Top Shelf Aquatics

Aqueon Evolve Master Thread.

dtitus1

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
famousdan314

So today I drove out to the Cadlights aquarium warehouse in Ontario, CA. They have an awesome selection of tanks. I am pretty sure I'll be upgrading to their newly released 34 gallon AIO all starphire glass aquarium. Hopefully more scratch resistant. I only have two very small scratches but it kills me when I see them.

paradizecityz

Definitely a fun tank to mess around with but I am upgrading to a little bigger tank....Getting the IM Nuvo 30...now gotta find a buyer for this AE8! :P

Definitely a fun tank to mess around with but I am upgrading to a little bigger tank....Getting the IM Nuvo 30...now gotta find a buyer for this AE8! :P

It seems everyone ends up upgrading to a 30 gallon. I'm building a JBJ 30 rimless. A week before I bought the JBJ I bought a nuvo 30 for $60 fixed it up and sold it for some profit. Good luck with your larger reef tank.

I am going to drill my tank today, but have some questions about plumbing. I want to create two larger holes on the right side of the black tank/compartment divider so I can have two flow nozzles. I will either have two pumps or one larger pump and a Y fitting.

Where do you guys get the pump pieces like nozzles, elbows and the little piece that slides into the hole for the nozzle? What size should the holes be? And how do you install the hydor spinning thing into a set up like this? Thanks hombres.

I am going to drill my tank today, but have some questions about plumbing. I want to create two larger holes on the right side of the black tank/compartment divider so I can have two flow nozzles. I will either have two pumps or one larger pump and a Y fitting.

Where do you guys get the pump pieces like nozzles, elbows and the little piece that slides into the hole for the nozzle? What size should the holes be? And how do you install the hydor spinning thing into a set up like this? Thanks hombres.

My local fish stores carries adapters and plumbing pieces for sumps and sui tanks. Depending on your pump upgrade your looking at either a 1/2" or 3/8" hole. The new pump should say what size the output is. The IM spin stream comes with a couple of different adapters.

Well fellas, after a day of pondering getting back into the hobby and deciding what to get I picked up an evolve 8 at petco earlier! Still deciding what I want to do for lighting, chamber setups, and flow modifications, but I know I don't want to spend the entire tank cost to be more than $250 from the get go (not including other supplies such as salt, heater, etc.). Any advice on the "Must have" mods of this tank? I sifted through these pages over the last 4 hours and needless to say it made me slightly more confused on where to take my approach :happy:

Well fellas, after a day of pondering getting back into the hobby and deciding what to get I picked up an evolve 8 at petco earlier! Still deciding what I want to do for lighting, chamber setups, and flow modifications, but I know I don't want to spend the entire tank cost to be more than $250 from the get go (not including other supplies such as salt, heater, etc.). Any advice on the "Must have" mods of this tank? I sifted through these pages over the last 4 hours and needless to say it made me slightly more confused on where to take my approach :happy:

the only mod i did to my evo was plumb a fuge and make my own filter cartrages :)

I suppose my major questions before I actually decide to set it all up entails

A. What would be the cheapest next step up in regards to lighting to where housing softies/mild LPS wouldn't pose too much of an issue?

B. The most efficient mods on a budget (such as making it into three chambers, drilling, etc. and tetra's idea of filter cartridges)

C. Will roughly 10 pounds of live rock/sand be able to sustain the bioload of three fish? (Specifically 2 clowns and some type of sand sifter)

Just want to say you guys rock btw, I love coming back into the hobby and the hard work and dedication of so many of you make me feel even more motivated to get back to my own little piece of ocean B)

I suppose my major questions before I actually decide to set it all up entails

A. What would be the cheapest next step up in regards to lighting to where housing softies/mild LPS wouldn't pose too much of an issue?

B. The most efficient mods on a budget (such as making it into three chambers, drilling, etc. and tetra's idea of filter cartridges)

C. Will roughly 10 pounds of live rock/sand be able to sustain the bioload of three fish? (Specifically 2 clowns and some type of sand sifter)

Just want to say you guys rock btw, I love coming back into the hobby and the hard work and dedication of so many of you make me feel even more motivated to get back to my own little piece of ocean B)

1 i use a wave point 6 inch 8 watt with white and blue, got it on amazong for 40, and my coral love it for the most part,

2 i plumbed two tanks together and made my own cartrages, mods are realy up to you

3 what sand sifter where you thinking of?

Was thinking perhaps a smaller type of goby, just because I love their behavior and the amusement they bring to the tank, and what type of corals so you have?

heres a video of my tank, id be carful with the sand sifter just cause they can strip all the life you want from the sand bed

that vid is 4 months old and everything has grown alot

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running my Evo 8 pretty much stock with 6lbs of rock some paly's, pulsing xenia, a hammer and an oscilerus clown since about September. The only change I have made is purchasing a Beamswork Reef Ultra-bright light fixture. Since getting it a month ago, I have seen awesome growth. I am running Carbon filter cartridges, but went with the Petco Brand rather than the Aqueon for Cost. I will be switching to filter floss and chemipure elite shortly. Make sure to do the pump mod and to clean your pump regularly. Just added a Favia and Acan yesterday. Just remember, to be patient, take it slow (hardest dang thing) , and invest in a test kit if you aren't close to an LFS that does water testing with a good test kit (not strips).

Could someone add my tank to the Evo 8's as well? Build link is in the sig!

• 1 month later...
famousdan314

My AE8 is officially torn down. I am debating to set it up as a display refugium for my JBJ 30 any ideas of the best way to go about doing this? If I don't end up using it as a refugium, I will either set it up as a simple quarantine tank or just leave it in my garage for when its needed.

My AE8 is officially torn down. I am debating to set it up as a display refugium for my JBJ 30 any ideas of the best way to go about doing this? If I don't end up using it as a refugium, I will either set it up as a simple quarantine tank or just leave it in my garage for when its needed.

i plumbed my evo 4 and spec 2 together, works great, plus a fuge is really benificial

famousdan314
i plumbed my evo 4 and spec 2 together, works great, plus a fuge is really benificial

What does your plumbing look like. And do you have any fail safes to keep it from over flowing?

What does your plumbing look like. And do you have any fail safes to keep it from over flowing?

i have a pump in the spec thats connected to a "u" pipe that dumps into the evo 4 rear chamber, and i have 2 "u" pipes that use suction to pull water from the evo to the spec, ive had a few incidents, like a snail crawling up the tube, but never had a flood, as long as the pipes that arent connected to a pump dont loose suction, it wont over flow. they work like a straw, as soon as the pump stops so does the flow.

I no longer have my 4 or 8 however I made sure to trade em both to a buddy of mine and they're both still up and running which I'm pretty proud of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I've just started an Aqueon 8 build and am having some trouble. I've now figured out that the pump itself is not what's creating the noise. It only creates a ton of rumble noise when it's in the back chamber. I'm stuck as to how and go about getting rid of this problem. I've tried to put sponges around it with extremely minimal noise reduction. It's like the walls of the chamber and tank are not fully stable. Anyone else had this issue or have an idea on how to fix it.

Hi guys I've just started an Aqueon 8 build and am having some trouble. I've now figured out that the pump itself is not what's creating the noise. It only creates a ton of rumble noise when it's in the back chamber. I'm stuck as to how and go about getting rid of this problem. I've tried to put sponges around it with extremely minimal noise reduction. It's like the walls of the chamber and tank are not fully stable. Anyone else had this issue or have an idea on how to fix it.

Try and sit the pump on some filter floss and make sure its not touching the side walls

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived