Innovative Marine Aquariums

1stimereefer's 1st tank- RETIRED

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister tells me of all these great deals she gets in the Chicago area- we were born/raised there but she lives w/ her husband just over the border in Indiana. She just got a 3" maxima for 50. I guess w/ so many stores you can have some competition and deals. I'm jealous every time she opens her mouth.

I pulled this off of Egginis' tank thread. You are talking about my hood!!!! I grew up in Chicago/NW Indiana. :)

What city is your sister in?

I pulled this off of Egginis' tank thread. You are talking about my hood!!!! I grew up in Chicago/NW Indiana. :)

What city is your sister in?

I was raised in Burbank up til 2nd grade, and then unincorporated Downers Grove which was right off I-55S. My sister right now lives in Hobart, IN.

As far as my tank goes, I glued down the freebie zoa and it closed up. W/ helping my mom this weekend I didn't do a water change and my nitrates are at 7 right now. Got little overzealous w/ feeding all my hungry corals. Pretty sure that's why it closed up. Water change tomorrow! Hopefully it'll improve that situation.

Get out! Burbank, CA? What grade school did you go to? I would love to move back to the Chicago area, but I would also miss this place. I need a few homes spread out across the country so I can visit "whenever". :lol:

I lived in St. John, IN until the 5th grade and then LaPorte, IN till I got married. Hobart is right in between those two cities. :)

Zoa could still just be mad from being glued. Did you get any glue on it? I wouldn't think 7 would bother it. They are like mushies in that they don't mind dirtier water.

Get out! Burbank, CA? What grade school did you go to? I would love to move back to the Chicago area, but I would also miss this place. I need a few homes spread out across the country so I can visit "whenever". :lol:

I lived in St. John, IN until the 5th grade and then LaPorte, IN till I got married. Hobart is right in between those two cities. :)

Zoa could still just be mad from being glued. Did you get any glue on it? I wouldn't think 7 would bother it. They are like mushies in that they don't mind dirtier water.

Nah, Burbank, Illinois. Funny, I remember being little and making a point to say "Illinois" because I knew there was one in Cali. Like it was soooo important to make that distinction to my friends who lived in Illinois as well.? Duh. I didn't see any glue but God knows. You don't always see it. Prior to this about 2 wks ago it was like 2.5 and that was the best nitrates I had so far. I have a friend that has a 90 and gives me 2 gallons of RO/DI a week, sometimes 3 because of the excess but I forgot. We'll see if that helps.

Nah, Burbank, Illinois. Funny, I remember being little and making a point to say "Illinois" because I knew there was one in Cali. Like it was soooo important to make that distinction to my friends who lived in Illinois as well.? Duh. I didn't see any glue but God knows. You don't always see it. Prior to this about 2 wks ago it was like 2.5 and that was the best nitrates I had so far. I have a friend that has a 90 and gives me 2 gallons of RO/DI a week, sometimes 3 because of the excess but I forgot. We'll see if that helps.

Oh. :lol: I never heard of Burbank, Ill.

I really enjoyed reading the past couple of posts from the both of you. Illinois and the suburbs of Chicago are wonderful places to live says the man from this state and city :) Remember, the "s" in Illinois is silent :)

A water change will surely help the situation.

Believe me, Burbank CA has a lot more going for it than Illinois but one thing I do miss from there is Dukes roast beef sandwiches.

Well, update on my newest zoas:

The freebie closed up entirely after I glued it on a rock.

The green ones are open but turning darker.

The blues- 2 of the 8 polyps are open. I think they were getting too much light. It's just strange because 3" higher up I have happy mushrooms but lower on the sand the zoas didn't like the light. My watermelon zoas though are very happy and are a good 4 inches higher in the tank. An inch away the radioactives are 3/4 closed when they used to be open. I put plastic canvas on the lid to difuse some light. Also did a 2 gallon water change yesterday.

Until I used the red light I didn't see just how many amphipods are ALL over the zoas at night, and trying to pry them open at the opening. 4 gigantic amphipods on 3 polyps. I really dislike my amphipods right now.

Better looking news. The superman rhodactis is doing well. The 3 have almost regained their orange crown as I call it to seal their deal.

About a week after I bought it- 5/8

005_zps30f6db05.jpg

Before- 8/7

009_zps4f53ce6c.jpg

Today 8/28

001_zpsfa3f0b54.jpg

Not much room in the corner here.

Those supermans sure fill that corner nicely!!!!!

I've found that blue zoas tend to do better in lower lighting. I'd like to try some of the vice zoas at some point. I think they are the miami vice???? blue and pink. I have a nice shaded area for them. Did you ever find out what the freebie is called? Is it miami vice?

Those supermans sure fill that corner nicely!!!!!

I've found that blue zoas tend to do better in lower lighting. I'd like to try some of the vice zoas at some point. I think they are the miami vice???? blue and pink. I have a nice shaded area for them. Did you ever find out what the freebie is called? Is it miami vice?

never found out what they were called. I should've known that. Even in nature as far as plant life goes, blues are more shade loving plants. We'll see how they do the next couple wks and move them further, maybe under the zoa bridge, in which case I can't see them, or move one under the tall stalks of the Vivids Rainbow.

Well, update on my newest zoas:

The freebie closed up entirely after I glued it on a rock.

The green ones are open but turning darker.

The blues- 2 of the 8 polyps are open. I think they were getting too much light. It's just strange because 3" higher up I have happy mushrooms but lower on the sand the zoas didn't like the light. My watermelon zoas though are very happy and are a good 4 inches higher in the tank. An inch away the radioactives are 3/4 closed when they used to be open. I put plastic canvas on the lid to difuse some light. Also did a 2 gallon water change yesterday.

Until I used the red light I didn't see just how many amphipods are ALL over the zoas at night, and trying to pry them open at the opening. 4 gigantic amphipods on 3 polyps. I really dislike my amphipods right now.

Better looking news. The superman rhodactis is doing well. The 3 have almost regained their orange crown as I call it to seal their deal.

About a week after I bought it- 5/8

Before- 8/7

Today 8/28

Not much room in the corner here.

Very very nice .....

never found out what they were called. I should've known that. Even in nature as far as plant life goes, blues are more shade loving plants. We'll see how they do the next couple wks and move them further, maybe under the zoa bridge, in which case I can't see them, or move one under the tall stalks of the Vivids Rainbow.

It would just be temporary until you transfer everything to the 20L in a couple of months anyways. Then you can aquascape a nice shady area for them. :happydance:

Eventually I plan to place an order with Aquascapers...either for mushrooms, gorgonians, or both. In which case, I'll add some miami vice zoas to the order. :)

Not a good day in my tank today. Came home from spending 2 days at my parents house selling for their garage sale. 3 days ago I put the blue zoas more in the shade and put plastic canvas on the lid to help difuse some light. Today I come home and the freebie lavender is completely gone, all that's showing is the rubble it was on. The blue ones have 3 heads left but they're closed and you can see the centers eaten out of the others. bad pic but I couldn't get better. The green ones are alive but shrunk and are bending backwards like umbrellas.

My hardiest zoas, the watermelons, have been chomped on, the others look healthy. When I used the red light last week there were tons of amphipods on the newest healthiest zoas and they were all trying to dig into the centers of the zoas. I really believe amphipods are eating them. The pods are so large now and there are so many at night. They were always getting bothered. I don't know how much of the new death of the blues was light.

010_zps06756e29.jpg

008_zps2a5b552f.jpg

Love that arch. :)

Thanks, underneath the top side of the arch I have maybe 3 of those fan worms. I had to move my arch to the left and put my Duncan to the right of it because his spread takes up some real estate and I wanted it to stop being friendly w/ my acans. Wouldn't stop molesting them.

Bummer about the zoas! Makes me nervouse cuz I ended up buying some from Aquascapers on Saturday. LOL. I made the mistake of checking out their site.

Apparently they keep them in high light, according to their description for these vice zoas. I didn't go back and check if you listed your water parameters. Have you checked your alkalinity level? I know that can affect them if it's too low.

Your tank still looks gorgeous, regardless. And I love that puzzle!!!! We used to have a puzzle table when I was a kid. It had a puzzle going all the time and we would each take some time during the day to work on it. Soooo fun. I really love doing puzzles.

Well, alkalinity is an 8. Nitrate 5, I had them in light. But like I said, I had amphipods even checking them out the first night. Oh, I moved the zoas back into the light and I felt the blue ones, their hard, not feeling soft which I'd assume would've been melted.

Just after I stopped testing Slim started doing something funny. He found a tunnel he wants as his home but there's sand in it. He'd dusting everything w/ powdered sugar as if they were donuts. Like he could drop it anywhere but he's going right over the acans . Wish I had a video but you can see it pretty darn well. Back n' forth, POOF as it spits it out. It's hilarious. I'll give it another go w/ the beautiful zoas when I have my 20 up later. I'm not giving up on those beauties.

045_zpsc6f094ab.jpg

Unfortunately, with such a little tank I don't think I could even rent out a 6 line to take care of them and then give it to someone.

Those acans are way cool. I may have to add some to my saltcritters order. Did you see some of the new zoas they got in? They look awesome under actinic and sold out very fast. I was lucky to get two frags of them. I hope he lists more in the near future.

X144_2__61216.1377857647.451.416.jpg

Unfortunately, with such a little tank I don't think I could even rent out a 6 line to take care of them and then give it to someone.

Sure you could! You would need a lid though. I can't remember if you have one or not.

Those acans are way cool. I may have to add some to my saltcritters order. Did you see some of the new zoas they got in? They look awesome under actinic and sold out very fast. I was lucky to get two frags of them. I hope he lists more in the near future.

X144_2__61216.1377857647.451.416.jpg

Yeah, I noticed those first thing when they had them up, I was just busy w/ my mom's garage sale in the town over. He's been getting more interesting ones in here lately. I can't wait to see how they do. I've never seen them and they look stunning. I'm going to make sure I get some for my 20 down the line. Make sure you post pics so I can follow along.

Sure you could! You would need a lid though. I can't remember if you have one or not.

Yes, do have a lid, well dang it, I might just have to get one then. Once he's done w/ those though, can they eat other things as well? Would they eat a little nano reef frenzy when I feed my acans, dendro, duncan & rock flower? Or would I always have to supply with some pods?

Yes, do have a lid, well dang it, I might just have to get one then. Once he's done w/ those though, can they eat other things as well? Would they eat a little nano reef frenzy when I feed my acans, dendro, duncan & rock flower? Or would I always have to supply with some pods?

Try to find a smaller one. They will eat any meaty foods..frozen, pellet. They aren't picky at all.

Archived