Cultivated Reef

Aqueon Evolve Master Thread.

dtitus1

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, gonna look real good, has anyone found a good way to clean the acrylic? I used a nano magnet scrapper but it doesn't do well an scratched part of my tank, I use a dog tooth brush now but to get the bottem I create a tidal wave

I use a small magfloat algae cleaner made for acrylic glass, i use this one on a regular bases. ( They also make them for glass tanks so make sure its the right one before you buy it, otherwise you risk getting a large scratch. ) For the corners of the tank I took an acrylic algae scrubber pad and rubber banded it to the handle of a small fish net. It gets the round corners and tight spots like a champ...and no tidal wave. (The pads you can buy in packs of five for like $4 about 2" x 4" in size, also make sure its rated for acrylic cleaning)

Another trick with the mag floats is you can open up an acrylic pad and use it as a sleeve on your mag float.

its probably a maxima, man im jellious

sweet tank, i plumbed my evo 4 and a spec 2 together, to use as a refugium

Thanks for the compliments!

what lights are on your tank? looks like the stock light, and another, whats the other one? hows the clam doing?

The clam is doing great, it has stayed open ever since I placed him in the tank. I love its bright blue coloration. I've read that they are light hungry so I placed him half way up the tank.

As far as lights, you are right. On the left I am running the stock led light but only for three hours a day. On the right I am running the 8W Skyye Light from Innovative Marine as the main source of lighting for day and nite. This little 8 watt lights is actually awesome and haven't had any problems growing softies or maintaining good tank temps. I also like the fact that the blue lights are on a separate driver so can be set on an independent timer.

The clam is doing great, it has stayed open ever since I placed him in the tank. I love its bright blue coloration. I've read that they are light hungry so I placed him half way up the tank.

As far as lights, you are right. On the left I am running the stock led light but only for three hours a day. On the right I am running the 8W Skyye Light from Innovative Marine as the main source of lighting for day and nite. This little 8 watt lights is actually awesome and haven't had any problems growing softies or maintaining good tank temps. I also like the fact that the blue lights are on a separate driver so can be set on an independent timer.

good i also know when they are small they love phytoplankton also, keep us updated on the clam, cause i want to get one at some point as well, and your tank is really well light, looks great

erinelainerobertson

I am excited to find this thread - glad it got pinned. We have had an 8g running since June 2012, and it is our first fish tank ever, so we still have lots to learn. We have had fish since January. I would like to eventually try some coral but want to get our algae problem in hand first. I have a pump cleaning question to start with.

It seemed the flow from the pump had really slowed down and it occurred to me that maybe the flow had been dialed down accidentally. I pulled the pump out (for the first time!) and found it filled with gunk.

P1030875.JPG

I cleaned it a bit with paper towel and toothpick but it still has some junk in it. Here it is a week later when I pulled it out for the next water change.

P1030927.JPG

I got a little more out of it this time but it is still not really clean.

How frequently should I be cleaning the pump? What method do you use? Can I safely scrub this with a toothbrush or something? I did a little searching and saw some advice to run pumps in vinegar now and then, but that seemed more about coralline algae and this stuff is soft. Does this crap in the pump suggest some obvious thing I am doing wrong?

Also, how much water do you remove when you do changes? I have been doing 1g.

Feel free to kick me back to the beginner thread and I will just lurk here on the side. Or, I welcome your kind and generous help. I have been trying to find a local mentor but no luck yet and our closest LFS just went out of business. In the good news department, our two fish have survived our entire experiment to date. Now I must go knock on wood.

Thanks,

Erin

I am excited to find this thread - glad it got pinned. We have had an 8g running since June 2012, and it is our first fish tank ever, so we still have lots to learn. We have had fish since January. I would like to eventually try some coral but want to get our algae problem in hand first. I have a pump cleaning question to start with.

It seemed the flow from the pump had really slowed down and it occurred to me that maybe the flow had been dialed down accidentally. I pulled the pump out (for the first time!) and found it filled with gunk.

P1030875.JPG

I cleaned it a bit with paper towel and toothpick but it still has some junk in it. Here it is a week later when I pulled it out for the next water change.

P1030927.JPG

How frequently should I be cleaning the pump? What method do you use? Can I safely scrub this with a toothbrush or something? I did a little searching and saw some advice to run pumps in vinegar now and then, but that seemed more about coralline algae and this stuff is soft. Does this crap in the pump suggest some obvious thing I am doing wrong?

Feel free to kick me back to the beginner thread and I will just lurk here on the side. Or, I welcome your kind and generous help. I have been trying to find a local mentor but no luck yet and our closest LFS just went out of business. In the good news department, our two fish have survived our entire experiment to date. Now I must go knock on wood.

Thanks,

Erin

glad you found us, and dont worry we wont kick you back, whats collected on the pump is perfectly normal, its stuff that isnt caught by the floss, it doesnt mean your doing anything wrong, i get the same build up, ive only cleaned my pump once in 10 months, but that was because i have a skimmer and a heater stuck in the same chamber, anyway the black part with the strainer comes off and feel free to use a tooth brush, just make sure it wasnt used for anything else, i use a dog toothbrush, its very useful. where are you from? you can try looking for local clubs, they are really helpful, and good job with your two fish, what are they?

Planning on picking up an upgrade pump for the evo8. Which do you all recommend? Leaning towards eheim or cobalt mj at the moment. I was going to use my sicce 1.0 and upgrade my 40b pump but the flow was insane on the little cube

I've always done mostly 2 gallons. I first take the water out of the back and put the siphon tube into the L shape as lots of crud comes up. and w/ each change I clean the walls and then also rinse out the pump and clean the output tube once a month. I found a big fluffy pipe cleaner works well, the one I use looks more like a boa, wire and fuzz- take the tube off completely and clean it out. I had so many pineapple sponges it restricted my flow greatly.

Planning on picking up an upgrade pump for the evo8. Which do you all recommend? Leaning towards eheim or cobalt mj at the moment. I was going to use my sicce 1.0 and upgrade my 40b pump but the flow was insane on the little cube

I have a RIO 800 pump upgrade and it works great.

P1030875.JPG

P1030927.JPG

Thanks,

Erin

check out the early pages of this thread there should be a link of performing the pump mod. This will show you how to slide off the cover of the pump, you can then remove the yellow selector dial and clean and remove the impeller if needed. You should be able to search aqueon evolve pump mod under youtube and find a video which may help to guide you a little better.

I take the pump apart and rinse everything out in a bucket of water from my water change and slap it back together. I clean the pump about once every 3 months. If you get that much build up in less than three months you may be overfeeding or providing too much light causing algae growth. Also look into the filter modification, this may help keep the algae and debris from getting to the pump compartment. Best of luck and welcome to the thread.

Just performed the mod on the stock pump for my evo4 and picked up a new marineland maxi jet 1200 that was made it Italy for my evo8. The mj1200 pushes around so much water in the 8 that I'm not going to need any other form of flow. These little rimless aio are making me want to go get a bigger rimless!

I have a RIO 800 pump upgrade and it works great.

++++ on the rio i have it on mine too and works just fine. Gives perfect amount of flow. And no problems to date with the Rio.

Can you add me & my 8 to the list? Heres a few pics

IMG_20130905_210952_zps03934977.jpg

IMG_20131002_161119_zpsdaef60ba.jpg

IMG_20131024_170548_zps9314a6de.jpg

IMG_20131027_195158_zps4543c02f.jpg

IMG_20131027_195210_zps75ebdf28.jpg

sorry about the phone pics.

Used to go on some of the other forums

But NR is the best by far!

Are your Rio 800s loud? I just went and bought one and its super noisy. If I hold it in my hand it's silent but as soon as I stick it to the bottom it's crazy loud. Any ideas? Like a rubber mat on the bottom or something? Thanks

Can you add me & my 8 to the list? Heres a few pics

IMG_20130905_210952_zps03934977.jpg

IMG_20131002_161119_zpsdaef60ba.jpg

IMG_20131024_170548_zps9314a6de.jpg

IMG_20131027_195158_zps4543c02f.jpg

IMG_20131027_195210_zps75ebdf28.jpg

sorry about the phone pics.

Used to go on some of the other forums

But NR is the best by far!

Need a link to your build thread.

Will do. Just realized i Didn't have one..doh! Upgrading the evolve 8 to my 15 gallon. gotta find some of my older pics. Thanks for having me along for the ride!

AquaticEngineer

I will jump on the wagon as soon as Mike comes up with 12x12 cube solution :)

He has one, just tell him to make it in 1/2" and you're set ;)

Anyone come up with an easy fix for surface skimming these tanks? When I had a JBJ nanocube they sold an attachment piece that fit over the grates to allow the water to flow over that then through the grates.

Any such thing easily available for these? Or am I going to just have to glue some scrap acrylic together and make one, lol,

so for the past week ive found my blue legged hermit under my yuma in morning, its been pretty cold, and i think he uses them as a blanket

Anyone come up with an easy fix for surface skimming these tanks? When I had a JBJ nanocube they sold an attachment piece that fit over the grates to allow the water to flow over that then through the grates.

Any such thing easily available for these? Or am I going to just have to glue some scrap acrylic together and make one, lol,

i just take my brine shrimp net to the surface every couple of days

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived