Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

I been trying to target feed my mandarin OVA everyday

It seems to be picking at it but she looks sort of skinny compared to the pictures I am seeing above

I also added 1000 pods

I hope she pulls through my water quality has went down since having to feed so much

What else are you feeding besides OVA and pods? Any live brine shrimp, black worms or baby brine shrimp?

This is my male green mandarin, Podrick.

IMG_3375.jpg

I've had him for 12 days now and he is doing great. I ended up purchasing him because he was such a fatty and he has not lost any weight in my tank. He was wild caught and no one had trained him to eat frozen when I purchased him, but the first day I had him, I was able to target feed him Reef Nutrition R.O.E. from a pipet. He spends all day eating pods and then in the evenings, I put the pipet in the tank and he comes right up to it and sucks up the eggs as I squirt them out of the pipet. Last night he showed some interest in the mysis and brine I fed the tank, so I may try target feeding him some of that this evening. I really lucked out with how easy he is to feed!

• Like 5

I try to mix in mysis bits or cyclopeez she will not eat any of it

I don't even know if she likes the ova but I see her picking at it

If she's eating ova then continue with that. You could try feeding live brine and mixing it with frozen brine shrimp.

This is my male green mandarin, Podrick.

IMG_3375.jpg

I've had him for 12 days now and he is doing great. I ended up purchasing him because he was such a fatty and he has not lost any weight in my tank. He was wild caught and no one had trained him to eat frozen when I purchased him, but the first day I had him, I was able to target feed him Reef Nutrition R.O.E. from a pipet. He spends all day eating pods and then in the evenings, I put the pipet in the tank and he comes right up to it and sucks up the eggs as I squirt them out of the pipet. Last night he showed some interest in the mysis and brine I fed the tank, so I may try target feeding him some of that this evening. I really lucked out with how easy he is to feed!

:wub:

Anybody for some Mandy tats?

stevefishblogsize.jpg

Also, is this an appropriate size difference between male and female?! :o

If so, no wonder Bella and Draco weren't exactly cuddling! And where am I going to find a huge boyfriend for her now?!

mandarin2.jpg

• Like 6

If so, no wonder Bella and Draco weren't exactly cuddling! And where am I going to find a huge boyfriend for her now?!

How big is Bella? I managed to find Podrick my new mandarin at a local store and he is HUGE. Almost the max size for a full grown mandarin. So if you keep your eye out, some stores obviously get in the big ones.

• Like 1

How big is Bella? I managed to find Podrick my new mandarin at a local store and he is HUGE. Almost the max size for a full grown mandarin. So if you keep your eye out, some stores obviously get in the big ones.

She's not too big but for sure she's going to need a big guy of that picture is to be believed.

crazyfishgirl

Anybody for some Mandy tats?

stevefishblogsize.jpg

mandarin2.jpg

Love the tattoo. That's about the size difference between tangerine and Ferdinand and there's been zero aggression on eithers part. They mostly ignore one another unless the cross paths, then Ferdinand flaps his fins and hovers in place reeally hard, sand flying everywhere . Them he forgets about her and goes on his way.
  • Like 3
crazyfishgirl

Tangerine has finally come out of her funk and has started eating well again. Thank God because she got really skinny over the past 2 weeks. You can see the ridge line along her side. She's been actively searching for food now and doesn't swim away from the turkey baster now. She just ignores it. I think the newness of her surroundings and the other fish caused her to lose focus for a while. Now hopefully she's back on track. Here's a picture of her skinny.

post-66534-0-15717600-1376763196_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
crazyfishgirl

Good news, Tangerine is starting to gain weight again. That ridge line is now gone. Hurray :)

Bad news, my not so local lfs will no longer be carrying Nutramar ova after their supply runs out, they're no longer ordering from that company. This lfs was the only lfs that carried it. I'm going to have to try to switch them over to cyclopeez. I really don't want to have to order food online, but if they don't eat the cyclopeez I guess I'll have to. How nutritious is cyclopeez anyway?

oldSWseamomma

Good news, Tangerine is starting to gain weight again. That ridge line is now gone. Hurray :)

Bad news, my not so local lfs will no longer be carrying Nutramar ova after their supply runs out, they're no longer ordering from that company. This lfs was the only lfs that carried it. I'm going to have to try to switch them over to cyclopeez. I really don't want to have to order food online, but if they don't eat the cyclopeez I guess I'll have to. How nutritious is cyclopeez anyway?

So glad to hear she is doing so well now. My LFS doesn't sell Nutramar Ova either so I have to order it from Drs. Foster & Smith. They do ship it frozen and you get it the next day. The shipping is pricey but I order 2 or more bags of it and then it kind of helps with the cost. Daenerys still eats the Ova along with frozen baby brine shrimp - she loves the smaller pieces of shrimp and it has led her to eating some of the bigger pieces of brine shrimp that the other fish eat but she fills up on the BBS. She also will pick at and eat New Live Spectrum pellets and they are a very small pellet. I mix a few of them in with her ova and frozen BBS so that she sees and picks at them and now she likes them. She has grown a full inch since I got her back in May so she is doing well on those foods plus the supplement of pods that I put in the tank every two weeks. For some reason she doesn't like the worms live or frozen so I quit giving them to her. None of the other fish would eat them either - the hermits and snails thought they were tasty tho. The LFS was out of Tisbe pods so I got her the Tigger pods and OMGosh did she love those !!! Even I can see those little boogers swimming around - ha ! But she really went after those and the next day she had a good-sized belly to show for it. So anyway....don't be afraid to order the Ova from Drs Foster & Smith they do a good job packing and it arrives the next day.

crazyfishgirl

So glad to hear she is doing so well now. My LFS doesn't sell Nutramar Ova either so I have to order it from Drs. Foster & Smith. They do ship it frozen and you get it the next day. The shipping is pricey but I order 2 or more bags of it and then it kind of helps with the cost. Daenerys still eats the Ova along with frozen baby brine shrimp - she loves the smaller pieces of shrimp and it has led her to eating some of the bigger pieces of brine shrimp that the other fish eat but she fills up on the BBS. She also will pick at and eat New Live Spectrum pellets and they are a very small pellet. I mix a few of them in with her ova and frozen BBS so that she sees and picks at them and now she likes them. She has grown a full inch since I got her back in May so she is doing well on those foods plus the supplement of pods that I put in the tank every two weeks. For some reason she doesn't like the worms live or frozen so I quit giving them to her. None of the other fish would eat them either - the hermits and snails thought they were tasty tho. The LFS was out of Tisbe pods so I got her the Tigger pods and OMGosh did she love those !!! Even I can see those little boogers swimming around - ha ! But she really went after those and the next day she had a good-sized belly to show for it. So anyway....don't be afraid to order the Ova from Drs Foster & Smith they do a good job packing and it arrives the next day.

I have baby brine shrimp ( frozen) that ill try again. The first couple times I tried them she didn't seem interested. She likes bloodworms, so I'm good there. I'm going to the not so local lfs tomorrow to pick up their last packets of ova and a cyclopeez bar. See how it goes.

oldSWseamomma

Isn't it funny how each mandarin has their fav foods. Mine won't eat cyclopeez - ha! Glad you found some Ova for her :)

crazyfishgirl

Isn't it funny how each mandarin has their fav foods. Mine won't eat cyclopeez - ha! Glad you found some Ova for her :)

I'm more worried about her adapting to a new food than Ferdinand, he's much more easy going than she is. She's so secretive about things, eating, Being seen , ect

Tangerine is really pale today, still active and hunting for pods, but has lost most of her color. Should I be worried?

Keep an eye on her, especially to see if she continues to eat. Sometimes light shock will make them fade, so if you saw her just when lights came on, that could explain it.

crazyfishgirl

Keep an eye on her, especially to see if she continues to eat. Sometimes light shock will make them fade, so if you saw her just when lights came on, that could explain it.

The lights had already been on for about 3 hours. And she ate breakfast this am. She seems to have colored back up in the last 20 minutes. But I'm still keeping a close eye on her

• Like 2
crazyfishgirl

I successfully converted Ferdinand and Tangerine over to cyclopeez. I bought the kind that comes in the bar in the red foil, so it's bigger than your normal cyclopeez. They took to it pretty quickly... Yay :) so now I don't have to worry about not having ova anymore. I've started mixing in brine shrimp along with their bloodworms and have seen them sucking them in and spitting them out repeatedly so hopefully they'll get the idea that they're food. There's been no more fading on Tangerines part, so idk why she did it that once.

• Like 1

Here's my little spotted. Excuse the lousy pic and the dirty glass. I will see what I can do to get a better pic. He's eating brine, ova and NLS.

post-81273-0-28199600-1378229249_thumb.jpg

Update:

Here is a couple more pics. Taken with my work phone, lousy 4MP camera.

post-81273-0-94237600-1378490080_thumb.jpg

I thought this one was funny since the Cherub Angel decided he wanted in on the shoot.

post-81273-0-90466500-1378490091_thumb.jpg

I'll get better pics with my GS4

• Like 2

My green spotted mandarin, Joe, has been spotted eating pellets. Wohoo!

When I got him, he at cyclopleeze at the LFS. He's been on a diet of that and ova ever since. I gave up trying mysis. i have been very busy lately. So coming home tired and lazy does not help in turning off all the pumps to spot feed Joe with the modded turkey baster. He only gets that every other day. In between days I over feed pellets or a mixture of frozen brine/mysis/bloodworms. I guess the every other day feeding is getting him hungry enough to try the pellets. Go spectrum!

• Like 1
crazyfishgirl

There's something wrong with Tangerine, she's in full color, but since yesterday afternoon has been sitting at the front of the tank not moving much. She's not breathing heavily and shes alert, she's just, well, sitting. She'll move from one spot to another occasionally but for the most part she just sits. Edit: I knew I shouldn't have told people she was fat and healthy, I jinxed myself.