Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were to know the complexity and cost to obtain them you might think differently,

Can I come work for you in Tahiti and see for myself how difficult? I can work cheap!

No one seems to have any truly cool clams in stock right now. Only exception is the squamosas on divers den. Hard for me to justify 160+ shipped for a 1.5" clam :-x

No one seems to have any truly cool clams in stock right now. Only exception is the squamosas on divers den. Hard for me to justify 160+ shipped for a 1.5" clam :-x

Looks like PEA will be posting new clams any day now.

Yah we need you to tel us what these things say some are hard to read.

It definitely needs an explanation, I know. Sorry ! I'm doing a wall with an old friend who's name is Hang10' or just Hang. We are doing a BIND and Hang mural. I know it sounds stupid, but trust me it's going to be insane. The octopus stands for the letter I, so Kat got it right B_ND. It will all make sense when it's done. I hope.

JavaJacketOC

Species of clam? - Maxima
Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? - MaxSpect Razor Nano 16k running at 60% whites / 70% blues
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 7" form water surface, light is about 10" above the water
Do you skim? - No
Do you run carbon? - No
Do you run GFO? - No
Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? - No
Are you seeing new growth? - No, too early to tell
Calcium/Alk Method? - Water Changes
Where and when did you get it? - LFS in Socal, approx 2 weeks ago.
Do you purposely feed ? - Yes, Reef Chili 2 - 3 times a week spot feeding other coral but not the clam directly
tank size - 5 Gallons
Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual ???? - 75% water change about every 10 - 12 days
Got nitrates ??? - Yes, usually below 10

PcfnN6B.jpg?1

Species of clam? - MaximaLighting - bulb, ballast and count? - MaxSpect Razor Nano 16k running at 60% whites / 70% bluesClam depth in the tank in inches? 7" form water surface, light is about 10" above the waterDo you skim? - NoDo you run carbon? - NoDo you run GFO? - NoDid you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? - NoAre you seeing new growth? - No, too early to tellCalcium/Alk Method? - Water ChangesWhere and when did you get it? LFS in Socal, approx 2 weeks ago.Do you purposely feed ? - Yes, Reef Chili 2 - 3 times a week spot feeding other coral but not the clam directlytank size - 5 GallonsMost importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual ???? 75% water change about every 10 - 12 daysGot nitrates ??? Yes, usually below 10 PcfnN6B.jpg?1

Wow that's a whole lotta water changing! I guess you have to without running carbon or gfo. Let us know how it's doing from time to time please, thanks!

Octopus jewelry.

post-73763-0-11688700-1408748725_thumb.jpg

ClownTriggerDude

We just received our three clams from Dr. Fosters & Smith/Diver Den. It was sad that the Squa came in DOA, but the gold and blue Max's are doing very well. A fellow reefer said,....that having black sand, the colors of the clams would pop, but the sand is really too dark. And my photography is not that good either.

Dr. Foster and Smith were great,...to deal with !

They offered our money back or pick out a replacement, and we bought the blue/gold Max. Beautiful !

It will be shipped on Monday.

Buy here's our first beauties. My photo's do not do show the true beauty !

Kevin

post-82203-0-54208100-1408751812_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-23644800-1408752033_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-57679400-1408752035_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-81828900-1408752037_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-00924500-1408752040_thumb.jpg

ClownTriggerDude

Patty love green clams and found this one from. "Clam Mania". but it's $250 + shipping,.... so no.

Any knowledge and experience about this company ?

If you see any great green clam's, please let me know.

Kevin

post-82203-0-40185600-1408753039_thumb.jpg

We just received our three clams from Dr. Fosters & Smith/Diver Den. It was sad that the Squa came in DOA, but the gold and blue Max's are doing very well. A fellow reefer said,....that having black sand, the colors of the clams would pop, but the sand is really too dark. And my photography is not that good either. Dr. Foster and Smith were great,...to deal with !They offered our money back or pick out a replacement, and we bought the blue/gold Max. Beautiful !It will be shipped on Monday. Buy here's our first beauties. My photo's do not do show the true beauty !Kevin
Those look like Ora gold and purple/gold.? Am I correct? If so please keep me tuned in on the condition of these clams in the next few months, I would really like to know how they do for you.

Patty love green clams and found this one from. "Clam Mania". but it's $250 + shipping,.... so no.Any knowledge and experience about this company ? If you see any great green clam's, please let me know.Kevin
Hmmmm, I'm thinking a little over priced. Keep an eye on Pacific East Aquculture. Dr. Mac is due to post some new clams soon. Hopefully big ones.
ClownTriggerDude

Well, we got them from Dr. Fosters & Smith, which is Divers Den, so I don't think they would be from ORA.

But you never know.

Thanks for the fyi, we check them out everyday as they send us new posted calms all the time.

My new 1.75" ORA Gold Maxima isn't doing so hot. Think he might be gone by morning. I've had him in the tank about 2-3 weeks now and looked great when I picked him out in person @ Unique Corals. The Black/White Maxima which is around an inch is doing great sitting just a few inches to his side.

9O637j3.jpg

Well, we got them from Dr. Fosters & Smith, which is Divers Den, so I don't think they would be from ORA.But you never know. Thanks for the fyi, we check them out everyday as they send us new posted calms all the time.
Yes those are from ORA. All clams come from someplace, DD doesn't make them =)

My new 1.75" ORA Gold Maxima isn't doing so hot. Think he might be gone by morning. I've had him in the tank about 2-3 weeks now and looked great when I picked him out in person @ Unique Corals. The Black/White Maxima which is around an inch is doing great sitting just a few inches to his side. 9O637j3.jpg
I hate to say it, but I won't buy those small ORA's anymore. Like yours, they have come and gone while other clams stand strong.
ClownTriggerDude

God makes them, they just distribute. lol

Thanks for the education.

I wish they did not sell such small ones, but I've only seen clams under 2.25", one was actually 2.5" and that's the largest. Do you feed these small guys ?

Do you like Pacific East ?

Lol I'm pretty sure zeph love pea. Him and dr.mac are good friends by the way he always gets first dibs. Whats up with ora lately they are supposed to be top notch aquaculture re but their clams are really crappy most times. ( from what I've read in other threads ora clams usually all die).

I'm lucky since my lfs always carries big clams only Maximas though. I really want a squamosa but they never have them

Clam made it through the night, I just did a 5min FW dip on him so lets see what happens. Also removed Chemi-Pure Elite from the tank and bought some regular Chemi-Pure instead.

What are your thoughts on Purigen Zeph? Any harm in using it? Also, Chemi-Pure Blue?

Test video of me giving a gigas clam a Fresh water dip. More responses after dinner, I just want to see if this works. Never posted a video from my phone before

Clam made it through the night, I just did a 5min FW dip on him so lets see what happens. Also removed Chemi-Pure Elite from the tank and bought some regular Chemi-Pure instead. What are your thoughts on Purigen Zeph? Any harm in using it? Also, Chemi-Pure Blue?
Those products will not bother your clams, but some people feel excessive heavy use of carbon is not a good idea for clams as it can absorb all those organics that clams require. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Lol I'm pretty sure zeph love pea. Him and dr.mac are good friends by the way he always gets first dibs. Whats up with ora lately they are supposed to be top notch aquaculture re but their clams are really crappy most times. ( from what I've read in other threads ora clams usually all die). I'm lucky since my lfs always carries big clams only Maximas though. I really want a squamosa but they never have them
Squamosas are becoming my favorite clams these days! Mostly because they are easier to keep than Maximas and are being farmed in nice colors lately. I'm really very excited in the breakthroughs we have seen in clam farming. Instead or worrying they might be put on the CITES endangered list, clams will only continue to get better and more colorful, and the prices have actually gone down.

Archived