Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

Yes I remember those. The only bad news is the price! I dont have a clue how much Mac will want, bit we all know he's not cheap. The last time he posted a rare solid pink maxima it sold for 1k. And these are much more rare. He said he would give me a killer deal. We shall see.

Problem is..... If my wife saw that I paid 1K for a clam, she'd give me a killer deal alright.

Likely she would kill me!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is..... If my wife saw that I paid 1K for a clam, she'd give me a killer deal alright.

Likely she would kill me!!!

Ha! Don't I know it! I was married for 11 years. But I got rid of her so I could....

Buy....

More....

CLAMS!!

That is really inspiring! Do you feed a lot of coral foods like phyto etc?

not a lot, my tank gets fed with garlic and zoe enriched mysis and blood worms, but thats only been the last 2 months for my mandarin. other than that oyster feast maybe once a week and phyto once a week

Ultra blue and gold farmed squamosa. Sorry for the garbage pic I can only post from my phone.

not a lot, my tank gets fed with garlic and zoe enriched mysis and blood worms, but thats only been the last 2 months for my mandarin. other than that oyster feast maybe once a week and phyto once a week
That's all? You may as we'll not feed them at all.

post-73763-0-19584700-1407108903_thumb.jpg

Ultra blue and gold farmed squamosa. Sorry for the garbage pic I can only post from my phone.

Even w/ your phone I can see it's really sweet!

Even w/ your phone I can see it's really sweet!

Thank you!

I am so happy to see these new farmed ultra colored Squamosa's what is so great about clams is there is big success in farming and aquaculture that they can creat super clams, and leave the wild ones alone.

yea not much at all

Zeph, did you get a two face? Mac has one posted for a few pretty pennies.. Didn't know if you ended up with one or not..

Zeph, did you get a two face? Mac has one posted for a few pretty pennies.. Didn't know if you ended up with one or not..

Mac actually has two of the "two faced clams". He offered me a deal of 4k for both. I declined. I actually would have purchased them but I have not had the best luck with his large clams. If they were smaller farmed clams I would be all over them.

that's $1k off!! lol.. that's too bad, I was hoping you'd get them and post some cool pics.. they have been posting some really gorgeous clams lately though..

that's $1k off!! lol.. that's too bad, I was hoping you'd get them and post some cool pics.. they have been posting some really gorgeous clams lately though..

I may have got them, but he doesn't offer free shipping. Not even on a $5,000 order. Lol!!!

I may have got them, but he doesn't offer free shipping. Not even on a $5,000 order. Lol!!!

I would have laughed if you bought them for that price... not worth it at all in my humble opinion. Maybe for $500-$800 per clam, but $2500 each?! Yeah right...

That is a lot of money to throw at something that may not make it.

I would have laughed if you bought them for that price... not worth it at all in my humble opinion. Maybe for $500-$800 per clam, but $2500 each?! Yeah right...

He could always buy it and give it to me. To hold of course.

He could always buy it and give it to me. To hold of course.

Or ship one up here to Canada after getting it cleared properly. I mean, I have a fantastic record with clams.

My max was $750.00. Each. My plan way to house one myself and LEND, and I repeat LEND - the other to Kat for safe keeping. Oh well.

My max was $750.00. Each. My plan way to house one myself and LEND, and I repeat LEND - the other to Kat for safe keeping. Oh well.

A reasonable man you are. Damn shame that they are being so outrageous with the price... blows my mind.

they'll go cheaper if they don't sell.. I am shocked at the price though.. and zeph, I'm sure it was the shipping that killed the deal for you :rolleyes: lol...

also, are they rare in nature or just rare in the hobby? that's what's sickening is "rare in the hobby" stuff, because all they have to do is limit how much they collect (fish, coral, etc.) and they can basically charge whatever for it and claim it's rare.. not speaking of PEA here, just suppliers in general.. mostly fish, think ruby red dragonets or some of the higher priced angels, they aren't rare in nature, they just aren't collected as heavily..

PacificEastAquaculture

If free shipping is the only thing holding up the deal, you got it:)

But seriously, we are selling these for our partner in Tahiti, he sets the price. They are really truly rare and he deserves whatever he can get, I have been there and I know how remote it is where these are collected and the difficulty in getting them! If you look around our site we have plenty of low cost livestock from ultra Acans in our Build Your Own frag packs at $12.50 to our Under $15 frag selection, etc. So, lets not turn this into some ugly thread about price gouging please.

But seriously, we are selling these for our partner in Tahiti, he sets the price. They are really truly rare and he deserves whatever he can get, I have been there and I know how remote it is where these are collected and the difficulty in getting them! If you look around our site we have plenty of low cost livestock from ultra Acans in our Build Your Own frag packs at $12.50 to our Under $15 frag selection, etc. So, lets not turn this into some ugly thread about price gouging please.

I don't think anyone was implying that.. sorry if it seemed that way..

$2500 per clam is a lot to ask. I also think thousands for angelfish is a lot to ask. Rarity aside, these animals are fragile and can easily turn for the worst through something as simple as shipping.

I don't think anyone here is saying PEA has outrageous pricing in general; more or less just find this particular set of clams to be extremely costly.

PacificEastAquaculture

Thanks for your opinion. Obviously they are not for the average hobbyist. We do offer lots of other clams too, maybe more in your price range. If you were to know the complexity and cost to obtain them you might think differently, but I know high price is raw nerve that brings out anger from some folks. Just wanted to be clear we are not setting the price on these and not in the habit of pricing so high.

Thanks for your opinion. Obviously they are not for the average hobbyist. We do offer lots of other clams too, maybe more in your price range. If you were to know the complexity and cost to obtain them you might think differently, but I know high price is raw nerve that brings out anger from some folks. Just wanted to be clear we are not setting the price on these and not in the habit of pricing so high.

Trust me, if you shipped to Canada, I'd have a tank full of clams by now.

I don't think you have any reason to defend the price, it's basic supply and demand, but you're right high prices always hit a nerve with people.. best I could tell from a google search there have only been 2 others imported for the hobby, one from you guys and one from some other vender I've never heard of.. rare=$$$, my only question was whether they are truly rare in nature or if those are the ones that tend to get either left on the reef or eaten since they are not symmetric.. your other post makes it sound like they are truly rare in nature which absolutely makes them command a high price..

Archived