Top Shelf Aquatics

1stimereefer's 1st tank- RETIRED

FlowerMama

Try to find a smaller one. They will eat any meaty foods..frozen, pellet. They aren't picky at all.

Cool. It wouldn't be too long and he'd be in a larger tank soon. I'm going online to look now. If I do that do you think my 3rd fish in the 20 could be a Tiger Goby who's nocturnal?

It would then be tailspot, 6 line, and Tiger Goby in a 20long. OR...

Keep tailspot in this small tank, put 6 line, Tiger Goby and neon goby in 20? Is that a combo that would work? Part of me also wants a Red Scooter blenny.

Well, I just can't believe I personally could have killed those zoas- zoas are hardy. My others have been doing fine. AAARG.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just caught an amphipod- chased him off my frag- he was on the tube part of the biggest green polyp. This MEANS WAR!!! I've never been one to like to kill things, I don't even mind spiders but these guys ruin my zoas I have no mercy. The red light is coming out and I'm watching w/ tweezer tongs in hand.

Just found a youtube video online. Move the video over til you see the 2nd part- you can more easily see the amphipod pulling yellow chunks off and eating the zoa and it's doing it quickly. This is the activity at night I saw except I'd see like 3 of them on my newest freebie frag of vice zoas. They only just recently started in on some of my watermelons. Heard it was common for them to go after frags and not colonies and they'd hide under the plugs. Mine do this. I'm on a mission now. Of course they kill the most expensive zoas I buy and was lucky to get a freebie as well. I'm usually a low key kinda gal but I'm rather pissed right now. Looking into a 6 line now that I can later move into the 20.

Love this documentation! Beautiful mushrooms!

Thanks. Nothing like your AWESOME documentation videos of your tank, microscopic pics, black/white, color- man. Sorry to hear about your past blenny. My sister kept telling me, get a tailspot, I wasn't sure because the color of him on LiveAquaria is all wrong- makes him look brown, I was so relieved when I got him and saw his true colors.

The mushroom was at the first, the scariest thing I saw- thought it was rotting from the inside out, and then everyone said it was splitting. in 2 mos or so I'll get sand, water, rocks and my light for my 20long- when it's done after it's cycle I'll have to think about what I'll keep in this little one, and what I'll be transferring to the bigger. Your tank is inspiring me to do something totally different with my rocks but at the same time I'm thinking of the 2 or 3 island idea and having different things on each set, I dunno, I still have some time.

Mr. Microscope

My sister kept telling me, get a tailspot, I wasn't sure because the color of him on LiveAquaria is all wrong- makes him look brown, I was so relieved when I got him and saw his true colors.

Yeah, they're really a rainbow of color!

Your tank is inspiring me to do something totally different with my rocks but at the same time I'm thinking of the 2 or 3 island idea and having different things on each set, I dunno, I still have some time.

Cool cool! Overhangs for the win!

How's the amphipod hunt going???? :D

Fantastic! Last night I turned the mushroom plug upside down- guess what? had like 4 large ones there, just living it up underneath the large frag plug- picked off 2. When I got home from work I took out my zoa bridge and swooshed it to n' fro in RO/DI and off came 5 medium ones. Oh, floating amphipods! Yey!!!! I might check out a place down the road about an hr- they said they have a 6 line and that he's 2.5" already and he said all theirs come that big already. I worry about putting him in w/ my 2" tailspot, even if it is only for a few mos. At least the tailspot has been in there for a good while now and he has 2 hiding spots. I worry about that size though.

Yeah, they're really a rainbow of color!

Cool cool! Overhangs for the win!

Overhangs are certainly wonderful places for sheltering lower light pieces. Have to keep thinking on it. I'm wanting to get my rock uncured from KP Aquatics and have them tell me a water replacement plan for the least die off. Maybe tell them just to get me the MOST AWKWARD shapes they have, ya know? I don't believe I'd need much, not putting as much rock as I did in this one and I'm going to make sure to leave a good minimum 1.5- 2" perimeter of sand before the glass for flow and easy cleaning. Not sure if I'll be moving a rock from t his little tank. If I do it'll be the bottom piece on the left that has 3 different mushrooms, rainbow palys and 3 rics on it.

Fantastic! Last night I turned the mushroom plug upside down- guess what? had like 4 large ones there, just living it up underneath the large frag plug- picked off 2. When I got home from work I took out my zoa bridge and swooshed it to n' fro in RO/DI and off came 5 medium ones. Oh, floating amphipods! Yey!!!! I might check out a place down the road about an hr- they said they have a 6 line and that he's 2.5" already and he said all theirs come that big already. I worry about putting him in w/ my 2" tailspot, even if it is only for a few mos. At least the tailspot has been in there for a good while now and he has 2 hiding spots. I worry about that size though.

Excellent! In my experience, sixlines are not a problem if they are added last. I do understand your concern though with a large one in an 8g tank, temporarily. Maybe you should start that 20L sooner. ;):lol:

Excellent! In my experience, sixlines are not a problem if they are added last. I do understand your concern though with a large one in an 8g tank, temporarily. Maybe you should start that 20L sooner. ;):lol:

Realistically, how long do you think it'll take cycling w/ that uncured rock? This store also says on the web it carries Maxspect but I can probably get it cheaper online than paying for tax and their mark-up. Am thinking your lights and Randi's sand-- best kind of compliment you can give is imitation!! I was thinking long run, if I ever went bigger to a 40 I'd have a light. It's probably overkill right now and I'd have to turn it down good n' plenty.

That's a ginormous pod!!! :lol:

Realistically, how long do you think it'll take cycling w/ that uncured rock? This store also says on the web it carries Maxspect but I can probably get it cheaper online than paying for tax and their mark-up. Am thinking your lights and Randi's sand-- best kind of compliment you can give is imitation!! I was thinking long run, if I ever went bigger to a 40 I'd have a light. It's probably overkill right now and I'd have to turn it down good n' plenty.

I'd say 3-4 weeks. I'm pretty sure I was cycled between 3 and 4 weeks with that rock. I really love my Maxspect. You won't be disappointed with it!!!! :)

That's a ginormous pod!!! :lol:

I'd say 3-4 weeks. I'm pretty sure I was cycled between 3 and 4 weeks with that rock. I really love my Maxspect. You won't be disappointed with it!!!! :)

That's not bad, and you think at the end I could add in an established rock? Don't know the timing there but I know pods live in it too and the outside is already 90% coralline covered.

Since the amphipod hunt is going so well, may as well get more zoas from Aquascaper =P. 25% off sale! That ultra 10 pack looks sooo tempting.

Seeing how they went to town on them and there are soooo many amphipods in there I don't want to chance it. But you bet, when I have my 20 set up I might very well do a 10 pack- that looked crazy awesome. Oh, at least my Green People Eaters are still there. One polyp is completely closed but the other 4 are open, some bending backwards a little but I heard that can happen w/ those and they'll return to normal in a few days.

That's not bad, and you think at the end I could add in an established rock? Don't know the timing there but I know pods live in it too and the outside is already 90% coralline covered.

Totally! Sounds like a great plan.

Since the amphipod hunt is going so well, may as well get more zoas from Aquascaper =P. 25% off sale! That ultra 10 pack looks sooo tempting.

Are you serious? 25% off???? I should have waited. :lol:
BattleAthletics

Are you using tweezers to catch the pods? Lolol

I'm remembering Mr miyagi right now.

Why not use a turkey baster to suck up the pod to remove them?

Mr. Microscope

Overhangs are certainly wonderful places for sheltering lower light pieces.

I've actually found them to be a challenge for placing corals naturally. I think their greatest benefit is that they make fish feel more comfortable. If they know they have a safe place, they're more likely to be out and about and you'll see them more. It's kinda a reverse psychology type thing.

Are you using tweezers to catch the pods? Lolol

I'm remembering Mr miyagi right now.

Why not use a turkey baster to suck up the pod to remove them?

Yep, because my turkey baster doesn't work as well - it takes in a lot of water just to get a little something and then if I don't watch it to catch another I'd have to release some water to get the suction again. I have more satisfaction when I've caught it and smashed it. Otherwise I have to take up the water w/ each one, dump it into something, pic out the pod, empty the water back in the tank- too much of a process.

Yep, because my turkey baster doesn't work as well - it takes in a lot of water just to get a little something and then if I don't watch it to catch another I'd have to release some water to get the suction again. I have more satisfaction when I've caught it and smashed it. Otherwise I have to take up the water w/ each one, dump it into something, pic out the pod, empty the water back in the tank- too much of a process.

After you smash them you should feed them to your coral. :) Free food.

After you smash them you should feed them to your coral. :) Free food.

Love that, why didn't I think of that!!!! Thanks for that tip. I guess I think of them so much as roaches I wasn't thinking free protein.

Love that, why didn't I think of that!!!! Thanks for that tip. I guess I think of them so much as roaches I wasn't thinking free protein.

They remind me of fleas. They even jump! :lol:

I was bad. I know exactly what I'm doing. I bought 5 more corals. It's a frag fest in there. Now I'm just making myself start this 20 faster. But...

Rationale #1) had 2 zoas, they were eaten, had to buy replacements after I'd killed maybe 10 amphipods so far. Put in the same time but the yellows opened up right away, I since then flipped them so the melon/peach is in the slightly brighter light

019_zps78d8c365.jpg

037_zpsd98b3c7b.jpg

Rationale #2) superman rhodactis mushie needed a little sister. And she will be blue w/ yellow spotting, you can see a hint of it. she's so tiny

041_zps09ed05c8.jpg

3) Rationale #3) my ric garden looked sparse and I didn't have an orange colored one

050_zpse9058386.jpg

4) I have to make sure all Crayola colors are present

027_zpsc3d2c05c.jpg

5) SALE! DUH! 5 corals for $75, I can't NOT do it. AND my parents gave me $100 for coordinating and helping for their moving sale

6) Slim is enjoying his garden

021_zps88ac0194.jpg

7) just cuz I had to feed my addiction? the SPS are coming along. The top left is pink and so far it's getting little lavenderish fuzzies. The one to the right has to still color up, it's supposed to be a montipora capricornis and I just moved it up so hopefully it'll color up red after a little while- I had it too low.

046_zps704b8786.jpg

Archived