Coral Vue Hydros

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you gonna get the wide reflectors for your light? :)

Well, I've thought about it. It's on my "maybe" list. What will it do for my tank? So far things are fine as is :).

I've given the tang more thought and I just can't do it :lol:. BUT.....I do want another fish. What about a sunburst anthias, aka Fathead. My marine fishes book says minimum 30g. I see LA says min 70g. Anyone with experience having them? I think it would like the darkness under the monticaps and feel pretty protected under there. Opinions for or against are welcomed :happy:.

jedimasterben

Well, I've thought about it. It's on my "maybe" list. What will it do for my tank? So far things are fine as is :).

It would get rid of the massive dropoff of PAR you've got in the middle of your monti caps. I see it in your pictures, the camera pics up the intensity difference, thankfully our eyes are more forgiving :)

I've given the tang more thought and I just can't do it :lol:. BUT.....I do want another fish. What about a sunburst anthias, aka Fathead. My marine fishes book says minimum 30g. I see LA says min 70g. Anyone with experience having them? I think it would like the darkness under the monticaps and feel pretty protected under there. Opinions for or against are welcomed :happy:.

Why can't you do the tang?

Anthias are fine. Liveaquaria doesn't think people understand bioload, so they just list that they need a big tank. Anthias need to be fed as many times per day as possible.

It would get rid of the massive dropoff of PAR you've got in the middle of your monti caps. I see it in your pictures, the camera pics up the intensity difference, thankfully our eyes are more forgiving :)

Why can't you do the tang?

Anthias are fine. Liveaquaria doesn't think people understand bioload, so they just list that they need a big tank. Anthias need to be fed as many times per day as possible.

I just have this sneaking suspicion that the tang would be a huge mistake. Nipping at the clams, fighting with other fish, swimming frantically around the tank in search of escape :lol:, etc. I'm just not convinced that 24" is enough to make it feel comfortable.

Ok, cool, thanks! I've seen them in smaller tanks and they don't do much swimming. Mostly lurking. But they are gorgeous!!!! Right now the sunburst anthias is my plan. Just have to find one :).

Getting ready to do my Friday waterchanges. But wanted to say that even though I thought I wanted a pink SPS in the group....this beautiful blue acro is REALLY winning my heart :wub:. That's a good thing too because I don't have to spend anymore money :lol:.

:wub:

101614blue_zpsaf1bc2ed.jpg

IMG_8645_zps2703a1b6.jpg

IMG_8646_zps7e382a77.jpg

It is a pretty blue.

Yeah, it really is :).

Did you see Shane is in Fury the new movie starring Brad Pitt :lol:

I think I did see that :). We've been watching TWD again from the beginning so I've been enjoying that ;).
Mr. Microscope

LOL! So glad I clicked on your thread tonight!

Snail stacking? (Mr. M will appreciate this photo..even if it's not crabs ;)).

IMG_8630_zpsb8c41b7a.jpg

That's the fighting conch, nerites, and banded trochus. That poor conch is always carrying so much weight :lol:. He's got a lot of weight on his shoulders :lol:.

Love it. Absolute win! Please add.

LOL! So glad I clicked on your thread tonight!Love it. Absolute win! Please add.

Glad you saw it :). I'll go add it to your thread!!!!

BTW...just ordered 30 more banded trochus snails :lol:. I'm going to put some in the 8g too :). I also couldn't resist adding in a coral this time. An alien eye chalice :wub:. it's for the 8g, I think. Not sure there's a spot for it in this tank.

Tank is still looking beautiful since the last time I seen it :D If you really like the tang I would say go for it. Mine hates anything new though, he was after my Mandy for a while because he was picking on "his" rocks. Eventually everything equaled out though.

This is in a 5ft tank though so I wouldnt add anything after it if you decide to add the tang

Tank is still looking beautiful since the last time I seen it :D If you really like the tang I would say go for it. Mine hates anything new though, he was after my Mandy for a while because he was picking on "his" rocks. Eventually everything equaled out though.

This is in a 5ft tank though so I wouldnt add anything after it if you decide to add the tang

Thank you :). I was just at my LFS today to get new live phyto and they had a yellow eye kole tang. I wasn't even tempted. I'm totally on the hunt for the sunburst anthias. I talked to the guy at that LFS and he said they get them occasionally. He had one and it did really well for him for a few years so that was reassuring for me. I'm going to go for it as soon as I can find one. I put myself on the email list for when they become available through Live Aquaria. I think I'd feel safer getting one from them as opposed to the LFS, but we'll see. My LFS down the street has amazing prices on fish so I may take a chance with him. I'm just afraid of parasites since I don't have QT tank.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :happy:. We're about to go watch some Walking Dead :lol:.

Getting ready to do my Friday waterchanges. But wanted to say that even though I thought I wanted a pink SPS in the group....this beautiful blue acro is REALLY winning my heart :wub:. That's a good thing too because I don't have to spend anymore money :lol:. :wub

IMG_8646_zps7e382a77.jpg[/url]

This shot is amazing - those caps are awesome. Nice blue Acro too?

Glad you saw it :). I'll go add it to your thread!!!!

BTW...just ordered 30 more banded trochus snails :lol:. I'm going to put some in the 8g too :). I also couldn't resist adding in a coral this time. An alien eye chalice :wub:. it's for the 8g, I think. Not sure there's a spot for it in this tank.

I just ordered some banded trochus too! My LFS didn't have any so it was just the nudge I needed to make another uniquecorals order :D

Mr. Microscope needs to get a referral fee :lol:

I've finally taken a liking to that show on season 2 and Carl is dying :(

We're in season 2 also. Getting to the end though. It's a re-watch for my husband and myself, but our son is watching for the first time. It's fun watching with him :lol:. I'm doing really well too with not giving any spoilers :D.

This shot is amazing - those caps are awesome. Nice blue Acro too

Thank you :flower:.

I just ordered some banded trochus too! My LFS didn't have any so it was just the nudge I needed to make another uniquecorals order :D

Mr. Microscope needs to get a referral fee :lol:

That would be awesome if stores did that for us. I've referred plenty of people to a few businesses. No one knew about VIP-reef, before I mentioned them in my thread. It was mine, and then jack's, little secret for awhile :lol:. I think he was mad when I gave it away :lol:.

Did you get anything else or just the trochus? They have a nice sale going that ends today. I think it's 20% off with the coupon code.

That would be awesome if stores did that for us. I've referred plenty of people to a few businesses. No one knew about VIP-reef, before I mentioned them in my thread. It was mine, and then jack's, little secret for awhile :lol:. I think he was mad when I gave it away :lol:.

Did you get anything else or just the trochus? They have a nice sale going that ends today. I think it's 20% off with the coupon code.

I snagged a scoly they've had for a while that I've been ogling, and of course I go & say I'm not getting any more blastos...& then I bought one. They had their stock frag of the black cherry in stock so I snagged one. Oh, and a little gold torch.

I keep meaning to make a VIP RFA order but haven't gotten around to it. I need to stop buying corals & such so maybe in the spring :lol:

I snagged a scoly they've had for a while that I've been ogling, and of course I go & say I'm not getting any more blastos...& then I bought one. They had their stock frag of the black cherry in stock so I snagged one. Oh, and a little gold torch.

I keep meaning to make a VIP RFA order but haven't gotten around to it. I need to stop buying corals & such so maybe in the spring :lol:

Because of the bleaching event in that area, they have very few right now. You'll have to wait longer for nems. He said they didn't anticipate the stock they'd need this summer, totally unexpected so I guess w/ me and Gena and others talking them up, they didn't have as many on hand as they want to this year. I believe I started buying mine in Jan - March last yr & I never looked back !!! :P:wub: God I love those things so much.

I keep saying that I want to stop ordering corals and then I nonchalantly go to UniqueCorals site and blam, another order is on the way. Not to mention they have a really cool Scoly, super unique coral, small, and currently 20% with their sale. Any advice on beginners keeping Scolys?

I keep saying that I want to stop ordering corals and then I nonchalantly go to UniqueCorals site and blam, another order is on the way. Not to mention they have a really cool Scoly, super unique coral, small, and currently 20% with their sale. Any advice on beginners keeping Scolys?

I've never had one. I imagine they are similar in care to the plate corals which I have experience with. Speaking of which, they've been pissy lately :(. And the orange is starting to recede at the mouth...WTH. I guess I'm having LPS issues.....whatever <_<. At least with plates, even after they die, little babies can form on them. I'll just leave the skeleton(s) in the tank, if it comes to that.

Speaking of death...the urchin died. No surprise there. I know that was a salinity issue. The tank I bought him from had low salinity. I checked it when I got home before my acclimation. It was at 1.018. I guarantee it wasn't acclimated at the LFS. So that's that. He was a slug from the get-go....poor thing. And in other death news I found one of my harlequin stars was half eaten on it's main body. Found it today. It probably died and was munched on. But what caused it to die? Reefing sucks sometimes :mellow:.

In happier news, she's at it again and the fish are loving it :happy:

http://s711.photobucket.com/user/genae1971/media/IMG_8655_zpseb84621f.jpg.html'>IMG_8655_zpseb84621f.jpg

http://s711.photobucket.com/user/genae1971/media/IMG_8662_zps0638a8e2.jpg.html'>IMG_8662_zps0638a8e2.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Sorry about all the death, but that pom pom looks awesome! What a fun little guy. Is it out a lot? I thought those things mostly hid.

Sorry about all the death, but that pom pom looks awesome! What a fun little guy. Is it out a lot? I thought those things mostly hid.

Thanks...when it rains it pours I guess. Let's hope this is the extent of it. The female is out more than the male. But she only comes all the way out like that when she's releasing her babies. But yeah, they mostly hide.

Going to RAP this weekend?

Not this year. I'm having a Halloween party on that Saturday :lol:. I'll be busy getting things ready for that. There's always Sunday I guess. But most likely not. It's a lot of fun though...I really enjoyed it last year :).

Sorry about your plates and the urchin. From what I've read, urchins are especially sensitive to acclimation issues. My ex-LFS temperature acclimates only. And every time I would ask them how to acclimate something, they would tell me to do the same. No surprise then that my first urchin was a slug when I got him as well. I was going to order one from KP Aquatics, but when I saw the urchin today at the unlovely LFS, I figured I'd take a chance. It had been there for a while, and seems to be active, so it has a chance I hope. At least the urchin death is explainable. I really hate the mystery deaths! Hopefully your plates turn around and thrive.

That pom pom crabby is so cute! :wub:

Archived