Cultivated Reef

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

There's something wrong with Tangerine, she's in full color, but since yesterday afternoon has been sitting at the front of the tank not moving much. She's not breathing heavily and shes alert, she's just, well, sitting. She'll move from one spot to another occasionally but for the most part she just sits. Edit: I knew I shouldn't have told people she was fat and healthy, I jinxed myself.

I hope she recovers. :(

crazyfishgirl

I hope she recovers. :(

I hope so too, but it doesn't look good, she hasn't eaten in 3/4 days and that ridge line along her body has shown up again so she's getting skinnier and skinnier. She absolutely refuses to eat, I shower her head with food and all she does is move out of the way.

So Tangerine is more active now, swimming around the front of the tank, around the rocks in the front and up the glass. Still not eating that I can see but that ridge line seems to be gone. Weird. My Bangaii cardinal seems to have adopted her and hangs around her all the time.

• Like 1

+1

The only photo I managed to get of him in the back corner peering at the scary black camera.

Chompers1.jpg

Eats formula 1 pellets and Nutramar ova

This thread got me Googling mandarins.. and I came across this:

synchiropus-occidentalis-2.jpg

Didn't know there was another kind. "Synchiropus occidentalis" Guess they are rare but there are some pairs now that people are trying to breed. Neat!

any updates on what happened with this?

He's been busy with his hippo tang project I imagine.

Sorry I've been absent on here guys. The twins have been sick and running fallow since my last update when ick made its way in. The fish were all in qt for the past several weeks and not much has changed until about now.

I picked up a pair of blue stripe pipefish about 3 weeks ago and they're doing awesome. Now that everybody is back in the displays and it appears that things are returning to normalcy, I'll start snapping some more pics of everything. I also traded my pair of tomentosus files for a pair of harlequin files, got them both eating and had the male drop dead on me. He was super skinny when I got him so I'm not super surprised. The female is in qt still because I thought I saw a couple of white specs on her but well see. If she is ok I'll pick up another male and try again.

• Like 1

How much do you guys think they would cost or how much that guy paid for his pairs?

There prob won't be many for awhile.. if they even get sent to the states or even successfully bred. That breeder is in Australia.

Don't hold your breath :P

• Like 1

There prob won't be many for awhile.. if they even get sent to the states or even successfully bred. That breeder is in Australia.

One can dream

Don't hold your breath :P

Found it.. they were $280 each in Australia. Not here :( The collector does not plan to get them often due to the cost of collecting.

Got some better pictures of my little guy today. He's getting more competitive for brine now. He'll come off the rocks, chase down and beat out the Pygmy Angel for it. It's pretty funny.

post-81273-0-61663100-1379008359_thumb.jpg

post-81273-0-13866000-1379008419_thumb.jpg

post-81273-0-88010700-1379008392_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

He looks nice and healthy, I love seeing nice fat, healthy looking mandarins. Especially in our smaller tanks :)

Thank you.

I know, right! After reading all about how it's impossible and extremely difficult to keep them. I got lucky and picked out one that was eating frozen foods when I bought him. I think that's the key.