Coral Vue Hydros

1stimereefer's 1st tank- RETIRED

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks amazing.... your having some great coral growth.

Thanks for the compliment....AND...you put me on page 5. Whoo hoo. Such a small milestone for a small tank. Larger tanks= larger pages??

BigBlueReef

Thanks for the compliment....AND...you put me on page 5. Whoo hoo. Such a small milestone for a small tank. Larger tanks= larger pages??

Haha... your welcome!

Wow - your tank is amazing! Most of my things are still on the shelf waiting to be put to use ... once I get my 13.3 gal drilled out! Researching that skimmer you told me about - thanks again for that tip.

New pics!!! Duncan w/ babies at 3 6 and 9 o'clock.

030_zpsa3bba835.jpg

FTS

034_zpscb0276d1.jpg

037_zps859b0103.jpg

My newest 3 acans closest to Duncan, left to upper right.

003_zps785f3a0c.jpg

Superman Rhodactis hungry!!! Got excited when the power head brought some things his way.

001_zpsf8be1f96.jpg

Top downs- last one my watermelons after I removed them from the plug the other day.

016_zps003a28a1.jpg

017_zpsd5621502.jpg

On the bad side, I can't seem to keep a blasto, it's dying. I think it's just too bright. Anywhere else I move it will be too shaded or the flow is too strong.

The aquarium looks great. The blasto does seem to prefer lower light. I have mine sitting on a rock close to the sand. However, I did have it near the top in my Nuvo 16. I do not have many watts of light over the aquarium so this probably has something to do with my success. I only have 82 total watts over my Nuvo 24. How many watts do you have on yours? I have strong indirect flow on the blasto and it really has responded well. Anyone else have a theory?

The aquarium looks great. The blasto does seem to prefer lower light. I have mine sitting on a rock close to the sand. However, I did have it near the top in my Nuvo 16. I do not have many watts of light over the aquarium so this probably has something to do with my success. I only have 82 total watts over my Nuvo 24. How many watts do you have on yours? I have strong indirect flow on the blasto and it really has responded well. Anyone else have a theory?

It's an 18W Par38 Plus from Ledtric. There's barely any green on it anymore. I have sps at the top and 8 inches down is the sandbed already. They are strong lights.

Do you dose your aquarium with any calcium, alkalinity, or supplemental solutions? The coralline on your rocks is fantastic. I guess the lights are really assisting with that as well.

Do you dose your aquarium with any calcium, alkalinity, or supplemental solutions? The coralline on your rocks is fantastic. I guess the lights are really assisting with that as well.

Reef Crystals- I don't dose anything except every couple weeks I do add about 4 eye dropper drops of Seachem Fuel- found out though that it could be the blasto doesn't like it and could be browning because of it. Everything else seems to like it. After month 3 the coralline kicked into gear. Luckily, a rock on the bottom left w/ the ric, and 2 mushrooms was probably 70% covered when I got if from my lfs.

Hey, what kind of goby was the first one you pictured in the goby thread? the dark one? Never saw that in pics anywhere.

Thanks for the information. I use reef crystals as well with no additional supplements added. The dark goby in the first pic located on the goby thread is an engineer goby. They look different as juveniles, almost like tadpoles minus the feet of course. As they age, they get a wrinkled look to their scales with a black body and yellow markings. Engineer gobies are excellent sand sifters but can grow to be 10 - 12 inches and can make mountains out of your sand bed. If you own corals placed on the sand, they most likely will get covered if this fish decides to build a den nearby. The larger engineer gobies almost look like a mini eel. Their swim patterns are interesting to watch as its body waves back and forth like a flag waving in the wind.

I love my Vivids Rainbow.

When I first got it 5/9.

018_zpsc48c90b8.jpg

Now it has a total of 10 heads, some of which of course are on the backside. I didn't know palys grew this fast.

004_zps9754c9d3.jpg

That is amazing! What do you feed the aquarium? Love when corals multiply like that. Just makes you feel like your doing something right :)

I feed my acans, dendro, Duncan, rock flower anemone, rics, superman rhodactic- I've given Mysis, Reef Frenzy, this stuff called Omega One Marine Carnivore- it's like a soft tofu consistency but I put it in a shotglass and stir and mash it against the wall of it until it's a liquid, then I throw that in the tank too. I don't know if the Palys get any of it or not really. And Seachem Fuel, about 4 drops every 2 wks, seems like anymore than that and you start getting brown spots on the acrylic.

Here's a pic of my goofy boy Hagen. My loving husband at the time was driving and I took a picture into the passenger side mirror. There is a down side to sucking in all that air- it comes out the other end!!! Some of the drive back was NOT pleasant.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/WindBeneath6_zps6f9a5cce.jpg.html'>WindBeneath6_zps6f9a5cce.jpg

Love dogs. We had 2 but lost one last October when a coyote jumped into our yard and killed him. I could not get to him fast enough. Here is a pick of our survivor, Zebby. He is camera she and never looks at the camera when you try to snap a picture of him.

Love dogs. We had 2 but lost one last October when a coyote jumped into our yard and killed him. I could not get to him fast enough. Here is a pick of our survivor, Zebby. He is camera shy and never looks at the camera when you try to snap a picture of him.

post-80849-0-46468800-1375407830_thumb.jpg

Love dogs. We had 2 but lost one last October when a coyote jumped into our yard and killed him. I could not get to him fast enough. Here is a pick of our survivor, Zebby. He is camera she and never looks at the camera when you try to snap a picture of him.

Whoa my gosh! That's horrible. I would feel so sick to my stomach. Mine runs just as fast to get away form the camera as he does the vacuum.

Wow that picture is great! Is that the TLF acrylic cleaner?

yes it is- Good everywhere except that 1/2" above the sand all around the bottom. Can't really go there because I don't want sand getting underneath it and scratch up the tank.

BattleAthletics

I hate that, I have a scrapper for that, lightly scrape that area.

Reef Crystals- I don't dose anything except every couple weeks I do add about 4 eye dropper drops of Seachem Fuel- found out though that it could be the blasto doesn't like it and could be browning because of it. Everything else seems to like it. After month 3 the coralline kicked into gear. Luckily, a rock on the bottom left w/ the ric, and 2 mushrooms was probably 70% covered when I got if from my lfs.

Hey, what kind of goby was the first one you pictured in the goby thread? the dark one? Never saw that in pics anywhere.

I actually dose two part kent a & b. Im testing it to see its effectiveness, approx 20 drops a day, I really havent seen anything except my sps loves it, other than that, I cant tell if its working or not.

New pic of one of my sps. It's more purple than this but the camera isn't capturing it right. It's the best looking sps of the 3, unsure of it's name. Purple with yellow.

007_zpsefe1faa5.jpg

Looks like Purple Bonsai to me.

Looks like Purple Bonsai to me.

Thanks Criley7, that confirms what I was thinking. I know so little about sps so I only know from asking or looking it up. It apparently likes it's spot.

Thanks Criley7, that confirms what I was thinking. I know so little about sps so I only know from asking or looking it up. It apparently likes it's spot.

No problem. Glad I could help.

Archived