SaltCritters.com

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

jedimasterben

If you have smaller fish you like I wouldn't..... They tend to be chasers/ get hungry fast and a messy eaters.....

From everything I'm seeing on X. ringens is that they are model citizens, being planktivorous in the wild. According to something from DFS, there is another trigger that is also sold under the 'red tail' name and doesn't fit the mold that X. ringens does.

We'll see how it behaves, the one I got should be about 3-3.5" long, so unless he can eat something 1/3 his length then the gobies will be fine for a little while, he'll be saving them for later :lol:

Awesome...can't wait to see it in your tank! I wonder if someone here bought the other pack of 5 GBGs???? If so....they better speak up :D. We can all compare notes!

:lol:

Mine will probably be something like "Put into tank. So small I can't really see them in a big tank." lol

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From everything I'm seeing on X. ringens is that they are model citizens, being planktivorous in the wild. According to something from DFS, there is another trigger that is also sold under the 'red tail' name and doesn't fit the mold that X. ringens does.

We'll see how it behaves, the one I got should be about 3-3.5" long, so unless he can eat something 1/3 his length then the gobies will be fine for a little while, he'll be saving them for later :lol:

Mine was 4", didn't usually eat them just chased and slaughtered small fish and inverts. It was a X. Ringens tho. It came from Quality Marine which is basically LA/DFS and I did a ton of research on them before getting it ;)

I got my first scoly on Friday!!!!! It's as pretty as I expected..green and purple. It was kinda grumpy yesterday though. I don't think it traveled well. Had nothing to do with packaging as it was well packed. The water was pretty cold though even with the heat pack which may or may not have anything to do with it's grumpiness. Anyways, it was expelling a lot of stuff yesterday. It's probably going to bleach a bit. I have a shade on it to hopefully help out with the stress. But, here's a photo of it in the tank. I THINK I have enough space between the 3 meats now :).

IMG_8785_zpsa0ed40c7.jpg

so...about that green monti cap frag....people better be on the look out for your sale thread =P.

The green is still behaving. It's the purple I need to hack at still. See that right side where it's shading the Z and P rock? That's next on the list. But I have the frag rack with cuts I made a few days ago that I need to clear out first. I need to check what the weather is supposed to be next week. I'm a little nervous shipping these priority mail with cold weather now.

The green is still behaving. It's the purple I need to hack at still. See that right side where it's shading the Z and P rock? That's next on the list. But I have the frag rack with cuts I made a few days ago that I need to clear out first. I need to check what the weather is supposed to be next week. I'm a little nervous shipping these priority mail with cold weather now.

yea, i notice the big green monti frag on the frag rack. that's a very nice size one =). how did your monti experiment go??? maybe limit the buyer to the south?

yea, i notice the big green monti frag on the frag rack. that's a very nice size one =). how did your monti experiment go??? maybe limit the buyer to the south?

That's actually a reflection...not a frag :). That would be a pretty killer frag though :lol:.

I felt sorry for my experimental monti frag so I saved it and dropped it into the 8g tank, last week. It's doing great :).

I think I'll just give the option of priority or overnight with no guarantees on priority because of the cold weather.

LOL. that reflection totally got me fooled. i was thinking you can easily get $30-$50 for that frag....hahahaha

Maybe even more! The season's greetings goes for more money than the idaho grape, from the research I've done :).

The green is still behaving. It's the purple I need to hack at still. See that right side where it's shading the Z and P rock? That's next on the list. But I have the frag rack with cuts I made a few days ago that I need to clear out first.

Can you share the techniques and tools you used for cutting off frags of your grape montis? I may need to trim mine in the future but don't want to do a hack job on it..

Thats not space, thats room for more ;) LOL

Looks great! :)

Thanks, Chris :happy:.

Can you share the techniques and tools you used for cutting off frags of your grape montis? I may need to trim mine in the future but don't want to do a hack job on it..

I just use bone cutters that I got from Marine Depot. I end up with a lot of throw away pieces, but do get a few nice bigger pieces that I can sell or trade. Mine looks like a hack job, to be honest :lol:. But it recovers in a day or two :).

$$$ for more meat!

Sure...but where would I put more meat???? :lol:

Nothing else new for me until I get tired of something or something dies...two very plausible things that could happen :blush:.

TJs has a decent one......all we've had for the past couple of years is almond butter. I like the more roasty flavored ones.

I moved this here so I don't muck up Chris' thread :).

Picked up crunchy almond butter from TJs last night. Had it on crispbread this morning :wub:. My TJs only had one variety but it tastes roasty :). 16oz for $6.99. I can handle that :). I see why you gave up PB 2 years ago! This stuff tastes so much better.

In tank news.....

IMG_8788_zps9d8f5a12.jpg

IMG_8787_zps39e3e77a.jpg

scoly has stopped "puking" so I think it's going to be ok :).

Can't wait to get my 5 greenbanded gobies. I think they will add so much movement to this tank. Not so much swimming, but something to watch move in and around the rocks :).

Is your purple cap a major slimmer when you frag it- if I touch my green cap or barely move it the slim starts immediately?

Yep. It slimes for a bit afterwards. Not too long though :).

wait the min! what happened to your two plates??? I remember you said the orange one was receding. Did it not make it? And what happened to the green one?

The orange one is just a skeleton :(. I left it in just in case it might spawn some babies. The green isn't doing well either. I think my clams spit sand on them one too many times. Or else I fed them too much. I'm not sure who to blame :lol:.

here's the green one waiting to die too :(. I tried dipping them and it didn't help. The green is starting to lose flesh on top too.

IMG_8789_zps7426b387.jpg

I moved this here so I don't muck up Chris' thread :).

Mucking is fine I don't mind :)

Can't wait to get my 5 greenbanded gobies. I think they will add so much movement to this tank. Not so much swimming, but something to watch move in and around the rocks :).

That was a real good deal, hopefully when my tanks ready they will have some more and a few other things I would like... I wonder if they take requests LOL

The orange one is just a skeleton :(. I left it in just in case it might spawn some babies.

I've never done it but I've heard it is best to flip them over before they fully die to get them to sht off babies... true or not I dunno but the dude that told me that had a couple that he did it to and had a ton of babies. :wacko:

I didn't have luck w/ plates. Tried once, done. Sorry to hear yours are not doing well, they were doing so well for so long.

Really? That was one of my first corals and it's soooo easy to take care of! I must be lucky!

Mucking is fine I don't mind :)

That was a real good deal, hopefully when my tanks ready they will have some more and a few other things I would like... I wonder if they take requests LOL

I've never done it but I've heard it is best to flip them over before they fully die to get them to sht off babies... true or not I dunno but the dude that told me that had a couple that he did it to and had a ton of babies. :wacko:

He DOES take requests! I read that on his sale page :).

I guess I'll try flipping the plate upside down. Thanks for the suggestion :). Can't hurt to try.

I didn't have luck w/ plates. Tried once, done. Sorry to hear yours are not doing well, they were doing so well for so long.

Yeah, it's a bummer. I loved the green and orange together. They were happy for a long time. They started having issues when I moved the clams to the left side of the tank and they'd get sand blown on them a lot. It was either that or my over-feeding blackworms that did them in. I wouldn't be afraid to try again sometime. But their spot is now taken over by the cynarina and the scoly so it will have to wait awhile :).

oh GENA, i'm sorry about your plates

dying. :( i love your new scoly though! so pretty!

my plate coral which i've never seen actually

eat, seems to be doing well. same with my

one blasto, which closes like a mushroom

to eat sometimes. or just somehow wobbles

the food to its mouth. ha!

but my acans have lost their color (it was an

expensive rainbow doodah one too) and i

think my dragon soul favia, though still neon

green at center, isn't doing so well either? hmm.

who knows why one coral does well in one tank

and another not so much, etc. so weird.

The orange one is just a skeleton :(. I left it in just in case it might spawn some babies. The green isn't doing well either. I think my clams spit sand on them one too many times. Or else I fed them too much. I'm not sure who to blame :lol:.

here's the green one waiting to die too :(. I tried dipping them and it didn't help. The green is starting to lose flesh on top too.

sorry to hear about the plates...hope you get some more in the future, maybe a yellow or red one =)

oh GENA, i'm sorry about your plates

dying. :( i love your new scoly though! so pretty!

my plate coral which i've never seen actually

eat, seems to be doing well. same with my

one blasto, which closes like a mushroom

to eat sometimes. or just somehow wobbles

the food to its mouth. ha!

but my acans have lost their color (it was an

expensive rainbow doodah one too) and i

think my dragon soul favia, though still neon

green at center, isn't doing so well either? hmm.

who knows why one coral does well in one tank

and another not so much, etc. so weird.

Yeah, it's super frustrating when things decline/die and you don't know exactly why. Hopefully your acans and favia recover!!!!! I love that dragon soul...it's on my wish list.

sorry to hear about the plates...hope you get some more in the future, maybe a yellow or red one =)

Thanks! I want another orange..that's my favorite. Didn't know they came in yellow???? Solid or mixed with other colors?

I feel like I've been packaging coral all afternoon :lol:. Shipped off 6 orders of monticap today. It always takes longer to get them ready than I think it will. Made it to the post office before 5pm though :).

Tomorrow my greenbanded gobies arrive omgomgomg SOOOOOO excited to get them. I hope they travel well fingerscrossed.

Archived