Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

Probably. new DD items are almost always posted at EXCTLY 6 pm, mon- fri. I'm always checking at 5:59 for first choice. It's a good thing I have no class. Lol!

Zeph, I just got a small IM reactor for my Nuvo 24 tank. Been dealing with high nitrate ongoing (2-10) and phosphate always seems around 0.04-0.10. What do you think I should run in the reactor? I have a Tunze 9002 skimmer but honestly I don't think it removes that much from the tank. Running some Purigen and Chemi-Pure in the media baskets right now (removed the Phosban and CP-Elite).

I was considering biopellets but I dont think the skimmer would be up the challenge of removing the bacteria produced by the pellets. Certainly don't want to risk GFO with my clams. Any suggestions?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has there been any studies on how nitrates effect clams? My tank runs around 25-35 nitrates (using both Salifert and Red Sea) and my clam has had no problems in the year I have had it. When I slack on waterchanges for a month or so it probably gets around 50. My anemone's don't seem to care either so I stopped caring.

Has there been any studies on how nitrates effect clams? My tank runs around 25-35 nitrates (using both Salifert and Red Sea) and my clam has had no problems in the year I have had it. When I slack on waterchanges for a month or so it probably gets around 50. My anemone's don't seem to care either so I stopped caring.

Great question! And I use it myself often to test people. When I hear of people doing water changes I love to ask them why they did it. 99% of the time they say " to keep nitrates low". I would say for like....the first 30 years of reef keeping it was though nitrates are bad!! People would blame their algae problems an ailing corals because of measurable nitrates. Well, the last few years have been a complete turn around, especially for me, because we now know most corals and especially clams do better with nitrates of 1-10 ppm. I lost every single clam I ever tried to keep in systems running absolute zero nitrates, despite strong light and heavy feedings. I wouldn't want more than 10ppm in any reef tank, but clams for sure need them. Some big boy clam keepers even put in water from highly polluted fish only aquariums just to feed the clams nitrates and organics.

You know zeph..... ULN tanks are the "IN" thing right now

As someone that keeps SPS corals, I'm not a fan of ULN tanks. The corals have that pastel color look to them. I personally like the darker richer colors on acros.

Zeph, I just got a small IM reactor for my Nuvo 24 tank. Been dealing with high nitrate ongoing (2-10) and phosphate always seems around 0.04-0.10. What do you think I should run in the reactor? I have a Tunze 9002 skimmer but honestly I don't think it removes that much from the tank. Running some Purigen and Chemi-Pure in the media baskets right now (removed the Phosban and CP-Elite). I was considering biopellets but I dont think the skimmer would be up the challenge of removing the bacteria produced by the pellets. Certainly don't want to risk GFO with my clams. Any suggestions?
GFO shouldn't be a problem. In my opinion to much carbon products can though, if your talking about just clams. Carbon will remove clam food. Period. I'm not saying don't run it, but lots of guys don't. I'm saying just run a little if clams are a main concern for you. I like to use 75% phosguard or gfo, and 25% carbon. I don't mess with bio pellets, and in all honesty I don't know any big clam keepers that do. I can see responses from people doing so, I just don't know any personally.

You know zeph..... ULN tanks are the "IN" thing right now As someone that keeps SPS corals, I'm not a fan of ULN tanks. The corals have that pastel color look to them. I personally like the darker richer colors on acros.
No doubt! Each his own, there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.
ClownTriggerDude

How much can micro-bubbles bother clams ?

Mine has been receding inside it's shell for two days now, and that's the only thing I can think of, other than it's a Dr. Foster & Smith/ ORA clam. If we loose this one, that'll make 4 dead from them. We bought a clean up crew a while back, but I hear that the crabs won't kill them, and actually help.

I dont have many nutrient s in ky tank but considering how much algae id say im far fron a ULN tank

Take the clam and rotate it to burp it to make sure, I havnt lost a clam yet, I bought from cultivated reef and my lfs ORA deresa

ClownTriggerDude

Do you mean just to turn off the pumps and feed the Rotifers to the whole tank ?

Yes, all have come from them. We want to try "Your Reef" and East Coast Aquaculture, for clams.

Most, of what we've heard about ORA, people have had problems with their clams.

I'll do.

Last night his mouth was way,...open.

I have some of the very tiny,....frozen Rotifers, should I feed him ?

Thanks.

I was able to help JBB with a gaping clam. His tank had gone without good light for a while and the clam wasn't getting the nutrition obviously. He put a spotlight on it non stop 24X7 for 2 weeks and the clam recovered and is still going strong. You can have algae issues as a result of it though.

ClownTriggerDude

The Kessil 150 is pretty bright and should be fine for most corals, but I just ordered a Reef Radiance, mainly for the controllable dusk to dawn. I have their larger model for the 150g reef and love it.

We're in Nebraska, so I'll do a search for Cultivated Reef.

I was able to help JBB with a gaping clam. His tank had gone without good light for a while and the clam wasn't getting the nutrition obviously. He put a spotlight on it non stop 24X7 for 2 weeks and the clam recovered and is still going strong. You can have algae issues as a result of it though.

When I was separated from my x and had to move down the street, I never saw my tanks at night. When I finally evicted her and moved back into the apartment I realized my timer was broken and the lights had been on for several MONTHS, without turning off. Funny thing is I never noticed any down side at all! I'm sure the fish where confused though. Lol! Clams and coral didn't flitch. We have pulled deresa's, and only deresas, out of gapes with continuous light. Maybe a dedicated clam tank would do better with lights on 24/7. Crazy, I know.

Do you mean just to turn off the pumps and feed the Rotifers to the whole tank ?Yes, all have come from them. We want to try "Your Reef" and East Coast Aquaculture, for clams. Most, of what we've heard about ORA, people have had problems with their clams.
stick with PEA.

Do you mean just to turn off the pumps and feed the Rotifers to the whole tank ?Yes, all have come from them. We want to try "Your Reef" and East Coast Aquaculture, for clams. Most, of what we've heard about ORA, people have had problems with their clams.
Leave the pumps on, turn off carbon/mechanical filtration/reactors for an hour after feeding.
ClownTriggerDude

We had a Condi suck up into a power head last week, so I used carbon for 4 days and took it out because the corals, carpet & clam seamed that they did not like it.

Do you think that's is the problem with this clam, as residual effect ?

As a note, It's the carbon from Bulk Reef Supply.

You know zeph..... ULN tanks are the "IN" thing right now

As someone that keeps SPS corals, I'm not a fan of ULN tanks. The corals have that pastel color look to them. I personally like the darker richer colors on acros.

Yeah these people with full sps zeovit tanks eek me... The corals look fake and photoshopped but they aren't im more a fan of a colourful yet natural looking reef with blended more flowing colours none of that neon crap.

We had a Condi suck up into a power head last week, so I used carbon for 4 days and took it out because the corals, carpet & clam seamed that they did not like it. Do you think that's is the problem with this clam, as residual effect ?As a note, It's the carbon from Bulk Reef Supply.
Hmmm...probably not, but the bottom line is whatever makes your tank inhabitants look better, go with it! Even if it might be breaking the rules. You would have to run heavy carbon for quite a while to maybe cause problems, and when it does it is usually combined with excessive water changes. Resulting in to low organics to keep clams happy. BRS is good stuff don't worry about that.

Yeah these people with full sps zeovit tanks eek me... The corals look fake and photoshopped but they aren't im more a fan of a colourful yet natural looking reef with blended more flowing colours none of that neon crap.
I agree 100%. I've had very low nutrient systems for ever. Now I like my high nutrient tank.

Eh, I tend to like the pastels and neons ;)

Check these out! Zeph, any idea if they are really Crocea (left) and Squamosa (right) as the vendors say? Both have Maxima-like flutes on the side (not saying they are Maxima - just adding info).

RTt906f.jpg

Check these out! Zeph, any idea if they are really Crocea (left) and Squamosa (right) as the vendors say? Both have Maxima-like flutes on the side (not saying they are Maxima - just adding info).

RTt906f.jpg

Yes the left is a Crocea and the right is an Indonesia farmed ultra squamosa. They are HOT!

Wow,...I don't know what's more impressive, those beautiful clams or Zeph's knowledge !!!
Don't applauded just throw money!!! Thanks for the compliment.

hey guys i just caught my hammer coral trying to spawn, i got some sick pics, ill post em when i can
Let's see!

that white/blue squammy :wub:

could we please get a top down of that beaut? :flower:

RTt906f.jpg

Archived