Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

I'm heading to dallas next weekend, good luck I have an overweight attack siamese cat who will talk you to death untill she gets treats.

so cute. Siamese talk a lot they say, true? My cat talks a lot also, he's just a tabby.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't even want to post this pic because I cant post pictures correctly and have to attach them as a thumbnail, but this type of clam only comes by a couple times per year if that. And when they do they are MUCHHOOOOOO EXPENSIVOOOOOOO!!!

THanks Dr. Mac .

Ps. Its a teal teardrop maxima. 4"

post-73763-0-51181200-1403480426_thumb.jpg

Is it a small one or over 3 inches ???

honestly I dunno.. I got it into the cart as fast as I could along with a few fish and checked out. I don't see a plug so it's probably over 3". Should ship tomorrow so we'll see.

I didn't even want to post this pic because I cant post pictures correctly and have to attach them as a thumbnail, but this type of clam only comes by a couple times per year if that. And when they do they are MUCHHOOOOOO EXPENSIVOOOOOOO!!!

THanks Dr. Mac .

I just upload in photobucket and copy past in gage URL. Easy

ClownTriggerDude

THanks Dr. Mac .

So, hate to ask but, how much ?

I just upload in photobucket and copy past in gage URL. Easy

That's how I always did it but it doesn't work on this computer. It just locks up and I have to close the page.

So, hate to ask but, how much ?

He he he....

u had to ask.

$450.00

honestly I dunno.. I got it into the cart as fast as I could along with a few fish and checked out. I don't see a plug so it's probably over 3". Should ship tomorrow so we'll see.

The larger ones do good. Ive had one for almost a year now. But ive lost every small one.

THanks Dr. Mac .

you should let me fix your computer.

No words needed.

Hummuna hummuna hummuna

you should let me fix your computer.

Hummuna hummuna hummuna

I don't know what the problem is, but its only on NR. I can post photos on MR and Reef Central, but on NR it just locks up. I was taking this as a hint from God and laying low, but now im just getting pissed off.

I don't know what the problem is, but its only on NR. I can post photos on MR and Reef Central, but on NR it just locks up. I was taking this as a hint from God and laying low, but now im just getting pissed off.

tried an alternate browser? firefox vs ie?

if you're using photobucket.. you can just copy the jpg link and type IMG picture.jpg /IMG with the brackets [ ] around IMG and /IMG

or get a flickr account and just copy pasta the BB code.

if you're using photobucket.. you can just copy the jpg link and type IMG picture.jpg /IMG with the brackets [ ] around IMG and /IMG

or get a flickr account and just copy pasta the BB code.

I'll give it a shot, Thanks Mike.

Jumpy likes to play hide and seek, but shes not usually that difficult to find.

ears_zpsba0595ad.jpg

Posting from STAPLES!!!!

I use imgur to post my pics. Allows me to downsize the pics in imgur before I post them which is awesome. I also use Chrome instead of firefox and IE. Absolutely despise IE and its back button that chooses when it wants to work.

Edit:

Want to add, I want to get a clam so bad, but I am waiting. I don't want to add a clam within the first year. But I've made some room on the sand bed just for one when I finally get one.

Species of clam? Derasa
Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 150w phoenix lumatek selectawatt
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 20"
DOC level estimate? I ride on the verge of cyano
Do you skim? yes, oversized
Do you run carbon? 1 cup
Do you run GFO? 2/3rd cup
Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? Hope not
Are you seeing new growth? too soon
Calcium/Alk Method? Manual (dowflake) /Dosed (pH plus pool increaser)
Where and when did you get it? Divers Den. Arrived 6/24/14
Do you purposely feed ? rare

tank size 180g

Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual ???? 25 gallons every week or so

Got nitrates ??? around 1

https://flic.kr/p/o73Crg'>14508260665_59b4af12ee_z.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/o6Kfvn'>14504869991_6c9e80fc6f_z.jpg

Species of clam? Derasa

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 150w phoenix lumatek selectawatt

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 20"

DOC level estimate? I ride on the verge of cyano

Do you skim? yes, oversized

Do you run carbon? 1 cup

Do you run GFO? 2/3rd cup

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? Hope not

Are you seeing new growth? too soon

Calcium/Alk Method? Manual (dowflake) /Dosed (pH plus pool increaser)

Where and when did you get it? Divers Den. Arrived 6/24/14

Do you purposely feed ? rare

tank size 180g

Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedual ???? 25 gallons every week or so

Got nitrates ??? around 1

14508260665_59b4af12ee_z.jpg

14504869991_6c9e80fc6f_z.jpg

That is a REALLY nice Deresa. What a heavy blue rim.,Wow. It appears to be atleast 3 inches, thank GOD - Let me know how its doing in a couple of months please. Very curious since you run carbon and GFO.

I use imgur to post my pics. Allows me to downsize the pics in imgur before I post them which is awesome. I also use Chrome instead of firefox and IE. Absolutely despise IE and its back button that chooses when it wants to work.

Edit:

Want to add, I want to get a clam so bad, but I am waiting. I don't want to add a clam within the first year. But I've made some room on the sand bed just for one when I finally get one.

You are wise my friend. I made the mistake of introducing clams into my newest tank that was only a few months old and lost many. THey are doing far better now that the tank has aged to 7 months.

That is a REALLY nice Deresa. What a heavy blue rim.,Wow. It appears to be atleast 3 inches, thank GOD - Let me know how its doing in a couple of months please. Very curious since you run carbon and GFO.

Doesn't seem to have phased the maxima any. This species should be a bit more forgiving too.

ClownTriggerDude

Question.

Why can't you add a clam to anew tank if, you have cycled properly with no ammonia, nitrite, low nitrate, and PH, alk, calcium at correct levels ?

Why wait until it's "established" and what does that actually mean ?

Thank you,

Kevin

Cameron6796

To the poster above. I'm pretty sure no one even listens to that... Figuratively. How ,any tanks do you see where they have a clam and it's been running maybe 4 months... For me atleast its a lot. That is just a guideline to help you with stability since clams are a little to very touchy depending on the species you get. It's all about how rich your tank is with beneficial bacteria and things that help your tank stay clean and stable. Basically if your cycled and you have been running a few months without any problems you are probably ready. Just don't go buying 3 maxima or crocea clams maybe try something like a deresa or squamosa, since these seem to be easier to care for.

In my case my lfs never has any deresa they usually only carry Maxima clams which is alright because they are usually very healthy and over 2 inches. But I myself would wait several months before purchasing one.

Establishment is all figurative and no one can really measure it it's all about long term success and not "it lived for a month and a half" if you have no crashes, deaths, parameter problems that are too major, in roughly 3-5 months and most importantly the correct lighting, flow and other requirements to support this animal then you are ready.

Question.

Why can't you add a clam to anew tank if, you have cycled properly with no ammonia, nitrite, low nitrate, and PH, alk, calcium at correct levels ?

Thank you,

Kevin

To the poster above. I'm pretty sure no one even listens to that... Figuratively. How ,any tanks do you see where they have a clam and it's been running maybe 4 months... For me atleast its a lot. That is just a guideline to help you with stability since clams are a little to very touchy depending on the species you get. It's all about how rich your tank is with beneficial bacteria and things that help your tank stay clean and stable. Basically if your cycled and you have been running a few months without any problems you are probably ready. Just don't go buying 3 maxima or crocea clams maybe try something like a deresa or squamosa, since these seem to be easier to care for.

In my case my lfs never has any deresa they usually only carry Maxima clams which is alright because they are usually very healthy and over 2 inches. But I myself would wait several months before purchasing one.

Establishment is all figurative and no one can really measure it it's all about long term success and not "it lived for a month and a half" if you have no crashes, deaths, parameter problems that are too major, in roughly 3-5 months and most importantly the correct lighting, flow and other requirements to support this animal then you are ready.

Not entirely true but not entirely untrue either.

"Ready" can mean a lot of things. Your tank has cycled, no ammonia, nitrates, are you ready for a clam? Are you ready for a mandarin? Emphatically, NO. Do people still do it - yup.

A mature reef is not the same as a ready reef. Step 1 is letting it cycle but step 2 is SLOWLY ramping up the bio-load to enable the biological filtration to handle it, little by little.

A young tank (not to be confused with an uncycled tank) is not suited for either a clam or a mandarin. Clams like nutritious water along with great lighting. Mandarins need a heavy heavy population of pods. Both these things exist in a young tank but not to the proportions needed to sustain both these animals.

Clams like ammonia, nitrates, phosphates. If you were to introduce these 3 evils into a young tank, you would have a crap ton of problems. Being ready for a clam involves having a mature reef. A mature reef is not only a question of time, although time is a factor. Most tanks are started with a piece of live rock or an ammonia source. While bacterial colonies build fast, a complete biological profile of all the necessary bacteria takes time. A mature reef can handle reasonable amounts of ammonia, nitrates, phosphates as they occur in the life cycle.

I am sure there are folks that have kept clams successfully in young tanks. But just because you can drive without a seatbelt, does not mean that you should.

HTH.

Question.

Thank you,

Kevin

Jesus if you guys keep posting on this thread I'm going to have to start paying attention more. I already got yelled at when Angela asked me " How many people are on the registry?" and I said 63, but I haven't updated it in 6 months. LOL!

First thing said - what works for one doesn't work for all. Even a broken clock is correct twice daily.

I always say, If you mix up a new batch of Reef Crystals, heat it to 77 F, put a clam in there, and put it under Gods given natural sunlight - It will most likely be dead in 24 hours. If you used natural seawater it would be perfectly fine.

WHen people talk about water quality they usually only mention the boring basics we all know...yea, yea, yea...low nitrates, low phosphates..calcium, dkh..etc,, So if your tank has just finished cycling is it safe for high end Acroporas and Maxima clams ?

I wouldn't do it. SO I will keep this focused on clam and say the reason behind this is that books that told you all your clam needs is strong light, and don't need to be fed are, well, simply wrong.

Now this is where it gets fun because 100 people will throw stones at me for saying this and scream "Youre wrong I never feed my clams!! " Fact is clams need dissolved organic and inorganic nutrients to live, and without an ample amount of them all clams will die in one month. I should know, Ive lost hundreds. LOL.

It take a while for these dissolved nutrients to build up, and the better your skimmer works, and the more carbon you use, the longer it will take. If you run Ozone you will probably never get there without a bioload bigger then PEA's entire system. I believe a new tank should not get any water changes for the first 3 months, and after that you need to figure out your own routine that balances your nutrient input and output to the point where it can sustain clams. WHen you get there, you wont NEED to feed your clams. But I do anyway.

Bunny in the tub. Hugh Hefner much?

There is not a single heterosexual male on this planet that would not want to be in Heff's shoes at that age. NOT ONE! And If if they say they are they LIE.

Yea, youde rather be at home with the 75 year old wife. Get the F outa hereeeeeeeeee... LOL !!!

YOU MUST BE KIDDING MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?!?!?!?!?

ORA BLUE SQUAMOSAS ???????!!!!!!!!!!!

DANG! too bad they only made 4.

post-73763-0-61626700-1403791532_thumb.jpg

I agree that you should wait on adding a clam until things have truly hit an equilibrium. My tank has been fairly stable since setup, but I'm still working on trying to get alk, calc, and mag at a stable place. When those three vary just a bit out of line my coral growth slows down or like recently stopped. I have successfully stopped all STN on the acros(thankfully they are cheap) I have by getting these back in line. Now I need to get them to grow. Adding a clam in would only exacerbate the issue by sucking up all the calc and dropping my alk. I am also trying to get my nitrates in order. They vary between 10 and 20 ppm, which is a bit high it seems when alk varies causing STN. I'd like to maintain about 5 ppm. I am ordering a SAC-301 skimmer to help bring my nitrates down to a reasonable level since I feed everyday(have to for the scooter blenny which is fat and happy and I like fat happy fish). Once I have a steady system with healthy colonies of coral, then I can anticipate the load the clam will add to the system and be able to accommodate. Shelling out 100 bucks and then losing the clam because my system can't cope would seriously piss me off. Its no fun when any animal we keep dies and definitely not fun when an expensive one dies.

Archived