inTank Media Baskets

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

Very nice Joe.

In my community tank news; Sam is a curious and happy fish. He is not scared of the pipette and pecks at the frozen brine coming out of it. I watched him eat at least 20 or so pieces just yesterday. Of course I was spoon feeding him one piece at a time. :rolleyes:

He is still skinny however, even though see him cruising and pecking all day long and I have seen him eating pretty much everything except pellets. My live black worms finished so when I get some more, maybe that will fatten him up some.

Bella has a belly worthy of Humpty Dumpty. Sometimes I think she has buoyancy problems with her massive egg swollen form. She looks like a tadpole with a big round for a front body and a little tail. She's cute but it probably is uncomfortable. I have not seen them do the dance and I am not sure why. She is clearly ready and loves Sam. Maybe he needs to stop being hungry for it to happen?

• Like 1

He probably won't do any roses until he's in better physical shape. I've had still-skinny males try it but they get tired or unmotivated quickly and never actually complete a spawn.

• Like 2

You don't need moonlights for them to do their rises, it just makes it easier to see them. Mine used to do it even if I left the lights on later than usual after their dinner with no pumps on...before the incident :(

• Like 1

You don't need moonlights for them to do their rises, it just makes it easier to see them. Mine used to do it even if I left the lights on later than usual after their dinner with no pumps on...before the incident :(

Didn't know that. I don't watch them enough to know I guess! They get along but the female may not be fat enough yet since she arrived skinny.. she is starting to get a belly on her now though. She is also very tiny so I'm not sure at what age they start having eggs.

I'm so happy everyone gets along now. My spotted boy used to be a jerk but he will sleep/eat with everyone now. Guess he just needed a big goldfish belly so he could chill out. I'm pretty sure he had to fight for scraps at the LFS.

• Like 1

image_zps07e6b4a8.jpg don't know what to name him yet, thinking some type of marvel superhero/villain name, but couldn't resist, he was $36 :D

Awesome! Where you score him for $36, damn! I hope mine gets that fat.

I need a female :tears:

• Like 3

My work :) some dude bought the other one so I didn't get to see if it was a female

Tell your work to send me a female :( All the LFS suck here! There are a lot of rubys showing up now. I wonder where they were hiding for so long :P

• Like 1

A LOT of rubies showing up. We had two mixed in with the regular reds at my store and the store up the street from my apartment (my favorite store) has a very young pair for $45 each. Idk what changed but suddenly it seems at least one wholesaler has struck it rich with them this month.

• Like 2

We had moyers sent to us as red scooters thanksgiving week, it was said the two larger ones (one male and female) around 2" jumped while no one was there and the smaller female was eaten by my cousins pink spotted watchmen (yes you read that right)

She was the size of a quarter and a penny rolled up :(

We had moyers sent to us as red scooters thanksgiving week, it was said the two larger ones (one male and female) around 2" jumped while no one was there and the smaller female was eaten by my cousins pink spotted watchmen (yes you read that right)

She was the size of a quarter and a penny rolled up :(

That is sad.

A LOT of rubies showing up. We had two mixed in with the regular reds at my store and the store up the street from my apartment (my favorite store) has a very young pair for $45 each. Idk what changed but suddenly it seems at least one wholesaler has struck it rich with them this month.

Soon they will be $20 :D Why didn't you grab a pair? They are so adorable. I would grab one if I could find one.

• Like 1

After the incident with my air conditioner last month, and after deciding to upgrade to the 37s at Christmas, I'm trying to hold off on buying new fish for the time being. I highly doubt they will not be available again and for less than $100 for the pair.

And I forgot to mention I just bought a 4 month old onyx picasso from Mr Cobbs Corals last week so I'm relatively broke although I'd buy 5 more if I had the money.

• Like 3

I am so bummed out I found my baby flameback that I got as a grad present in the summer dead last night, I didn't notice him come out to eat then I found his body in the back, I believe my pistol shrimp snapped at him because he always went after my yasha and he was fine a hour before. Do I have the right to blame it on the new ruby red scooter I bought?

I decided I was going to treat Thor with copper, ik the little tank he was in had a fish with ich so I'm not taking a chance.

So I have a question why are scooter blennys called blennys and why are mandarins sometimes labeled goby?

I decided I was going to treat Thor with copper, ik the little tank he was in had a fish with ich so I'm not taking a chance.

So I have a question why are scooter blennys called blennys and why are mandarins sometimes labeled goby?

Because sometimes the people doing the wholesaling, or the ordering, or receiving the shipment and making the sale label for the tank do not know that they aren't. Used to bother me, now it's just a take-it-in-stride thing. After all, what's important is whether YOU know the difference.

Besides, we're in a hobby where the same coral or critter can have a dozen different names & affixed adjectives that affect the price... taxonomic accuracy's not a priority in many cases (as I gaze upon my LE Tyree deepwater ultra myopic Radioactive Dragon's-Eye palythoa mini-colony - after all that's what they were sold as in the store, so it must be what they are, right?). ;)

Oh, and now I join your ranks (with a crappy smartphone picture, no less!). Took over a week to get her eating (supposedly trained already :rolleyes:), and I'm still not happy with how sunken her belly is or how much nuisance algae's starting to pop up in the tank. To all of you who've brought theirs back from the brink of starvation - about how long does it take for them to put the weight back on once they start eating?

post-70644-0-53612000-1386876368_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dunno. Maybe because scooter dragonets maybe, kinda sorta look a little bit like some kinds of blennies? You know, if you ignore the whole how it swims, hunting methodology, behavior & fin/facial/body structure thing? ;)

Then there's just "how it's been learned". There's a store down here that has top-notch livestock and corals, stocks & sells nutramar specifically for mandarin/seahorse/pipefish husbandry and actively encourages those buying said critters to pick up a pouch on discount (akin to the reefs2go mandy + pod combos). But mandarin dragonets are always "gobies" whenever I called asking about inventory, or overheard when they're talking to other customers.

Again, don't sweat it.

Love the pics of the ruby scooter blen... DAMMIT! <wink> It's amazing how many are turning up these days, especially after the Reefbuilder's blog post about how rare they were back in April.

• Like 1