Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

Nano sapiens

I was feeding them big juicy black worms :lol:

Disclaimer: This is my opinion :)

Freshwater Blackworms are a great food to fatten up fish (I used them a lot for Killifish breeding), but I would only feed them occasionally to corals (if at all). Corals are adapted to feeding on nearly 100% saltwater organisms (the exception being a very small percentage of insects that fall into the water on the reef), not cold water worms from a very different environment.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks :). So what do you think is the culprit? I'm definitely going to start feeding frequent small meals. I'll stick with cyclopeeze. I was feeding them big juicy black worms :lol:. yeah...that's why I think that's the reason for the issues :lol:.

I forgot to mention I put in a request for a pincushion urchin at my LFS. I should get one this week. I want it to munch on the blasted razor caulerpa that's growing on the rocks.

Well for me, I'm blaming a new torch I got that then brown jellied on me, & then I foolishly tried to save it while keeping it in the main tank. It immediately pissed off the four of the blastos, with the single polyp white rim one and the diablos taking the biggest hit. The single polyp had it's mouth open in the "I'm dying" gape for almost a week, but it finally closed about 3 days ago (after I'd tossed the torch's carcass, did a big wc, & put some chemical media in to help combat the spike in my water params) & actually accepted a small piece of mysis when offered today. So I'm feeling cautiously optimistic it'll pull through. There's still a nasty bit of translucent/white discoloration all around its mouth though. I lost one of the diablo heads but the other three have recovered. Probably should've taken pics to document it but was feeling too discouraged at the time.

Yea, the blackworms probably weren't the best dietary choice, but I'll bet they loved you for them all the same :lol:. I mostly do mysis and spirulina brine shrimp, but want to try feeding the corals some of the Repashy gel food I have since there's so much of it.

Woohoo, new urchin! Went to the public aquarium last weekend and got to feed some of the big red and purple ones they had there. Kinda makes me want one but I think a 20g might be too small.

Good luck with the contest!

Your montis are huge, i thought mine was getting big but your really put mine to shame. Sorry about the missing fire fish, I hope he turns up.

Photos of the urchin when you get it, i love those little guys.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion :)

Freshwater Blackworms are a great food to fatten up fish (I used them a lot for Killifish breeding), but I would only feed them occasionally to corals (if at all). Corals are adapted to feeding on nearly 100% saltwater organisms (the exception being a very small percentage of insects that fall into the water on the reef), not cold water worms from a very different environment.

Yeah, I wondered about that being as they are FW worms. I've stopped feeding them to the corals just to be on the safe side. I'd stop feeding them altogether but my cardinal realllly likes them.

Well for me, I'm blaming a new torch I got that then brown jellied on me, & then I foolishly tried to save it while keeping it in the main tank. It immediately pissed off the four of the blastos, with the single polyp white rim one and the diablos taking the biggest hit. The single polyp had it's mouth open in the "I'm dying" gape for almost a week, but it finally closed about 3 days ago (after I'd tossed the torch's carcass, did a big wc, & put some chemical media in to help combat the spike in my water params) & actually accepted a small piece of mysis when offered today. So I'm feeling cautiously optimistic it'll pull through. There's still a nasty bit of translucent/white discoloration all around its mouth though. I lost one of the diablo heads but the other three have recovered. Probably should've taken pics to document it but was feeling too discouraged at the time.

Yea, the blackworms probably weren't the best dietary choice, but I'll bet they loved you for them all the same :lol:. I mostly do mysis and spirulina brine shrimp, but want to try feeding the corals some of the Repashy gel food I have since there's so much of it.

Woohoo, new urchin! Went to the public aquarium last weekend and got to feed some of the big red and purple ones they had there. Kinda makes me want one but I think a 20g might be too small.

Sorry to hear about the brown jelly! Thank goodness you didn't lose all the diablos!!!! I hope my red with blue face recovers. I've definitely lost one head. But the other is still hanging in. It's shriveled, but not losing any flesh. It is still gaping though.

I feel like such a fool having fed them the blackworms :lol:.

Good luck with the contest!

Your montis are huge, i thought mine was getting big but your really put mine to shame. Sorry about the missing fire fish, I hope he turns up.

Photos of the urchin when you get it, i love those little guys.

Thank you!!!!! So far no sign of the FF. I'm pretty sure he's a goner. I'll definitely take photos of the urchin if I get it :).

My son just called me into his room to see this website that he learned about in Health class today. Pretty neat to see.

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Yeah, I wondered about that being as they are FW worms. I've stopped feeding them to the corals just to be on the safe side. I'd stop feeding them altogether but my cardinal realllly likes them.

Sorry to hear about the brown jelly! Thank goodness you didn't lose all the diablos!!!! I hope my red with blue face recovers. I've definitely lost one head. But the other is still hanging in. It's shriveled, but not losing any flesh. It is still gaping though.

I feel like such a fool having fed them the blackworms :lol:.

My single polyp with the white rim gaped for days and was shriveled but not receding. Looks like it's going to make it so hopefully your red/blues will too! If it isn't receding I'd be optimistic.

My single polyp with the white rim gaped for days and was shriveled but not receding. Looks like it's going to make it so hopefully your red/blues will too! If it isn't receding I'd be optimistic.

As I'm looking more closely I may see some tissue loss on it :(. Ho hum.

New page new picture :happydance:.

The masked goby

IMG_8573_zps3337430b.jpg

Gena! I have missed so many of your updates :(, I'm going to have to catch up when I have time. From what I can see though, everything is looking great :D.

Gena! I have missed so many of your updates :(, I'm going to have to catch up when I have time. From what I can see though, everything is looking great :D.

Hi, Jase!!!! Everything is well except for some of my blastos. I think I fed them to death :lol:. I'm a noob when it comes to blastos...these are my first and I'm still learning :blush:.

Have a great weekend...saw on your thread that you have a fun one in store :).

Hi, Jase!!!! Everything is well except for some of my blastos. I think I fed them to death :lol:. I'm a noob when it comes to blastos...these are my first and I'm still learning :blush:.

Have a great weekend...saw on your thread that you have a fun one in store :).

Live and learn Gena, I haven't tried blastos either, I'm having enough problems keeping SPS alive at the moment haha.

You too :), it should be a nice long weekend. After working on Saturday and getting my sump online I am planning on going down the coast for some fishing for a few days :).

I fed the tank today, and it took alot of will power NOT to feed my blastos...

:lol:

I tend to overfeed everything I own and then have to put them on diets LOL.

I finally fed the remaining healthy buggers today. Just a little cyclopeeze. I'm just giving them that and I'll spot feed phyto to them. That should be enough.

Live and learn Gena, I haven't tried blastos either, I'm having enough problems keeping SPS alive at the moment haha.

You too :), it should be a nice long weekend. After working on Saturday and getting my sump online I am planning on going down the coast for some fishing for a few days :).

For sure...live and learn :). Fishing sounds fun!

I have been looking at ways to do blackworms without keeping them in the fridge, paul.b has a thread around somewhere that has his in a trough with moving water and just does small water changes every now and then looks like a promising system... I think I am going to add that to my list of live foods I plan to culture.

Seams like blackworms fed to saltwater is an oldschool reef keepers thing, but I am thinking there is something to it, as they are supposedly high in oils.

I have been looking at ways to do blackworms without keeping them in the fridge, paul.b has a thread around somewhere that has his in a trough with moving water and just does small water changes every now and then looks like a promising system... I think I am going to add that to my list of live foods I plan to culture.

Seams like blackworms fed to saltwater is an oldschool reef keepers thing, but I am thinking there is something to it, as they are supposedly high in oils.

Yeah, Paul B is where I got the idea from. I've seen him talk about it in Albert's thread, but he also has a thread on Reef Central. I keep mine in the refrigerator in a gladlock reusable container. I clean the water out in the morning and in the evening, before I feed the fish. I use R/O water for them. It's a pretty easy system. They do really well with that routine. Except you have to have worms in your fridge :wacko:.

My fish really love the BW. Especially the clowns and the cardinal fish. But they all will munch on them. All but the mandarin. He won't touch them :rolleyes:.

Yeah, Paul B is where I got the idea from. I've seen him talk about it in Albert's thread, but he also has a thread on Reef Central. I keep mine in the refrigerator in a gladlock reusable container. I clean the water out in the morning and in the evening, before I feed the fish. I use R/O water for them. It's a pretty easy system. They do really well with that routine. Except you have to have worms in your fridge :wacko:.

My fish really love the BW. Especially the clowns and the cardinal fish. But they all will munch on them. All but the mandarin. He won't touch them :rolleyes:.

wifey won't be havin worms in the fridge, I am not even going to bother asking or worse yet trying without permission.

wifey won't be havin worms in the fridge, I am not even going to bother asking or worse yet trying without permission.

:lol:

I grew up with worms in the fridge so I'm used to it. My dad and brothers went fishing all the time and kept the bait in the fridge :).

I didn't do that, I had the issue that the spines of the harder urchin put a hole in the bag so at lunch I took it home as there was dripping, and quick floated the bags and then came home 5 hrs later and emptied, that's it. That was my acclimation. Not done right but everyone is doing well. Can't wait to see pics.

I didn't do that, I had the issue that the spines of the harder urchin put a hole in the bag so at lunch I took it home as there was dripping, and quick floated the bags and then came home 5 hrs later and emptied, that's it. That was my acclimation. Not done right but everyone is doing well. Can't wait to see pics.

You really didn't have a choice! At least it worked out ok :).

Here he is in the tank. He's already collecting "junk".....so I named him Fred Sanford :lol:

meet Fred Sanford :)

IMG_8578_zpsdb90bbbf.jpg

You really didn't have a choice! At least it worked out ok :).

Here he is in the tank. He's already collecting "junk".....so I named him Fred Sanford :lol:

meet Fred Sanford :)

IMG_8578_zpsdb90bbbf.jpg

On my list of little dudes to acquire, I find them ammusing with all of their silly hats.

On my list of little dudes to acquire, I find them ammusing with all of their silly hats.

Yeah :lol:. I'm afraid to see what he's wearing in the morning! I have a few things that aren't glued down yet :scarry:

Yeah :lol:. I'm afraid to see what he's wearing in the morning! I have a few things that aren't glued down yet :scarry:

ha, it may end up being a "designer" hat.

Ha! Love it! Obviously I liked the show better as an adult.

I watched it as a kid and loved it and we're watching it now. We own the whole series on DVD :lol:.

ha, it may end up being a "designer" hat.

Eek :lol:. As long as he doesn't drop any designer accessories where I can't reach them :).

I watched it as a kid and loved it and we're watching it now. We own the whole series on DVD :lol:.

Eek :lol:. As long as he doesn't drop any designer accessories where I can't reach them :).

My only worry with them is if they would crawl up and clog my mame. I had a cerith do that the other week mame didn't fail but I had a ,wtf how did you even get there?, moment.

I love All in the Family, Archie was so hilarious and listening to what they brought up as social, political, religious, issues.....it's all still here, just a different year.

Archived