inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

I agree that you should wait on adding a clam until things have truly hit an equilibrium. My tank has been fairly stable since setup, but I'm still working on trying to get alk, calc, and mag at a stable place. When those three vary just a bit out of line my coral growth slows down or like recently stopped. I have successfully stopped all STN on the acros(thankfully they are cheap) I have by getting these back in line. Now I need to get them to grow. Adding a clam in would only exacerbate the issue by sucking up all the calc and dropping my alk. I am also trying to get my nitrates in order. They vary between 10 and 20 ppm, which is a bit high it seems when alk varies causing STN. I'd like to maintain about 5 ppm. I am ordering a SAC-301 skimmer to help bring my nitrates down to a reasonable level since I feed everyday(have to for the scooter blenny which is fat and happy and I like fat happy fish). Once I have a steady system with healthy colonies of coral, then I can anticipate the load the clam will add to the system and be able to accommodate. Shelling out 100 bucks and then losing the clam because my system can't cope would seriously piss me off. Its no fun when any animal we keep dies and definitely not fun when an expensive one dies.

Sounds good to me, Although skimming wont do much to lower your nitrates, which should be around 2-5 ppm ( IMO). If you want to get them down with water changes its best to do that before you get a clam. Like you said, clams are pretty expensive.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Species of clam? Tridacna derasa
Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? reef breeders value fixture
Clam depth in the tank in inches? bottom of my 20 long,
DOC level estimate? ( dont worry almost nobody can answer this) still have no idea
Do you skim? yup
Do you run carbon? never did unless i needed to
Do you run GFO? not sure what this means
Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? not yet
Are you seeing new growth? too soon, only had the clam for about a week
Calcium/Alk Method? right now, i dose with seachem calc and researching for a good alk method
Where and when did you get it? LFS, its a ORA derasa
Do you purposely feed ? right now no, im fighting bryopsis

tank size 20 long with 10 gallon combo sump

Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual ???? nothing yet

Got nitrates ??? havent tested yet

i know you love pics zeph, but my lights arent on yet, i promice to post a pic when the lights are on

Species of clam? Tridacna derasa

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? reef breeders value fixture

Clam depth in the tank in inches? bottom of my 20 long,

DOC level estimate? ( dont worry almost nobody can answer this) still have no idea

Do you skim? yup

Do you run carbon? never did unless i needed to

Do you run GFO? not sure what this means

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? not yet

Are you seeing new growth? too soon, only had the clam for about a week

Calcium/Alk Method? right now, i dose with seachem calc and researching for a good alk method

Where and when did you get it? LFS, its a ORA derasa

Do you purposely feed ? right now no, im fighting bryopsis

tank size 20 long with 10 gallon combo sump

Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual ???? nothing yet

Got nitrates ??? havent tested yet

i know you love pics zeph, but my lights arent on yet, i promice to post a pic when the lights are on

Congratulations on the clam ! I am going to hold you to your promise, and return with a promise to you. I promise to update this thread by the end of the week.

:D

ClownTriggerDude

Please let me know if you want me to start a new thread about this water quality for clams, as I don't want to take over your thread. This is very interesting.

Back in the 90's, my wife and I had several reef tanks, large and small. One of our favorite tanks was a 40g breeder that was clam dedicated, but also had mushrooms and several very nice selections of macro algae's and three small fish. It housed 9 beautiful,.....clams, of different types.

It contained about 45 lbs of atlantic rock and 60 lbs of seeded live sand. The lighting was one 175w M/H and two VHO tubes. I made the air driven pvc skimmer. I never fed the clams. After adding the fish and cycling for 6 weeks, all the parameter's were great so we started with two clams, we continued adding clams. I made a crude calcium reactor because the clams were soaking up more than the kalkwasser could supply. With only a diamond gobie, it's crab and two other small fish, the nutrients were very low. A bristle worm did kill one clam and my wife was so upset she almost wanted to get rid of it, but came to her sence's in a few days. Lol

We started racing winged sprint cars and I built a 1966 Ford 427 Shelby Cobra and bought a boat, so something had to go. Lol

We sold most everything related to the reef hobby, but now were back into this wonderful hobby. I just set up a 29g BioCube for my wife and will house clams, mushrooms and a few LPS's with a Kessil 150w sky blue pendant, Cadlights nano skimmer and two media towers.

My point is, although the old tank had very low amounts of nutrients, good skimming, lighting and light feeding of the fish, the tank thrived. Every tank is different and it worked great for us.

hey zeph heres my new clam

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/tetraodon1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140626_115630_zps7916e254.jpg.html'>20140626_115630_zps7916e254.jpg

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/tetraodon1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140626_115652_zps3657cef8.jpg.html'>20140626_115652_zps3657cef8.jpg

Please let me know if you want me to start a new thread about this water quality for clams, as I don't want to take over your thread. This is very interesting.
Back in the 90's, my wife and I had several reef tanks, large and small. One of our favorite tanks was a 40g breeder that was clam dedicated, but also had mushrooms and several very nice selections of macro algae's and three small fish. It housed 9 beautiful,.....clams, of different types.

It contained about 45 lbs of atlantic rock and 60 lbs of seeded live sand. The lighting was one 175w M/H and two VHO tubes. I made the air driven pvc skimmer. I never fed the clams. After adding the fish and cycling for 6 weeks, all the parameter's were great so we started with two clams, we continued adding clams. I made a crude calcium reactor because the clams were soaking up more than the kalkwasser could supply. With only a diamond gobie, it's crab and two other small fish, the nutrients were very low. A bristle worm did kill one clam and my wife was so upset she almost wanted to get rid of it, but came to her sence's in a few days. Lol

We started racing winged sprint cars and I built a 1966 Ford 427 Shelby Cobra and bought a boat, so something had to go. Lol
We sold most everything related to the reef hobby, but now were back into this wonderful hobby. I just set up a 29g BioCube for my wife and will house clams, mushrooms and a few LPS's with a Kessil 150w sky blue pendant, Cadlights nano skimmer and two media towers.

My point is, although the old tank had very low amounts of nutrients, good skimming, lighting and light feeding of the fish, the tank thrived. Every tank is different and it worked great for us.

dude, i would would sell most of my stuff for a shelby 427 s/c, you still have that car?

ClownTriggerDude

Yes, I do and will never sell it.

I could talk all day about it and many stories.

427 side oiler that Carroll Shelby's team raced in 1967. I rebuilt it in 2003 with bigger cam, lots of head work, dominator carb. etc....

Dynode 637 HP/ 580 ft.lbs torque at the rear wheels.

Ran 3 laps at the Kansas Motor Speedway, 164.3 mph.

1/4 mile on slicks, 10.38 sec @134mph.

0-60 mph, 3.8 sec.

More photo's- ( I can't paste a link for them) ???

post-82203-0-64755600-1403828269_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-04180400-1403828328_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-39238200-1403828370_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-11395700-1403828503_thumb.jpg

post-82203-0-88690100-1403828561_thumb.jpg

427 side oiler that Carroll Shelby's team raced in 1967. I rebuilt it in 2003 with bigger cam, lots of head work, dominator carb. etc....

0-60 mph, 3.8 sec.

ok damn, i just had a cargasm, i know i probably will never own even a kit car of it, but damn i can dream

0-60 mph, 3.8 sec.

That is INSANE. Friggin AWESOME !!!

Dreams come true, mine did, so can yours.

So did mine, but count your blessings my friend and don't take anything for granted. I've seen millionaires go homeless. Hell it almost happened to me.

No need to start a new thread. This thread doesn't get enough action as it is. The old clam tank sounds sweet, and you have had good luck with clams. You obviously have the gift of a wet thumb...with a little motor oil on it to boot !!!

She has been improving dramatically over the last 3 weeks or so. Blue pigments (most easily seen in the first photo of her that I ever posted) have started to return, and her mantle has gained quite a bit of color/pigment over all. She isn't looking pale anymore and I am really excited to continue watching her improve.

ClamImprovementsLBRHz.jpg

She has been improving dramatically over the last 3 weeks or so. Blue pigments (most easily seen in the first photo of her that I ever posted) have started to return, and her mantle has gained quite a bit of color/pigment over all. She isn't looking pale anymore and I am really excited to continue watching her improve.ClamImprovementsLBRHz.jpg

It looks stunning!! Super healthy. Whatever you're doing don't change a thing!

It looks stunning!! Super healthy. Whatever you're doing don't change a thing!

But my system is running off of a canister filter and I don't even have a skimmer... shouldn't I be changing everything?

;)

But my system is running off of a canister filter and I don't even have a skimmer... shouldn't I be changing everything?

;)

You're a pioneer for future clam keepers.

Bad new first : SO yesterday was my birthday, 47 !!!!! Hard to believe the big FIVE ZERO is just around the corner.

Good news ??? I got a nifty new laptop and can get back to posting hot pics ????

Happy clam keeping Nano Reefers!!!

Yes, what are you doing to make the clam happier ?

Did a water change and running carbon, wasnt sure what else I can do

Im really not sure, iv e never had an algae problem <knock on wood>.

happy birthday by the way haha

Thank you cutie !

Well, happy belated birthday, nice to know there are more of us in our 40s.

SO true...and Thank You !!!!!!

Archived