inTank Media Baskets

1stimereefer's 1st tank- RETIRED

FlowerMama

I just have to tell you, I love your thread! One of my favorites to visit!!!! Hagen is so cute and funny. :D

Oh....I picked up a duncan before I went on vacation. Looks a lot like yours! It's just one head right now but I'm feeding it all the time. :D And yep....need to get some Vivid rainbows! I live so close to Vivid Aquarium too. Gonna make a trip up there soon. Yours are gorgeous!!!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have to tell you, I love your thread! One of my favorites to visit!!!! Hagen is so cute and funny. :D

Oh....I picked up a duncan before I went on vacation. Looks a lot like yours! It's just one head right now but I'm feeding it all the time. :D And yep....need to get some Vivid rainbows! I live so close to Vivid Aquarium too. Gonna make a trip up there soon. Yours are gorgeous!!!!!!

I thought I should add the cuteness factor in since everyone lately has been including pics of their pup. You love my thread? Well, I love your thread (and so does everyone else!!) And of course I'm loving Randi's tank too from the pics I've seen- so nice for you to do that for her.

Your vacation pics are grand and inspiring. Makes me want to go hiking and take some pictures. Haven't done that in years. One thing I like about my duncan is that it has long tentacles, like an anemone and I love feeding him too. So happy you have one. I got my Vivid Rainbows from JoeKnowsReefs.com, strange sale I hit upon one evening, sprinkled in were frags for a $1 but if you didn't go through the whole category you could miss it. So, that frag was $1- best dollar I ever spent.

Woah...a $1????? That's a deal! They go for a LOT more at Vivid Aquariums.

We really enjoy hiking. You should get out there! Take Hagen with you too. :D

Woah...a $1????? That's a deal! They go for a LOT more at Vivid Aquariums.

We really enjoy hiking. You should get out there! Take Hagen with you too. :D

It's on my bucket list to hit some parks out west (Yeah, I started a bucket list thinking Don wouldn't want me sitting around doing nothing). I have a brother in Phoenix, I still haven't been out that way either yet.

Are we sure my duncan isn't acting like an anemone?!. The one head is so enormous and it now has a total of 4-5 babies underneath. It felt lonely. It wanted to touch someone.

001_zps3288042a.jpg

Look how big it is in that corner. I feel like one day it's going to swallow a coral whole. Takes up a great deal of real estate.

035_zpse4905c7b.jpg

And my gps is crawling up the wall. YEY!!!

041_zps5eaeafd0.jpg

And my baby green/purple/blue mushroom is growing as well.

033_zps43ad27e3.jpg

Your aquarium looks great. You must be a proud mom with all those new baby coral popping out everywhere. What type of steroids are you feeding that duncan? Is this some new type of super coral food? Great pics and I love the curiosity of the tailspot Blenny.

Woah, that duncan! So gorgeous, but man is it being a real estate hog. I thought it was a nem at first :lol:

I really love that corner full of acans :wub:

Your aquarium looks great. You must be a proud mom with all those new baby coral popping out everywhere. What type of steroids are you feeding that duncan? Is this some new type of super coral food? Great pics and I love the curiosity of the tailspot Blenny.

Woah, that duncan! So gorgeous, but man is it being a real estate hog. I thought it was a nem at first :lol:

I really love that corner full of acans :wub:

Thanks guys. I wanted to keep the duncan in there but I'm thinking by the time I can put my corals in my 20L that I start in January it'll end up transferring over, I don't think I'll have a choice with its massiveness. Once I do that I can probably move my superman rhodactis mushroom over there and then keep letting the acans grow out. Don't know yet about those palys, had no idea they'd be growing exponentially either. Growth is excellent alright I wish I could get my nitrates down under 5 regularly.

I'm looking forward to one day having tanks like both of yours. I'm going to try the uncured rock from KPA this January. Heard such great things about it from Gena, hard cycle but beautiful colors, variety of growth, some macro algae and critters. Sounds like the best of everything. I think it's exciting finding out about the critters. I have a 10 gallon which will become a sump or sump/refuge, not sure which yet- won't be drilling so I have time though to research it all by then. Right now have to save for lights.

I'm worried now, freaking out inside. I don't know what's going on. Where the mouth was on the rhodactis mushroom instead there is a much larger hole. I don't know if a hermit budged into it backwards with the pointy end of the shell or what? Doesn't look right but it's not acting oddly. Any guess or do you think it will heal? I don't feel calm which is my usual temperament.

012_zpsce9cafc6.jpg

I'm hoping it will mend itself but I don't believe you should be able to see INTO your mushroom like that.

Its all good! Its splitting! They sure look like they are dying a horrible death when they split. I remember panicking when my fuzzy mushroom split for the first time and Gena was the one who told me it was just splitting. :)

It's totally splitting! You're gonna have two, probably tomorrow. Completely normal and nothing at all to worry about. Congrats!

I happen to agree with Gena. Your mushroom may be reproducing by a process called fission (bio major here). This is when the mushroom splits in half. You might have more mushrooms on the way. This is my best guess, but keep an eye on it. If everything else in your aquarium is happy and healthy I would not worry to much.

Thank you FiCandy, Gena, flsvedlund, and Egginis - My mushroom is splitting while I thought my hair was!!! OK, that was a rather emotional surprise. I need a beer, wine, or even a shot of Polish Grain Alcohol. Phew!!!

BattleAthletics

Just monitor the splitting to make sure it splits successfully, I had one split and it was the size of my hand.. But later on the other half somehow died and rotted in the tank, worst smell ever when I took it out. Had to do a almost 100%water change.

Just monitor the splitting to make sure it splits successfully, I had one split and it was the size of my hand.. But later on the other half somehow died and rotted in the tank, worst smell ever when I took it out. Had to do a almost 100%water change.

thanks. I'll be watching. Anybody else have a split go sour?

That's interesting! My green ones split all the time and I've never had one go bad. I'll have to keep a close eye on them. I can just imagine the smell....eek!

My red mushrooms just kinda dragged and dropped a couple babies so I've never seen it actually split. I have one ric down below that looks like it will but hasn't yet, it's just gotten bigger sideways, and I know they don't look like this rhodactic so I was really starting to worry I had some necrosis going on. So, I guess my nitrates at 5 the whole time hasn't mattered, I can't seem to get lower than that. Everything is apparently growing then except that blasto and pink sps that croaked.

Looking great! Your worried yourself for nothing :)

Doesn't look much changed today at all. Do I wait to do a water change until it's split? It's only 2 gallons but I'm like a week behind right now?

Oh, and excellent mail day today. Got some back issues of CORAL. July/Aug 2012, Jan/Feb 2013 and March/April 2013. I want a red scooter blenny for my 20 so I couldn't resist the picture.

004_zps1c1de42e.jpg

I think you will be fine doing a water change. I don't think it will bother the mushroom much at all.

Definitely a nice mail day for you! I love Coral!

Archived