Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

If free shipping is the only thing holding up the deal, you got it:)

But seriously, we are selling these for our partner in Tahiti, he sets the price. They are really truly rare and he deserves whatever he can get, I have been there and I know how remote it is where these are collected and the difficulty in getting them! If you look around our site we have plenty of low cost livestock from ultra Acans in our Build Your Own frag packs at $12.50 to our Under $15 frag selection, etc. So, lets not turn this into some ugly thread about price gouging please.

I never felt the clams were not worth the price. In fact I said I would have got them if I had better luck with the larger clams. And if I hadn't been spending so much lately I may have even tried these clams. The free shipping comment was a joke!! Lol!! You know how much I appreciate the opportunity.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My giant maxima from PEA is super happy (even though I abuse it accidentally sometimes) so maybe I need that 2faced clam!! If only I could afford it :(

Couldn't that 2faced trait be bred/aquacultured from the parents? (Sorry, idk anything about clam breeding).

My giant maxima from PEA is super happy (even though I abuse it accidentally sometimes) so maybe I need that 2faced clam!! If only I could afford it :(

Couldn't that 2faced trait be bred/aquacultured from the parents? (Sorry, idk anything about clam breeding).

It is a very rare genetic trait, such as mulatto's in human beings, where a single entity carries both pigments. This has always been a superior trait in clams. Humans are just catching on as mulatto models are now the hottest things on the runway. Often farms need to destroy the target clam in order to carry on its traits, but some inject with gonadotropin. Most destroy the parent because chemicals are expensive.

MyJasmineRose

Species of clam: Questionable, the site only has crocea but everyone thinks Maxima edit the prince of clams has declared her a maxima!

Lighting-144 Watt t5HO/LED combo, 6 bulb

Clam depth, 6" from bottom of 29

Do you skim: Yes

Do you run carbon: Yes

Do you run GFO: No

Freshwater dip: No...though I'm anxious everyday figuring out whether she's pinched or not :P

Are you seeing new growth: Well not yet since she's new, hopefully :)

Calcium/Alk: WC for now, LFS uses high calcium salt

Where and when: Saltcritters mystery box Friday

Purposefully feed? Yes

Tank Size: 29

Water changing: Weekly ~5 gal

Nitrates: 0<mine<15

H8EJlmo.jpg

Hey zeph, did you read the article that came out a little while ago on that guy that was finally able to breed his clams?

Yes, Acro Al. We were just talking about him. If I lived near the shore in Australia, with the Great Barrier Reef in my backyard, id'e be breeding clams too!!

Species of clam: Questionable, the site only has crocea but everyone thinks MaximaLighting-144 Watt t5HO/LED combo, 6 bulbClam depth, 6" from bottom of 29Do you skim: YesDo you run carbon: YesDo you run GFO: NoFreshwater dip: No...though I'm anxious everyday figuring out whether she's pinched or not :PAre you seeing new growth: Well not yet since she's new, hopefully :)Calcium/Alk: WC for now, LFS uses high calcium saltWhere and when: Saltcritters mystery box FridayPurposefully feed? YesTank Size: 29Water changing: Weekly ~5 galNitrates: 0

I understand why, it is a maxima!
MyJasmineRose

Jinxed it by adding her, she wasn't looking hot when I got up at 445, wasn't responsive until picked up. She's in qt since I'm in the lab til 10 tonight, hopefully that'll let me know if it's a parasite vs. water param/placement. Any tips appreciated :\ Clams are stressful. I know the whole <2" high mortality rule, but want to do everything I can. I think next time I'll definitely be handpicking a larger specimen instead of doing the mystery box :( The hope/current plan is to keep her in there until tomorrow's water change, clear off that rock of any algae that might be flowing and irritating her, and reacclimate.

Jinxed it by adding her, she wasn't looking hot when I got up at 445, wasn't responsive until picked up. She's in qt since I'm in the lab til 10 tonight, hopefully that'll let me know if it's a parasite vs. water param/placement. Any tips appreciated :\ Clams are stressful. I know the whole <2" high mortality rule, but want to do everything I can. I think next time I'll definitely be handpicking a larger specimen instead of doing the mystery box :( The hope/current plan is to keep her in there until tomorrow's water change, clear off that rock of any algae that might be flowing and irritating her, and reacclimate.
Yes, I admit it did look stressed in the picture. Sorry for your troubles. The only parasites clams get is pyramid snails. There are rare occurrences of other parasites, such as white spot ( not the same is in fish though), but this is so rare I have only seen it once in my entire life. What is most likely ailing your clam is a lack of organics in your water. This is the reason why most clams perish in aquaria. Secondly, it could be the clam was near death when you purchased it, which is an all to common situation, particularly is small clams as they don't travel as well and can't go as long without food. The frustrating thing about clams is they often look very healthy up until the day or two before they die, and it's way to late by then. I commend you on your quarantine efforts, but in all honesty I doubt it will help and may just stress it out a little more. What I would do is check my nitrates, as clams do require low levels of this, and feed the fish as much as possible.News flash! A whale has been spotted off the shore in NYC for the first time in history!

Humpback whale in NYC! This is not photoshopped.

RIP Robbin Williams =(

post-73763-0-43952500-1407848200_thumb.jpg

Zeph, did you get a two face? Mac has one posted for a few pretty pennies.. Didn't know if you ended up with one or not..

Mac actually has two of the "two faced clams". He offered me a deal of 4k for both. I declined. I actually would have purchased them but I have not had the best luck with his large clams. If they were smaller farmed clams I would be all over them.

that's $1k off!! lol.. that's too bad, I was hoping you'd get them and post some cool pics.. they have been posting some really gorgeous clams lately though..

I would have laughed if you bought them for that price... not worth it at all in my humble opinion. Maybe for $500-$800 per clam, but $2500 each?! Yeah right...

That is a lot of money to throw at something that may not make it.

FWIW....... Don't know if anyone noticed or not, but it looks like the 2 faced clam has sold!!

Did you cave in Zeph???

MyJasmineRose

Alright so for anyone playing the home game, this is a slightly improved version of the before pic, ie-what I woke up to this morning. I left her in qt with phyto, replenished it whenever the water cleared.

C2hHBxyl.jpg

I followed your advice and checked my nitrates, and they're the same, above 0 but below 10, fed heavily this evening. My tank has a ton of filter feeders, 5 turkey wings, all much larger than this clam, 1 unidentified non Tridacnid clam, lots of mollusks/sponges/tunicates so that might be contributing. Followed some other advice and reacclimated her but placed her as high as possible and in lower flow, after a few hours I had the opposite problem

5T99NaEl.jpg

After feeding the tank/a few more hours

GSS72xhl.jpg

So not great, but much better than what I woke up to. Thanks for your help Zeph :flower:

FWIW....... Don't know if anyone noticed or not, but it looks like the 2 faced clam has sold!! Did you cave in Zeph???
Not me! ...maybe it was jedijoe!

Alright so for anyone playing the home game, this is a slightly improved version of the before pic, ie-what I woke up to this morning. I left her in qt with phyto, replenished it whenever the water cleared.C2hHBxyl.jpgI followed your advice and checked my nitrates, and they're the same, above 0 but below 10, fed heavily this evening. My tank has a ton of filter feeders, 5 turkey wings, all much larger than this clam, 1 unidentified non Tridacnid clam, lots of mollusks/sponges/tunicates so that might be contributing. Followed some other advice and reacclimated her but placed her as high as possible and in lower flow, after a few hours I had the opposite problem5T99NaEl.jpgAfter feeding the tank/a few more hoursGSS72xhl.jpgSo not great, but much better than what I woke up to. Thanks for your help Zeph :flower:
Ahhhh, good news! It definitely looks better! One of my new favorite foods is docs Eco egg brew for all corals, fish and clams. It is so high in fatty acids, even more than Selcon. Careful with these high fat foods though, I do them a few times a week, and phyto or other foods on the other days.
jedimaster1138

Not me! ...maybe it was jedijoe!

hah! If I had 2500 beans to spend I'd probably buy another tank, not a 2500$ clam :)

Though if i bought another tank i'd need a divorce lawyer...

Any lawyers on here want to work pro bono? :-D

hah! If I had 2500 beans to spend I'd probably buy another tank, not a 2500$ clam :)

Though if i bought another tank i'd need a divorce lawyer...

Any lawyers on here want to work pro bono? :-D

Don't even go there bro!!

I've been in divorce court for almost two years now, and I don't even have any children! The legal system is pathetic, and paying out the wazoo.

They should just put two ppl in a room hand cuff them to a chair and say your not allowed to leave to go pee till you short you sh** out.

that looks really awesome (would be even cooler once colored), but I can't read it :slap:

Oops! I meant to tell u.....it says Marc. Lol! Thanks, it's looking better already, but I won't post updates every five minutes. Loll. I'll wait till I add more colors.

MyJasminRose, did the clam make it? Mine died today and I saw the same issues as your seeing, ever since it arrived. I talked to the vendor and they helped out, apparently this batch was not too healthy after shipping stresses.

MyJasminRose, did the clam make it? Mine died today and I saw the same issues as your seeing, ever since it arrived. I talked to the vendor and they helped out, apparently this batch was not too healthy after shipping stresses.

An all to common situation with wild clams. And don't make the common mistake of thinking just because a clam is small it is farmed. Be sure to get a farm raised clam next time and it should work out better.

Archived