Top Shelf Aquatics

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

Its ok, it is still a meat coral as well so nothing wrong with calling it that, just wanted to let ya know you have a couple nice pieces of meat in there ;)

Beautiful tank BTW :)

I'll probably still call it a meat coral LOL. Thanks, Chris!!!!

It's the time of day that the PSW gets really playful. Normally he comes up to me at the glass and dances, but he's camera shy :lol:.

You know...my tank is not loud. People always comment on how quiet it is. The camera must have a super sensitive microphone on it. It sounds unbearable in the video :lol:. I think most of that noise is the air purifier I have in the room.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how fish can tell what a camera is, and decided to get shy whenever it comes out...

Oh I know! The PSW and the mandarin always swim away when I bring the camera out. They must be more intelligent :).

It the tentacles touch one another they might sting. But Scoly's usually just put tentacles out the top. You will be fine with them right next to each other.

Kinda like this when they feed.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/IMG_1069.jpg.html'>IMG_1069.jpg

Acanthophillyas do more of this.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/IMG_1076.jpg.html'>IMG_1076.jpg

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/IMG_1070.jpg.html'>IMG_1070.jpg

And Welso's have smaller tentacles which usually stay around the mouth area.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/IMG_1073.jpg.html'>IMG_1073.jpg

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/IMG_1071.jpg.html'>IMG_1071.jpg

It the tentacles touch one another they might sting. But Scoly's usually just put tentacles out the top. You will be fine with them right next to each other.

Awesome, thanks!!!! I fed the donut-meat-button coral today :lol:. It looked just like that when it ate. I'm only going to feed it once a week...I'm done overfeeding LPS. I end up feeding them to death :blush:.

I don't feed mine much anymore every few months if there lucky lol

That's great! So I won't feel guilty only feeding them once a week :).

i can watch that tank for hours!

Thanks, ninja :flower:.

Hi Gena, just wanted to say "thanks" for the Idaho Grape monti cap frag that came in the mail today! I love the way it looks in your tank. Hopefully it will do as well in mine when it grows out.

NorthGaHillbilly

Yo Gena, be careful with any scoly,both of mine will put out filaments on a regular basis and work on anything they can reach. I've seen it in frag tanks several times, and many times on here. Up to this point my acanthophillias have been model citizesn.

Your Cynarina looks great! I'm looking for one to crisen the new tank :)

jedimasterben

Yo Gena, be careful with any scoly,both of mine will put out filaments on a regular basis and work on anything they can reach. I've seen it in frag tanks several times, and many times on here. Up to this point my acanthophillias have been model citizesn.

This. Check out Nano Sapiens' scoly hating on a ricordea :)

Woke up this morning to this:

ScollyAttack1091314_zps2de97abd.jpg

ScollyAttack2091314_zpsac246e51.jpg

'When Scollys Attack' seemed appropriate :) I've had the Scolly and the 'Shrooms in this configuration for over a month without issue, then one day 'BAM!!!'

The 'Shrooms are now recovering in a back corner and since they are quite tough, I expect them to recover.

Whoa, well at least we have coral acquisitions along the same lines as the coral woes :lol: I got a new green Cynarina in my PicO 20g ( really need to start its own thread) a week ago! Well, it was labeled as a Cynarina but I'm pretty sure it's an Indophyllia macarensis, looks just like the one that was on uniquecorals, but my LFS had a better price. They're really weird on what is priced great & what is overkill. Love the coral on yours! I almost took home red one the LFS had but it had a huge clump of bryopsis growing on the rock. No thanks!

Eeep, I hope the meds are working and your kitty gets her eyesight back. Beth is due for her bi-annual checkup at the end of the month so I'll ask about the blood pressure. She's 17 and seems to be going strong, but I know she has early stages of kidney failure.

I hope you get the anthias! Picspicspics.

Hi Gena, just wanted to say "thanks" for the Idaho Grape monti cap frag that came in the mail today! I love the way it looks in your tank. Hopefully it will do as well in mine when it grows out.

:happydance:

Thank YOU :).

Your Cynarina looks great! I'm looking for one to crisen the new tank :)

Thanks for the heads up!!!!! What's the farthest you've seen it reach?

This. Check out Nano Sapiens' scoly hating on a ricordea :)

I totally saw NS' post and forgot about it :lol:. Well, I made room in the tank today for the scoly. I THINK it will be enough space for it. I can do more rearranging if need be :).

Whoa, well at least we have coral acquisitions along the same lines as the coral woes :lol: I got a new green Cynarina in my PicO 20g ( really need to start its own thread) a week ago! Well, it was labeled as a Cynarina but I'm pretty sure it's an Indophyllia macarensis, looks just like the one that was on uniquecorals, but my LFS had a better price. They're really weird on what is priced great & what is overkill. Love the coral on yours! I almost took home red one the LFS had but it had a huge clump of bryopsis growing on the rock. No thanks!

Eeep, I hope the meds are working and your kitty gets her eyesight back. Beth is due for her bi-annual checkup at the end of the month so I'll ask about the blood pressure. She's 17 and seems to be going strong, but I know she has early stages of kidney failure.

I hope you get the anthias! Picspicspics.

Awesome...we are practically living parallel lives :lol:.

Her eyesight has improved but prognosis isn't good. She's stage 3 kidney disease or whatever they call it :(. Tuesday we go into the vet to learn how to inject fluids in her on a twice weekly basis (to start). I hope the injections will be easy to do fingerscrossed.

NorthGaHillbilly

I've seen mine reach out about 2", it was a chAlice that time :(

Hate to hear about for feline friend, it's really tough when they have been with you so long.

I don't read your cube thread often, Gena. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. At least she is getting her sight back. There are things that can be done to help make kitties with CKD (chronic kidney disease) more comfortable. The SQ (subcutaneous) fluids are one such thing. It is really variable how quickly the kidney disease progresses from cat to cat. The first few weeks to month or so will be telling to see how she reacts to treatments and how stable her kidney values remain.

There is a very excellent website for owners with information on CKD. It is the Feline CRF Information Center: http://www.felinecrf.com

Kidney issues and general age was my first thought about kitty because my husband had kidney issues and the center he went to was Mtn Kidney and Hypertension services.

I've seen mine reach out about 2", it was a chAlice that time :(

Hate to hear about for feline friend, it's really tough when they have been with you so long.

Ok, thanks!!!!! This sound like it will be tricky to keep in my crowded tank :lol:.

I don't read your cube thread often, Gena. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. At least she is getting her sight back. There are things that can be done to help make kitties with CKD (chronic kidney disease) more comfortable. The SQ (subcutaneous) fluids are one such thing. It is really variable how quickly the kidney disease progresses from cat to cat. The first few weeks to month or so will be telling to see how she reacts to treatments and how stable her kidney values remain.

There is a very excellent website for owners with information on CKD. It is the Feline CRF Information Center: http://www.felinecrf.com

Thanks so much for the link and info!!!! I read that she could last anywhere from a few months to a few years. Just taking it a day at a time. She still has spunk so that's good :). She's lived a long good life.

Kidney issues and general age was my first thought about kitty because my husband had kidney issues and the center he went to was Mtn Kidney and Hypertension services.

Yes, I agree :). She's old and this news isn't unexpected. The goal now is to just keep her as comfortable as possible until the end.

In happier news....took some photos this morning of the tank. The cynarina is GORGEOUS!!!!! I'm so glad Lawn told me to buy it LOL. It's my favorite piece. I've also made space for the new scoly to the right of the cynarina. Not sure it will be enough space...just have to wait and see :).

IMG_8767_zps9ac25b02.jpg

IMG_8768_zpsb77b754c.jpg

IMG_8766_zpsbdacf6bc.jpg

IMG_8765_zps6009d745.jpg

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Good luck with the injections and keeping her comfortable. Enjoy her :)

The color of that new coral is perfect in your tank. The whole color scheme is so pretty. I was trying to keep a color scheme in mind when I started planning but that went out the window quickly.

That cynarina really is the perfect addition to your tank Gena, and I hope Kitty can be comfortable as well.

Thanks Annette!!!! I'm really happy with the addition :). So far she's doing great :).

Your new one pushed me over the edge...

15123668454_315ba0185c_c.jpg

20141108_202723 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

omgomgomg LOVE it :).

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Good luck with the injections and keeping her comfortable. Enjoy her :)

The color of that new coral is perfect in your tank. The whole color scheme is so pretty. I was trying to keep a color scheme in mind when I started planning but that went out the window quickly.

Thank you :). She's getting tons of love from all of us :).

My color schemes in my tanks are always happy accidents :lol:. I don't really plan them, they just happen. Must be the artist in me or something :).

I'm thinking about ordering a green banded goby and a blue tuxedo urchin from Live Aquaria. They could be a birthday present to myself :lol:.

Wife wants Taco Bell for dinner :). Made me think of you :lol:

LOL

I haven't been there since August :).

Anyone else notice Live Aquaria is having issues? I have 2 greenbanded gobies and a blue tuxedo urchin in my cart but can't check out. I called them and they said they are having issues. As soon as they are fixed I'm buying :happydance:. Decided to wait on the sunburst anthias. I was staring at the tank today and realized I much prefer the little goby sized fish to big fish. I think 2 GB gobies will fit in perfectly :).

NorthGaHillbilly

LOL

I haven't been there since August :).

Anyone else notice Live Aquaria is having issues? I have 2 greenbanded gobies and a blue tuxedo urchin in my cart but can't check out. I called them and they said they are having issues. As soon as they are fixed I'm buying :happydance:. Decided to wait on the sunburst anthias. I was staring at the tank today and realized I much prefer the little goby sized fish to big fish. I think 2 GB gobies will fit in perfectly :).

That's my thing with fish, if you end up with large fish in a small tank it completely throws off the perspective. I've shown people pictures of my tank and most think it's much larger than it is, throw a few 3+ inch fish in there and you loose that IMO

Archived