Cultivated Reef

Aqueon Evolve Master Thread.

dtitus1

Same. One reason I'm really hoping this pump quiets down! Very nice to have a box of ocean to wake up and go to bed to though, we'll worth it.

Anyone here dosing Kent's 2 part nano or something similar? I'm going to test my main params after the next WC and see if I see a drop or fluctuation in anything throughout the week.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same. One reason I'm really hoping this pump quiets down! Very nice to have a box of ocean to wake up and go to bed to though, we'll worth it.

Anyone here dosing Kent's 2 part nano or something similar? I'm going to test my main params after the next WC and see if I see a drop or fluctuation in anything throughout the week.

Yes I dose with Kent's Part A & B usually every other day when I do top offs and water changes. Has been working well. I notice my corals really like the trace elements from Part A.

No body knows an upgrade for the pump? I guess a bigger hydor pico pump will work, I had to do some jimmying to get the connector to fit the last time so I'm wondering if a bigger one will have that problem.

Yeah we mentioned a Rio 800 pump. The connection is made by using a 1\2 inch tubing as a sleeve onto the 1\4 inch tubing. Pretty simple mod.

no idea, havent seen it before, bet its expensive,

i got a new coral today one of my lfs runs a fishy trivia every week where they ask an aquatic question and pic someone from the right answers for a 25 dollar gift certificate, and i won, so i was able to get my hands on a favia coral, and it looked really nice

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/tetraodon1/media/IMAG0980_zps0c2d69e9.jpg.html'>IMAG0980_zps0c2d69e9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
paradizecityz

Hey guys, I'm new here and just wanted to add in that I have the Aqueon Evolve 8...got it about a month ago and I plan on turning it into a Saltwater Coral Only tank....Already have Live Rock and sand and just added my CuC 2 days ago...I'm using the Beamswork LED lighting and I'm just new to all this...Definitely gonna do the filter mod soon but I'm slowing setting everything up. Is there something specific I need to add to the tank to feed the corals?

I had the Rio Plus 800 on but it seemed too powerful so I'm back to the stock modded pump. I see some that has the same pump but how is yours setup? Mine is a little different because it didn't come with different parts, it came setup as follow:

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Plus-Venturi-Water-Aquarium/dp/B000YMGL2A/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_3

Did I buy the wrong one? Because it would suck cuz I can't return the pump :(

If you bought the pump and can't return it I'd just use it. It shouldn't be too much flow. Have you tried different nozzle positions? I found if I angle the nozzle up towards the water's surface it cuts down on movement in the tank - also keeping the surface clear.

Up and straight forward makes for a more random flow and cuts back as its "bouncing" off the front display. I prefer slightly up and to the right as it directs debris towards the filter intake.

When the tank is "empty" - free of coral - the flow can seem stronger than it really is. I was worried about the same thing as my E8 is mostly zoanthids. They can handle more flow than you think. Polyps just don't seem to extend as high but will still fully open. That's been my experience at least.

I hope that helps you some. If it does turn out to be to strong I'm sure someone here will help you think of a way to restrict it somewhat.

paradizecityz

Thanks, I did try different position but end up didn't like it so I'm back to the stock pump. Maybe I will try to sell the Rio 800 but I don't know yet.

• 2 weeks later...

what lights are on your tank? looks like the stock light, and another, whats the other one? hows the clam doing?

Just a quick pic/update on how my blue maxima clam is doing. She is beautiful, by far one of my favorite things to look at in my tank. I took this picture with the lid off and the pump off. I found that when you view it through the glass the clam looks all blue and doesn't show the natural green and teal colors.

IMAG0188.jpg

Anyone still ever figured out a good replacement pump other than maxi-jets?

not sure if you've read back a few pages but we had mentioned the RIO-800 works great. i think its great flow and it comes with a flow quarter turn valve to adjust the flow down a little. I love having a ton of flow so I didn't even add the control valve.

I got an aqueon 8 for Xmas and am excited to set it up considering I have been out of the hobby for about 4 years or so. I think I going to customize the filtration system in the back but haven't decided what that will entail yet.

What light system would guys recommend for sps? I think I want to do a coral/invert only tank.

paradizecityz

Is there any specific way you guys are doing water changes? I have some corals towards the top and when I drain the water to usual point, some corals could be exposed to air, but definitely not for long...is this a problem?

Is there any specific way you guys are doing water changes? I have some corals towards the top and when I drain the water to usual point, some corals could be exposed to air, but definitely not for long...is this a problem?

ive never had an issue, i have a small rack just under the surface and it gets exposed totaly for a short while

Just a quick pic/update on how my blue maxima clam is doing. She is beautiful, by far one of my favorite things to look at in my tank. I took this picture with the lid off and the pump off. I found that when you view it through the glass the clam looks all blue and doesn't show the natural green and teal colors.

IMAG0188.jpg

so i decided to buy a clam, a website called cultivated reef has nano clams for 40 plus 19 dollar shipping for my area, so i might as well try it,

DId they ever improve the acrylic on these tanks to make them more scratch resistant? Has anybody had any experiences with them not scratching?

DId they ever improve the acrylic on these tanks to make them more scratch resistant? Has anybody had any experiences with them not scratching?

Mine is scratched all to hell ..thanks to two little fishes algae scraper .. don't know if I had a defective one but that's why I am upgrading to my new tank back to glass. I think I'm going to try novus to remove the scratches and save the tank

Mine is scratched all to hell ..thanks to two little fishes algae scraper .. don't know if I had a defective one but that's why I am upgrading to my new tank back to glass. I think I'm going to try novus to remove the scratches and save the tank

Oh man not good to hear. I just ordered one of these, but I am thinking that the Fluval might be the way to go then. When did you buy yours?

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived