Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

Quoting my original post. Oreo is now with me 13 months.

20140521_075820.jpg

Tangerine has been with me for 6.5 months

20131106_074042_1.jpg

All the best stuff in that tank came from me. :D Your prized Subulata ( aka the Nasuta) And the 13 month clam. Don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and...

....they...

...be

....goneeeee.

< The return of the Napper>

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a PEA farmed Maxima. Clams don't get any better than those ( for the most part).

I definitely wamt a maxima from them, im also not sure if I wajt another maxima or try a diffrent species this time

All the best stuff in that tank came from me. :D Your prized Subulata ( aka the Nasuta) And the 13 month clam. Don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and...

....they...

...be

....goneeeee.

< The return of the Napper>

5044.jpg

I definitely wamt a maxima from them, im also not sure if I wajt another maxima or try a diffrent species this time

Wait till PEA gets in their shipment of Palau farmed Croceas. The Palau farm pust out the healthiest clams in the world. PERIOD!

Wait till PEA gets in their shipment of Palau farmed Croceas. The Palau farm pust out the healthiest clams in the world. PERIOD!

Ill keep an eye out, I was going through my magazine collection and found the giant clam edition of coral magazine, its an awesome read

I will need an immediate text message when those become available. Kapeesh cadet?

Hi guys greeting from

Malaysia ..

Just got my first clam ?2 weeks ago . sorry cant upload photos right now ..

Species - crocea 3inch

Lighting - ocean revive s026

Clam depth - 10 inch from watee surface

Doc level - i have no idea

Skimmer- yes

Carbon - no

Gfo - yes (small amount only)

Freshwater dip - nahh should it be dipped?

New growth - too early to telL

Cal/alk method - brightwell cl kh dose

When and where did you get it - friend give for free

Feed - naahh

Tank size - 1.5ft cubic , approx 23gallon

Water changes - weekly 10%

got notrates - yeahh . 5 ppm..

I will need an immediate text message when those become available. Kapeesh cadet?

Yes dear. :)

Hi guys greeting from

Malaysia ..

Just got my first clam ?2 weeks ago . sorry cant upload photos right now ..

Species - crocea 3inch

Lighting - ocean revive s026

Clam depth - 10 inch from watee surface

Doc level - i have no idea

Skimmer- yes

Carbon - no

Gfo - yes (small amount only)

Freshwater dip - nahh should it be dipped?

New growth - too early to telL

Cal/alk method - brightwell cl kh dose

When and where did you get it - friend give for free

Feed - naahh

Tank size - 1.5ft cubic , approx 23gallon

Water changes - weekly 10%

got notrates - yeahh . 5 ppm..

Welcome Malaysia!!!! No need to fresh water dip your clam unless it looks like it is suffering from the dreaded pinched mantle disease. Thank you for sharing!.

No probelm! Might getting another 2.5 inch blue crocea .. But quite afraid cl n kh swing of keeping 2 clam ..

I have 2 clams in my BC14. My derasa is pushing 3.5 inches and my maxima is now about 1.5 inches.

Have had the derasa almost a year and the max since Dec '13.

All I do is 10% WCs every 2 weeks. My tank is a little over 2 years old. It's a bit on the dirty side which

clams like. W-

Cameron

My tank is 1.5ft cubic .. Approx 23 gallon .. Currently

Before i put clam

Cl -440

Mg-1350

Po4 -0.25

No3 -5

Kh-8.5

Ward

U dose anything? Or just wc?

After a week ( been at college weekdays) clam in cl drop by 390 kh by 7..luckly all been fine .. Soo i ask my little brother help with dosing to keep my cl at 420-430

Kh 8.5-9.. Manually dosing btw .. Couldnt afford dosing pump lol

Species of clam: Derasa
Lighting - Ecotech Radion Gen 1
Clam depth: 24"
DOC level estimate? ( dont worry almost nobody can answer this)
Do you skim: Yes
Do you run carbon: Yes
Do you run GFO: Periodically
Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam: No
Are you seeing new growth: Yes
Calcium/Alk Method: Dosing pumps set up to dose both Cal and Alk
Where and when did you get it: Got it at my lfs 4 months ago
Do you purposely feed: I feed my fish but I do not purposely target feed the clam.

tank size: 30 gallon AIO

Water change schedule: 5 gallon water change every sunday.

Got nitrates: None that my test kits have picked up.

I will post a pic once I'm not on my work computer.

hey zeph when are you going to update the registry?

I know right ? How about today ....Ok today for sure. 'Im off from the gym so I will have some extra time.

I know right ? How about today ....Ok today for sure. 'Im off from the gym so I will have some extra time.

Haha nice, I also got my tank switched during the weekend with minimal loss

Cameron

My tank is 1.5ft cubic .. Approx 23 gallon .. Currently

Before i put clam

Cl -440

Mg-1350

Po4 -0.25

No3 -5

Kh-8.5

Ward

U dose anything? Or just wc?

No dosing. Just WCs. I have been trying Nualgi. Seems to be pretty good. Started a diatom bloom. Which is standard with it.

But also cyano started to creep up. So stopped that. I add half a capful of IO reef accelerator. That's it.

jedimaster1138

Figured you'd get a kick out of this tank. This guy's clams (which are all huge) regularly spawn and he has video of the event. It's a few years old, but still fascinating.

FlowerMama

Figured you'd get a kick out of this tank. This guy's clams (which are all huge) regularly spawn and he has video of the event. It's a few years old, but still fascinating.

OH my gosh, they made it completely foggy. I read that when one does, the other do too. That's cool. It's too bad that doesn't happen w/ rockflowers. ;)

Species of clam - Maxima

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count - DIY LED, 6cree 3w RB, 3NW, 2UV, 1OCW

Clam depth in the tank in inches - 7

DOC level estimate - Whats DOC? Just kidding, I have no idea.

Do you skim - Yes but stopped while acclimating Clam.

Do you run carbon - no

Do you run GFO - no

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam - no

Are you seeing new growth - no (8 days old)

Calcium/Alk Method - B ionic 2 part

Where and when did you get it CT frag farmers market from PEA 3-8-14

Do you purposely feed yes but only while acclimating

tank size 7g 1yr old tank

Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual 1g once per week, but holding off on next one.

Got nitrates ??? last I checked, zero

I couldnt resist! The PEA display was so pretty, I even bought the T-shirt! FYI he's about 2"

attachicon.gifIMG_0097.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0093.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0092.JPG

No matter how many times I place a rock under him he hops off. Im just going to leave him alone to do his own thing. It drives me crazy though that he seems to like having his byssal up in the air.

attachicon.gifIMG_0091.JPG

Alas clam just died. Looked pretty good for 2.5 months (despite never attaching) then one day boom. Wont be giving in to temptation again until I'm no longer 'nano'. I suspect params just werent stable enough. Not so easy in a 5g

Used to do weekly WC's but held off once I got this guy, I also deliberately over-fed slightly just to see if I could get my nitrates above zero (never could), figured my water was a little too clean.

Alas clam just died. Looked pretty good for 2.5 months (despite never attaching) then one day boom. Wont be giving in to temptation again until I'm no longer 'nano'. I suspect params just werent stable enough. Not so easy in a 5g

Used to do weekly WC's but held off once I got this guy, I also deliberately over-fed slightly just to see if I could get my nitrates above zero (never could), figured my water was a little too clean.

That is a shame.

Sorry I haven't updated the list in a while. We are renovating and the computer is actually up on milk crates, and I still cant post pictures because Internet expolorer stinks.

By the way, I just noticed a small clam growing on the side of my big clam! I love it.

Sorry I haven't updated the list in a while. We are renovating and the computer is actually up on milk crates, and I still cant post pictures because Internet expolorer stinks.

By the way, I just noticed a small clam growing on the side of my big clam! I love it.

tridacna?

Archived