Coral Vue Hydros

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

Thank you. I know, right! After reading all about how it's impossible and extremely difficult to keep them. I got lucky and picked out one that was eating frozen foods when I bought him. I think that's the key.

Mine was a semi impulse buy, I'd kind of gotten into saltwater so I could have a mandarin so imagine my surprise when I discovered that they were ridiculously hard to keep in anything under 100g that didn't have thousands of pods. But one day at my lfs they had these nice big fat mandarins and I said screw it, I'm determined to keep one, and keep it healthily too. So I bought every small fish food known to man and the mandarin and embarked on the sometimes frustrating, but always interesting journey of keeping him fat and healthy. So far so good

• Like 1

I have officially gotten both my male and female mandarins to take frozen. They eat frozen brine and Mysis. They gotten to the point where they steal the Mysis from my acans and trumpet coral lol. Its so funny watching them stalk the food. Even with ny anthias my mandarins are getting even food. I get so happy seeing them eat. #happymandarinowner

• Like 1

It's online though, listed as 2-3 inch minimum. Hopefully it's not the size of a salmon. :lol:

And if he is smaller than Bella (who is 2 inches) then we will have a fight.

Even if he comes in at the same size as Bella you might still have a problem with them fighting, from what I've read, the male needs to be larger by a good percentage in order for the female to accept him. Ferdinand and Tangerine have an inch and a half , two inch difference between them. I've never seen her go after him. Maybe your lfs can order you in a large male?

Too late, I ordered, description said large male, larger than 2-3 inches. I'll have to see what he looks like when I get him. I chased Bella around with a ruler and the best I could come up with a 2 inch fish so fingers crossed that the new guy is a salmon.

• Like 2

Too late, I ordered, description said large male, larger than 2-3 inches. I'll have to see what he looks like when I get him. I chased Bella around with a ruler and the best I could come up with a 2 inch fish so fingers crossed that the new guy is a salmon.

Well congratulations :) I can't wait to see a picture of him when he arrives. Here's hoping Bella likes him.

• Like 1

YAY! More mandy's! I just ordered a tiny red female. Said 0.75 to 1 inch. I hope she is tiny so she don't beat up my blue boy!

• Like 2

Oh I bet you got yours on bluezoo too huh :) So glad they sex mandy's. You should email them with a note saying SEND ME THE BIGGEST MONSTER SIZED MANDY you have!

I'll just call them tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

What if it is a salmon!

• Like 1

Hopefully he is cute. My Draco was a looker. Sigh.

This is only my second time ordering fish online. I get really stressed seeing them in a bag then in a box. :blush:

I'm sure when he looks at you with those googly mandy eyes and hovers around, you will fall in love :)

• Like 1

YAY!

Flooding in Colorado is causing delays and disruptions.

I hope mine make it through.. its past delivery time... :tears: :tears: :tears:

Oh god.. yup.. it was delayed but it DID make it to my city. I called and they told me they would call back when it is ready to be picked up (about 2 hours they said). Hold on lil fishies :(

• Like 1

Well I went and picked up my fish.. about 3 hours late but they are all alive! My tiny tiny red female is skinnier than I would have liked.

Did yours arrive in good health Kat?

• Like 1

Since he's as big as a salmon, I'm calling him Sam. :lol:

Bella already checked him out, and is currently showing him around the tank.

20130919_110947.jpg

Is Sam really bigger than your clowns???