want to disturb it. I'm believing it'll split the rest of the night tonight.

Which one of the 3 likes the most light? birdsnest, acropora and montipora capricornis? only one is glued down so I can still move them.

There are a few different types of birdsnest corals, one that does look more spiky and twiggy and another that is more like what you own now. It should form a kind of circular formation like the image I attached of the green birdsnest. Acros seem to like the most light and this species of birdsnest and the montipora can take the same light level. Medium placement in the aquarium. Since everyone's lighting is different just keep and eye on them before glueing them anywhere.

I actually do not glue any of my corals in place but let them naturally encrust on rocks. This way I can move them if there is a problem.

images_zpsd498a8a1.jpeg?t=1376708603

When it's just a frag though the hermit or astrea ends up toppling it and next you know you have an sps fallen into a ricordea and the ricordea polyps seared onto the sps. That sps didn't make it. the ricordea on the other hand grew faster because of that issue. My birdsnest you saw is to the right, the acro mid left. The montipora up top, so I may need to switch the acro and the montipora.

When it's just a frag though the hermit or astrea ends up toppling it and next you know you have an sps fallen into a ricordea and the ricordea polyps seared onto the sps. That sps didn't make it. the ricordea on the other hand grew faster because of that issue. My birdsnest you saw is to the right, the acro mid left. The montipora up top, so I may need to switch the acro and the montipora.

I understand and agree. I have had this issue in the past. Switching the corals is a good idea. But like i mentioned before, keep an eye on them like I know you will :)

Certainly will and the montipora off to the left middle will be good hopefully because it should then jut out over the mushrooms and ricordea there.

What a great haul for such a great price. Those rice are gorgeous.

Nice.

What is your puppy's name? What breed is it? I am in love! :)

Archived