Coral Vue Hydros

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

I know many of you have fat happy Mandarins and Dragonets. Let's see those beauties.

I'll start.

Draco. He has been with me over a year in a 34G with 15G sump. He eats everything except mysis.

His favorite foods are nutramar ova and new spectrum pellets.

FISH7.jpg

• Like 16

My old male (RIP) died during a 1000 mile move when in the new tank a hammer fell over on him during his sleep.

4ba47e8c.jpg

The female

73dc1dc5.jpg

New male

37EBBE35-52FD-4759-903D-BF03D97E5A5B-242

All of them are frozen and pellet trained.

• Like 5

A word to the wise, if you find it hard to train your mandy on frozen, try blood worms this always helped convert mine to frozen. In addition, trained mandys often train their untrained counterparts. My first male I trained, and he trained the female who I got near death skinny, now she is obese, (i will try to capture additional peaks). She in turn trained the new male who also one day started munching pellets. In addition I have heard that females are smarter and are easier to train, not to mention a much smaller bioload. I feel lucky to have success with this species, and watching them mate at night is pretty cool as they spin in the water column.

• Like 3
I want another mandarin so bad! My first was so beautiful, but I was so woefully unprepared. They are beautiful fish

I was really lucky to get one that was already eating nutramar ova. I asked the LFS to feed the fish in front of me, they had about 4 mandys. I picked the one that ate.

• Like 2

These are one of my favorite fish of all time. How do you get them already trained on pellets and frozen. They still live healthy and happy lives? Are they a pain to feed?

These are one of my favorite fish of all time. How do you get them already trained on pellets and frozen. They still live healthy and happy lives? Are they a pain to feed?

I can only speak for myself when I said I was lucky. But ORA breeds Mandarins that are sold as frozen food trained. In fact their food of choice is Nutramar Ova. They still eat pods but they supplement their diets with the frozen and pellets. I've hatched BBs for him too, I found that he is particular about the size of the food he eats, which is why mysis doesn't work for him. For the first 3 months I had him I also had a culture of Tisbe pods for him.

They need a minimum 30G tank, preferably with a fuge so that you can seed the fuge with pods and they have a safe haven to grow. These fish can totally decimate pod populations in a few days other wise. I seed my fuge with pods every 3 months or so now. Pods are good for the whole tank in general anyway.

• Like 2

I know many of you have fat happy Mandarins. Let's see those beauties.

I'll start.

Draco. He has been with me over a year in a 34G with 15G sump. He eats everything except mysis.

His favorite foods are nutramar ova and new spectrum pellets.

FISH7.jpg

Beautiful Kat, how often do you feed?

• Like 1

Thank you. Every day! I feed my tank daily.

Thank you. Every day! I feed my tank daily.

I wasn't sure if you had to feed your mandarin multiple times a day or if daily is enough supplementation to keep him full when he's not grazing pods.

I wasn't sure if you had to feed your mandarin multiple times a day or if daily is enough supplementation to keep him full when he's not grazing pods.

He's always zooming around pecking at pods. I feed new spectrum pellets which makes his belly stick out so I guess that lasts him the rest of the day.

• Like 2