Cultivated Reef

1stimereefer's 1st tank- RETIRED

FlowerMama

how would you compare Aquascapers vs Saltcritters? Did you get rics from Aquascapers too?

They're both excellent. My acans are puffy and lovely from Saltcritters and my anemone, Duncan, red and blue mushroom, all my sps, brain coral are from them as well. 90% of my tank is from them. I only just discovered Aquascapers and am so extremely pleased. I'm going to get my next rock flower nem from them. The first one I got on sale via Saltcritters at like $8 - wasn't WYSIWYG but I didn't care because 1) I wasn't paying much and 2) I didn't know if I would succeed taking care of one. Now that I know I can I'll pay a little more and get a richly colored one.

What you see for color on aquascapers is for sure what you're getting. If you go to Aquascapers and see the first 2 zoas I bought, they say SOLD on them there, look at them here. Mine isn't as saturated because they have them super high and have a better lens.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comparison! My tank is not ready yet but I been going to Aquascapers website every week, drooling over their pictures. I been curious as to if and how much they "post process" their pictures so thank you for posting yours for comparison. I also love their rock anemones. A little pricey, but the colors are truly unique.

Gorgeous corals! I have never ordered zoas from Aquascapers so that's great to know that the color is accurate as far as what you get. I'm still in love with those vivid rainbows. :wub:

Gorgeous corals! I have never ordered zoas from Aquascapers so that's great to know that the color is accurate as far as what you get. I'm still in love with those vivid rainbows. :wub:

I boughtt these 2 bright ones because I like the way you had those 2 sets side by side contrasting in your tank, the lime green and then the blue/purple ones. I didn't have anything blue and feel my tank is now complete w/ blue. Now please TIE MY HANDS BEHIND MY BACK. I HAVE TO LET IT GROW OUT!! I must, I must, I must. Nor more purchases for this tank.

I boughtt these 2 bright ones because I like the way you had those 2 sets side by side contrasting in your tank, the lime green and then the blue/purple ones. I didn't have anything blue and feel my tank is now complete w/ blue. Now please TIE MY HANDS BEHIND MY BACK. I HAVE TO LET IT GROW OUT!! I must, I must, I must. Nor more purchases for this tank.

Good luck with that. :lol: It's just so much fun to shop for corals. :)

Thanks for the comparison! My tank is not ready yet but I been going to Aquascapers website every week, drooling over their pictures. I been curious as to if and how much they "post process" their pictures so thank you for posting yours for comparison. I also love their rock anemones. A little pricey, but the colors are truly unique.

Since I never had a saltwater tank I was happy to find Saltcritters because I feel the quality is there plus I wasn't paying a lot if I happened to kill them while I was learning. I had a hammer die- wrong placement in my tank and it was a quick death. It was a very healthy specimen from them though. My fault though- too much light and flow.

Good luck with that. :lol: It's just so much fun to shop for corals. :)

Yeah. I need to watch it grow out and learn what happens during grow out. Aside from impatience and withdrawals from not purchasing. I have a wavemaker, circulation pumps, and light to think about, etc. I need to save up, I don't want to put those purchases on credit card. These 2 corals here were the first ever on credit card so I'm proud of that. I was so tickled I got a freebie.

My fault though- too much light and flow.

I find it ironic that people often recommend beginners to pay top dollars for $400+ light equipments or $200+ mp10 pumps, but then most of the corals beginners are looking to stock will die to too much light and flow =P.

By the time I realized it was wrong, it didn't matter where I put it, was too far gone. I bought 2 chalices from another company. Put them side by side, one just lived no problem, the other next to it, same conditions, died. it was either getting white from bleaching or dark from not enough light and I never found the happy medium. But the other one is fine. Sometimes you just don't know. You don't always have answers.

Very pretty!!!! Super nice freebie too!!!! Nicer than the freebie paly I got from them once....WAY nicer. :)

Thanks. I was shocked, I'd expect someone who bought like 5--8 corals to get a freebie, but not me. I feel lucky.

Just wanted to drop by and say you have a lovely tank. Can't wait to see more progress of it. Also, post up more pictures of your beloved blenny. Love that little cute guy! :wub:

Ok, can do that!!

Hey...just saw a flash of Aquascaper's advertisement at the top of NR and it looked like a photo of your freebie coral up there. They were called Miami Vice!

Hey...just saw a flash of Aquascaper's advertisement at the top of NR and it looked like a photo of your freebie coral up there. They were called Miami Vice!

I can't tell if it's that or Purple Eye Vice or Morning Glory. Maybe I'll just ask them, not like it matters its just stunning as well. Boy, those will look awesome in that 20.

Gorgeous zoas you just got! The freebie definitely looks like some sort of vice zoa. Also, I love the photos of your tail spot blenny :) Great shots and he's a cutie!

Wow! Great Zoas you purchased. :)

I love your color choices. So beautiful.

Aw that fish is looking right at you. Great shot. I love that square head. :lol:

Wow! Great Zoas you purchased. :)"

I love your color choices. So beautiful.

Aw that fish is looking right at you. Great shot. I love that square head. :lol:

There heads kinda remind me of the squared heads off muzzles of great danes! or ....Frankenstein's head. I just love that eye they give you. It's the " I know you see me I but I don't think you can catch me" eye look. That his head is the only thing covered by the hermit shell in front of him and you can his full length body but he's giving you "I'm gonna hide right here where I can't be found" look.

Thanks for the compliments on the zoas. My hats go off to Aquascapers because these are absolutely vibrant and they're the ones that had to cultivate them. I can imagine one day a whole formation in nothing but stunning blue/purple/green. ooooh, a kaleidoscope.

I'm trying to think of how I'm going to landscape the 20 and I don't know if I want 2 islands or one peninsula, or 3 smaller islands. I have visions in my head dancing. And they keep changing. So many fun decisions to make.

I'm trying to think of how I'm going to landscape the 20 and I don't know if I want 2 islands or one peninsula, or 3 smaller islands. I have visions in my head dancing. And they keep changing. So many fun decisions to make.

Two islands might give you more room for a clam...down the road. :) I'm sure after being exposed to them, in person a-la Randi, you will catch the fever before too long.

Two islands might give you more room for a clam...down the road. :) I'm sure after being exposed to them, in person a-la Randi, you will catch the fever before too long.

I think 2 islands is right and that was my first thought. I KNOW you're right. And the clam would have to go in the middle. Be that connector. I like these 2 setups so far for 20s. I don't know whose they are but flattery is the best compliment. I could see myself taking bits of yours, bits of Randis.

And where it looks like a hammer would be a perfect spot for a claim, right? And guys, how do you know if it's a clammy boy or clammy girl?

2isles_zps116cb1a7.jpg

But I also really like this look too but with less rock I'd say.

3isles_zpsea18ecce.jpg

Oh wow!!!! Those are both gorgeous. I'm not sure which I like better. Probably the bottom one since there is more room for clams. LOL

But yes, where that hammer/lps is would be a perfect spot for a clam!!!!!

Ummmm....I haven't gotten that far in my clam book yet. As soon as I find out I'll let you know. Randi may already know.

I think 2 islands is right and that was my first thought. I KNOW you're right. And the clam would have to go in the middle. Be that connector. I like these 2 setups so far for 20s. I don't know whose they are but flattery is the best compliment. I could see myself taking bits of yours, bits of Randis.

And where it looks like a hammer would be a perfect spot for a claim, right? And guys, how do you know if it's a clammy boy or clammy girl?

2isles_zps116cb1a7.jpg

But I also really like this look too but with less rock I'd say.

3isles_zpsea18ecce.jpg

I think the LR to the left and right corners could be less- actually the width is fine, I think just less height, don't you think? It all depends though on the rock. Maybe I can ask KPA to just send me 15-20lbs of awkwardly shaped rocks ?

Archived