Top Shelf Aquatics

Aqueon Evolve Master Thread.

dtitus1

famousdan314
Modded my back chambers this weekend! Drilled out the bottom of the first two chambers and added a media tray. On my tank the 9 wide diy media tray didn't work. The channels for the stock filter got into the way. I modified it to work but I am going to make another with the supports on the long sides versus the end. I know there is flow but when looking into the rear channel I feel like there isn't enough, the water in the right chamber just doesn't have the movement I would like to see. I do think this mod is going to make an ATO more of an option. The water level is the same throughout the tank.

A couple of us ran into this issue, you just cut out the center squares of the egg crate along the sides where the filter slots get in the way.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just an update on the skimmer, i had to modify the design a little, but the redesign is better and will work better, and i finally got the intake and output equil, so it wont over flow. so now im just double checking seals and for leaks, so hopefully we will see how well it skims sometime in the next week.

i would really like to add acans and a clam to my tank, though i dont think my light is ok clams though :( how is everyones tank? i recently got a rotating deflector, and its awesome, i wish i had one when i first started.

i have an evo 4 so its like 2 or 3 gallons, ive seen them in small tanks, not sure for how long though, i probibly wont get one, just a dream

I placed the stock nozzle back on which seemed to focus the flow and slow it down a bit, with the RIO 800 it came with a quarter turn control valve attachment so I can actually adjust or gate down the flow. I may just end up removing the power head that takes up space so its more visually appealing.

How is the Rio800 working out for you? Does it fit in the back chamber well? I have two stock pumps in my tank and they are getting noisier every day. I want to upgrade to a stronger pump to flow both my return nozzles, if I can find a "Y" small enough.

Are you using all the stock components and just swapping out the pump?

• 2 weeks later...

How is the Rio800 working out for you? Does it fit in the back chamber well? I have two stock pumps in my tank and they are getting noisier every day. I want to upgrade to a stronger pump to flow both my return nozzles, if I can find a "Y" small enough. Are you using all the stock components and just swapping out the pump?

The Rio 800 pump is working great, I actually recently placed the original in also. So now I am running two pumps the rio and the stock pump with the mod. I used a fluval edge nozzle that slips on the chamber/tank divider to avoid drilling the sump. I have awesome flow now.

a short clip

Really nice- I decided on filling my tank w/ frags whereas you have choice pieces highlighting the reef and your fish look very happy. A great example of how you can go so many different ways with this little tank. (of course I'm upgrading soon due to my addiction for buying frags).

How is the Rio800 working out for you? Does it fit in the back chamber well? I have two stock pumps in my tank and they are getting noisier every day. I want to upgrade to a stronger pump to flow both my return nozzles, if I can find a "Y" small enough. Are you using all the stock components and just swapping out the pump?

Sorry realized i didnt answer your question. The rio 800 fits perfectly in the back chamber. I purchased a small piece of tubing and connected to the stock 90 degree elbow. The nozzle was upgraded to a larger flare nozzle for added flow. I also have a small sponge on the bottom of the pump instead of suction cupped so that it reduces noise/vibration from the pump making it nearly silent. Make sure to also clean your pumps regularly to keep good flow and the impeller working smooth.

great tank, i gotta get my flat worms under control. maybe ill have a tank that looks that good.

Thanks for the compliments, I just started having some bubble algae break out, however I recently got rid of my emerald crab about 3 weeks ago. Any suggestions for getting bubble algae under control? I added a couple extra reef hermits crabs but don't think they eat bubble algae. The bubbles are small and the area is confined to a 3" x 3" area and slowly spreading.

getting rid of the emerald crab might have had something to do with it, if the area is easy to take out of the tank id say remove what its on and try and take as much bubble algae as you can

Tanks are looking good guys! I like how I started this thread but took down my evolve 4 but guess what? I'm resurrecting it and learning from my mistakes the last time.

I'll have pics for all my build threads since I've been super slacking on them and haven't added basically anything since I've gotten my 40 breeder running but here's what I'm doing off the bat for the 4.

Tonight I got a new lid cut out of glass at lowes, and I'm using this with some vinyl backing from my breeders glass lid that I had from cutting out a spot for my skimmer which turned out to be exactly the right size for the Evolve 4, talk about lucky. I also picked up one of the little tabs for the Aqueon Versa tops so I can take it off more easily.

This time I'm also Widening the gap between chamber one and chamber two, I think some of you on here have done this and thats one thing I definitely regret not doing the first time. I'm also cutting acrylic strips to glue on the bottom of the front and back over that stupid gap so that water cant get underneath, because that was a huge problem the last time too.

Lighting is going to be an evolve 8 light and I think I might add a trulumen blue led moonlight to get a better spectrum and a bit more punch.

Tank might only be used temporarily to house extra snails I'm giving to my GF and QT some small fish I want to add to my breeder (neon goby, baby green chromis, and a barnacle blenny) but who am I kidding I'll probably end up keeping it running since I have a ton of extra zoas and will probably add some mushrooms, rics, and a kenya tree or something, maybe an acan colony and duncans but just a very minimalist, cheap tank with some inverts.

Only thing I still haven't solved is a heater that will fit in one of the rear chambers but I'll start a thread once I get things going and I'll update the first page of this one a bit.

I'm definitely starting it off as a glorified QT tank, I think if the power draw isn't too bad which I doubt it will be I'll keep it up and running. Only thing that's stopped me from doing it so far but the time has come. Just gotta figure out what rocks to take out of my main tank but I'm thinking like bare bottom with about a 2 pound rock to start off.

i do have to say i love my little evolve, only down size is how coral i can put into it, im so into it now that im building equipment just for it. anyway, good luck with the evolve again

I still haven't decided how I'm using the AC70 in my next tank, the 20gallon long. Because I also bought a mini skimmer, so I don't know if I'm doing a sump, or sump and refugium and using the AC70 there? I have no idea but I have 2 mos to figure it out. I could use the AC70 for the floss and chemipure elite and still have a hose of some kind in and out back up to the main tank (w/o drilling) and put macros in the 10 gallon.? who knows. I just grew this little tank fragtastically and have no room to grow out. It's addicting but I need to allow for beautiful growth. I have to slap my own hand.

don't underestimate how much coral you can put in the 8. I counted 35 different corals and a rock flower. 6 sps, 1 nps, 5 zoas, Duncan, 6 rics, Rainbow Palys, rhodactis mushroom (2) not counting the dividing the one did, brain coral, gsp, 5 acans, red shroom, blue shroom, blue/green stripe shroom. I have no willpower against this.

You could very easily just use the AC70 either on the sump or display for some floss and chemical filtration. On my tank I'm still using my ac70 to run floss, purigen, and seagel in conjuncture with my skimmer and I'm seeing good results so far using them in tandem. If you're doing a fuge in the sump though I would probably put it on the display so you can max out your pod production.

You could very easily just use the AC70 either on the sump or display for some floss and chemical filtration. On my tank I'm still using my ac70 to run floss, purigen, and seagel in conjuncture with my skimmer and I'm seeing good results so far using them in tandem. If you're doing a fuge in the sump though I would probably put it on the display so you can max out your pod production.

Don't know that I want to max out pods, I got a 6line to eradicate my amphipods because they ruined my Aquascapers cool blue and violet vices. The Green People Eater is trying to make a comeback at least. The others couldn't.

I also love my new evolve 8, I haven't upgraded my pump yet I'm still deciding which to use I have made a mod on the first chamber, I used a hot screwdriver and melted 3/8 round holes in the floor of the chamber. I don't run to much media just some rubble, chemipure, or just GFO, and a filter floss pad I change out every wee when I do my weekly 1gal water change. Here is a pic of the mod.

null_zps4a4ebc95.jpg

Hereis how I did it

null_zps664577d3.jpg

Here is the tank now I just turned the light back on so everything is not open fully

null_zps1c09d669.jpg

streamline.by.design

Definitely worth the beers drank and time invested. I am working on brainstorming a scape for my new Evolve 8 and you just struck some inspiration up.

That's a great idea. My drill barely fit back there.

Do pods really take corals out? I've had an explosion in my tank over the last week. Thousands, everywhere I look - glass, walls, live rock, corals and even the sand bed looks like its moving! I haven't noticed anything but a zoa closed from time to time.

My cynobacteria problem seems to be gone. That Kent's OA with a few w/c's really did the trick.

There are certain amphipods that are predatory towards corals which is a good reason to bayer dip your frags but normal run of the mill copepods are fine as long as you have a fish to nibble on them.

my copepods had an explosion like every 3 wks, amphipods I don't know but the ones I had got bigger and they bred and I turned on the little red light and 3 hugs suckers digging out the centers of my zoas. Then they started in on my watermelons. For some reason they weren't drawn to them until I bought the more expensive gorgeous zoas. They'd hide under the frag plug, and when lights out came, they had a buffet. My tailspot can't eat the amphipods but my 6 line will. Hooray. I feed my corals once weekly so there's always a little food spilling over which feeds them. I haven't seen an explosion of copepods lately and it's the first time that's not happened since I've had the tank since February.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived