Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

ClownTriggerDude

May have been some toxin's and the carbon removed them ?

Just don't use the carbon too often or too long of days in the tank. If you think it's ok now, think about removing it and watch the clam. If he starts to react again, use some more carbon until he's healthy again.

Use GFO instead.

Kevin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just don't use the carbon too often or too long of days in the tank. If you think it's ok now, think about removing it and watch the clam. If he starts to react again, use some more carbon until he's healthy again.

Use GFO instead.

Kevin

Ill see how my clam is later today, I also only use carbon to remove something, I never really use media that much

Use GFO instead.

Kevin

Good advice. However it is important to know GFO shares most of the same absorptive / adsorbative properties as carbon does.

Good advice. However it is important to know GFO shares most of the same absorptive / adsorbative properties as carbon does.

Once i pull the carbon out I wont be using it unless I need to

ClownTriggerDude

Yes it does, but not in the high amount like carbon. There's a chemical (can't recall the name) that is very harmful to fish and corals, causing hole in the head disease among other health issues. A quick search on the internet will tell you. When performing a water change, get two white buckets, put the tank water on one and the other RO water, if it's yellow like urine, you know you have too many fish and the bacteria can't break it all down quick enough.

Carbon is a very useful product to remove toxins, just don't use it 24/7. Once a month should be all you need, if that much.

ClownTriggerDude

Sorry, but isn't or was, your clam sick ?

I wrote my post's thinking you were asking what could have happened to it, so that's why I thought the use of some carbon may help.

I apologize if I'm wrong and did not intend to change your thread. ;)

Kevin

Im prettt sure it was the h2o2, i only put in the carbon after I noticed something wrong, I just wasnt sure how a clam would be affected by too much h2o2. I got confused when you started talking out the color of the water and hole in the head. So no worries about

Words of wisdom by Anthony Calfo:

I even considered titleling the book "The controversial book of coral propagation". Why "controversial?" Because every book and new technique in this hobby is labled "controversial" by somebody just before a flaming war breaks out on the internet by people who have way to much free time and need a hobby (hey, how about an aquarium hobby?). Take, for example, the issue of artificial lighting. If you get a few beers into the wrong aquarist and ask them to debate what is the "best artificial lighting" for a reef aquarium, you are likely to instigate a riot the likes of which you'll not find this side of a European soccer match ( oh excuuuuuse me!!! A European FOOTBALL match,,,,great, now we are really going to have a fight!) Rather than use the word "controversial" couldn't we just call it what it is in the pioneer spirit : EXPERIMENTAL?

These outspoken hobbyists who participate in arguments, that they would like to call debates, are usually, raving, long winded (please refer to the length of my own ((sentences) and petty individuals who generally speak because they like to hear the sound of their own voice. (hey, wait a minute, I think I just insulted myself!) I say relax, have another pint of beer, turn on the actinic lights and Pink Floyd/Moody Blues compilation music, and lets all be friends.

So what can be done to better the world regarding your participation in this hobby? Leave it a better place than you found it. Right? For starters recognize that one of our highest goals should be the establishment of a self-sustaining hobby. THis is not a news flash for those that have been paying attention. If you are not keenly aware that there is a very real threat of restrictive legislation that could, in time potentially extinguish the private keeping of many coral reef creatures, than you are new to the hobby or an ostrich. By the way, you do know that ostrich's don't really burry their heads in the sand right? ( although they are equally aware of legislative issues). Some folks believe this is not a question of "if" but rather "when" legislative restrictions will sweep the industry of marine ornamentals. And so we probably can agree that most of us are beginners or intermediate aquarists. Who than among us is qualified to write on the subject of coral propagation? The most experienced and well informed minds are too busy working in the trenches (the very place that made them so wise) to take the time to write or teach to exclusion. I have always believed this to be true of most industries. If you want reliable information about aquarium filtration , stocking densities, and pathology, for example, who can talk to a successful wholesaler or retailer. Find someone with extensive, practical, hands-on experience handling thousands of fish and maintaining tens of thousands of gallons of seawater, and not just someone with a few good aquariums that spends most of their time online. Keep in mind that you are unlikely to meet a guru ( pronounced "ga-roo", thank you Mr. Frank Zappa) on the internet at 2am. Most, if not all the real wizards in the industry are not waiting for you with a speedy electronic reply at a moments notice. In fact, it is more likely that the self-professed expert that has been so generously giving you electronic Misinformation sits in fron of his or her computer buck nekid just like you and me. I know, I know....I don't like to think about it either; its sad but true.

On a more serious note ( if such a thing is even possible for me), we need to put into perspective the very youth of our hobby and our pioneer approach with consideration for the danger of taking advice from fellow pioneers as absolute marine gospel. It is to easy to do in this hobby where most folks are so very kind and generous about sharing information, as we all should be. ut take advice for what its worth and consider the source. Your advisor may have the most beautiful aquarium you've ever seen, but consider if that success has been repeated several times for extended periods of more than just a few years? In fact, ask yourself how many marine aquarium systems have you seen that were established for more than 10 years?

Gather informed morsels of information along your way and make INFORMED, educated decisions based on intelligent consensus. indeed, we need to beware of false prophets, however well intended they may be. If you have ever heard the words " I don't know....perhaps we can find that out." even once from your wisest counsel....be wary!!! And be even more afraid if the answer to every unidentified organism query is "Porites!!!!....definitely a porites species." ( But sir, how is this possible, its a fish!?!?!)

Aiyaiyai. I think Tetra is a dood.

I've given up trying to keep up with the gang. Sorry Tetra!

hey zeph heres my clam, is there anything i should do?

20140702_172806_zps8303eecc.jpg

Hmmm, clam is definitely stressing! Looking at all that micro algae makes me think you nutrients may be to high. It really could be one of many things. It may be squished in that crevice, nutrients to high or to low of you run lots of carbon or GFO. Perhaps in an attempt to vanquish that hair algae you've depleted all the clam nutrients. Than again, clams sometimes die for no reason at all. How long did it look healthy before it looked like that?

Hmmm, clam is definitely stressing! Looking at all that micro algae makes me think you nutrients may be to high. It really could be one of many things. It may be squished in that crevice, nutrients to high or to low of you run lots of carbon or GFO. Perhaps in an attempt to vanquish that hair algae you've depleted all the clam nutrients. Than again, clams sometimes die for no reason at all. How long did it look healthy before it looked like that?

ive been dosing tech m for bryopsis, and only put the carbon in the tank yesterday, and yanked a bunch out and squirted h2o2 on the affected areas, i did about 44ml of h2o2, and it reacted like this the next day, the tank was upgraded recently, thats why all the micro algae,

Tetra, I don;t think that is bryopsis, I could be wrong. You can safely take that rock out, clam and all and do a peroxide treatment. Clam can stay exposed to air for some time without problems. Be sure not to dribble the peroxide on the clam, just on the rock.

Tetra, I don;t think that is bryopsis, I could be wrong. You can safely take that rock out, clam and all and do a peroxide treatment. Clam can stay exposed to air for some time without problems. Be sure not to dribble the peroxide on the clam, just on the rock.

the bryopsis isnt on that rock, its on other rocks and my rock wall. so your right its not bryopsis, i dont want to loose my clam

WOw!!! oh man....I don't usually care for Devil possession movies, but we just saw the premier of Deliver us From Evil and WHOAAA!!!! THis was by far the most authentic possession movie ever, with a slight twist of humor. I am really not into fiction movies or books much but this is said to be a true story based on the sworn statement of officer Ralph Starchi of the 49th precinct, as well as the priest whose name I cant remember.

TWO THUMBS UP!!!

the bryopsis isnt on that rock, its on other rocks and my rock wall. so your right its not bryopsis, i dont want to loose my clam

I don't want you to lose it either, but I have zero experience with hydrogen peroxide. I think Kat knows best.

WOw!!! oh man....I don't usually care for Devil possession movies, but we just saw the premier of Deliver us From Evil and WHOAAA!!!! THis was by far the most authentic possession movie ever, with a slight twist of humor. I am really not into fiction movies or books much but this is said to be a true story based on the sworn statement of officer Ralph Starchi of the 49th precinct, as well as the priest whose name I cant remember.

TWO THUMBS UP!!!

I don't want you to lose it either, but I have zero experience with hydrogen peroxide. I think Kat knows best.

nice, well im not one for horror myself, but glad you liked it, and i stopped adding anything to the tank, tech m, h2o2, and such, and will monitor my clam for now

nice, well im not one for horror myself, but glad you liked it, and i stopped adding anything to the tank, tech m, h2o2, and such, and will monitor my clam for now

Good move, that'swhat I would do. When my clams look a little off I stop adding anything and everything. I almost hate to say this but my experience is, with the exception of calcium, clams don't care about or even require ANYTHING you may be dosing. Ie. iodine, mag, phyto, etc. most clam keepers I know don't dose anything except calcium. Recent advice from fatheree admits " I don't dose anything except kalk".

Good move, that'swhat I would do. When my clams look a little off I stop adding anything and everything. I almost hate to say this but my experience is, with the exception of calcium, clams don't care about or even require ANYTHING you may be dosing. Ie. iodine, mag, phyto, etc. most clam keepers I know don't dose anything except calcium. Recent advice from fatheree admits " I don't dose anything except kalk".

yea only time will tell,

Snow_Phoenix

These are my two Crocea clams (one blue and one purple):

T3wS80A.png

They're currently in the highest LR ledge of my 15G salty under 96W of T5HO lighting (1 10K K Daylight white, 2 actinic blue and 1 purple pink tube(s)).

MxpfNnu.png

YagE1Yh.png

This was how they originally looked like under 48W of T5HO lighting (1 10K K Daylight and 1 actinic tube) in my 30G. The purple one is around 2" whilst the blue one is around 2.5 to 3". Both have gained about 0.25" since I got them a few months ago. :)

I put peroxide in my 20g tank awhile back (prob 400 mL or so) with the clam right next to it and it never showed any stress. I'm pretty sure my clam has superpowers though...

These are my two Crocea clams (one blue and one purple): T3wS80A.png They're currently in the highest LR ledge of my 15G salty under 96W of T5HO lighting (1 10K K Daylight white, 2 actinic blue and 1 purple pink tube(s)). MxpfNnu.pngYagE1Yh.png This was how they originally looked like under 48W of T5HO lighting (1 10K K Daylight and 1 actinic tube) in my 30G. The purple one is around 2" whilst the blue one is around 2.5 to 3". Both have gained about 0.25" since I got them a few months ago. :)
Very nice, you have proved that clams can do well even under moderate light. Even Croceas, which are the most unforgiving. Good job!

I put peroxide in my 20g tank awhile back (prob 400 mL or so) with the clam right next to it and it never showed any stress. I'm pretty sure my clam has superpowers though...
Well, it has a super owner, that's for sure!
Snow_Phoenix

Thank you, Zeph. I honestly never thought I'd be capable of keeping a lone clam - what more two! When I first started out, they were both under 3" and I was worried about the lighting. Once I decommed my 30G and shifted them to my 15G and upgraded my lights, they seemed to be doing far better (nice healthy mantle extension and noticeable growth). I feed them a mix of phyto, zoo and mysis-brine juice about twice to thrice a week. I only dose trace elements and a dKH buffer to keep Ca, Mg and Alk levels in check. They're aquacultured croceas though, so I -think- they're hardier and slightly more forgiving than the regular wild crocea.

Very nice, you have proved that clams can do well even under moderate light. Even Croceas, which are the most unforgiving. Good job!

Archived