Top Shelf Aquatics

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all this pc talk and no parts or progress pics? so i guess ill join the party.....i just added a samsung evo 240gb for my windows 10 and a wd 1tb for storage. all in my laptop. next is the jump to 16gb of ram and thats all she wrote. but cheaper than a new laptop.

jedimasterben

all this pc talk and no parts or progress pics? so i guess ill join the party.....i just added a samsung evo 240gb for my windows 10 and a wd 1tb for storage. all in my laptop. next is the jump to 16gb of ram and thats all she wrote. but cheaper than a new laptop.

Absolutely. I put my old Samsung 840 (non-pro) into my work laptop and it runs circles around everything else. I even put it into one of our oldest systems that can run Windows 7 with an old Core 2 Duo, and put it up against a brand new system with an Ivy Bridge i5, and it still was significantly faster in anything that was storage limited. My boss finally agreed to buy us techs SSDs (though that was almost 6 months ago and she still hasn't actually done it lol).

Absolutely. I put my old Samsung 840 (non-pro) into my work laptop and it runs circles around everything else. I even put it into one of our oldest systems that can run Windows 7 with an old Core 2 Duo, and put it up against a brand new system with an Ivy Bridge i5, and it still was significantly faster in anything that was storage limited. My boss finally agreed to buy us techs SSDs (though that was almost 6 months ago and she still hasn't actually done it lol).

Jeez tell him to join us in 2009. I've been on SSDs for I think almost 6 or 7 years now.

If you need a project Ben I can send you my Nanobox V3's, BF mini, ASIS heatsink, drivers, wire, PSU, and you can put my light together. I'm sitting here looking at all of this just thinking why why why did I not just buy a Quad from Dave and call it a day? lol.

If you need a project Ben I can send you my Nanobox V3's, BF mini, ASIS heatsink, drivers, wire, PSU, and you can put my light together. I'm sitting here looking at all of this just thinking why why why did I not just buy a Quad from Dave and call it a day? lol.

Life's no fun if you don't burn yourself a couple times with a soldering iron. :)

jedimasterben

Jeez tell him to join us in 2009. I've been on SSDs for I think almost 6 or 7 years now.

yeah, i barely have time for my own with an infant here :lol:

The problem is that we have ~2500 systems in the district and a budget that keeps getting cut by 15-25% year over year. Doesn't leave much for buying SSDs lol.

I'm not Ben but as long as its not too fancy I'd do it. Its fun building lights.......

Ben I noticed you've got the violets all clustered, on my clusters I put the violets on the outer edges of the heat sink with the intent of raising the PAR around the edges of the tank. Was there any reason to do that or did it not really matter?

My little server is actually really basic, as it is just used for storage. CPU is an Intel 10 watt quad core J1900, 8GB RAM. I did set up a Plex server on it, though, to stream the media to my Chromecasts, and the little CPU doesnt have enough horsepower to keep up with the higher quality media, so I may get a cheap H61/67 motherboard to use with my old i7 2600K. That thing is a beast, it would cut through encodes like butter :)

I can encode 3 or 4 streams via Plex at a time on my Mac Mini server to Roku devices but when I had chromecast it would be glitchy. Might look into that.

jedimasterben

I'm not Ben but as long as its not too fancy I'd do it. Its fun building lights.......

Ben I noticed you've got the violets all clustered, on my clusters I put the violets on the outer edges of the heat sink with the intent of raising the PAR around the edges of the tank. Was there any reason to do that or did it not really matter?

It's definitely a lot of fun, I just don't have as much time for it nowadays :)

I don't think it would really matter much, to be honest.

I can encode 3 or 4 streams via Plex at a time on my Mac Mini server to Roku devices but when I had chromecast it would be glitchy. Might look into that.

The Plex server 'talks' to the receiving device to find out what it is and what it is capable of decoding. The Roku is much more flexible than a Chromecast, so more than likely you are not encoding anything, just transcoding into a different container.

It's definitely a lot of fun, I just don't have as much time for it nowadays :)

I don't think it would really matter much, to be honest.

The Plex server 'talks' to the receiving device to find out what it is and what it is capable of decoding. The Roku is much more flexible than a Chromecast, so more than likely you are not encoding anything, just transcoding into a different container.

Well it always says "Stop encoding in process" if I select it to kill it off. I try and play the native file if possible though.

jedimasterben

Tell it always says "Stop encoding in process" if I select it to kill it off. I try and play the native file if possible though.

The software doesn't differentiate between encoding and transcoding :)

jedimasterben

Got all the wire and sleeving ordered. Ran out of my white MDPC-X sleeve unfortunately, and Nils is no longer shipping as of now, so I can't get more. Settled for grey Techflex Clean Cut, hopefully it does the trick. Ordered single 26AWG 300v for the LEDs and fans and single 18AWG 600v for the T5. Decided against using multicable going to the fixture because I didn't want to have to splice anything or use terminal blocks inside.

Also back to doing just two T5. I figured I can wait the extra week or two for it.

Got all the wire and sleeving ordered. Ran out of my white MDPC-X sleeve unfortunately, and Nils is no longer shipping as of now, so I can't get more. Settled for grey Techflex Clean Cut, hopefully it does the trick. Ordered single 26AWG 300v for the LEDs and fans and single 18AWG 600v for the T5. Decided against using multicable going to the fixture because I didn't want to have to splice anything or use terminal blocks inside.

Also back to doing just two T5. I figured I can wait the extra week or two for it.

I'm sure you know but paracord is also an option. Can you define multicable?

jedimasterben

I'm sure you know but paracord is also an option. Can you define multicable?

Paracord is, well, not great. Look at it wrong and it snags. Multicable as in a multiconductor cable, so it would be a single cable that has more than one separate wire in it.

Paracord is, well, not great. Look at it wrong and it snags. Multicable as in a multiconductor cable, so it would be a single cable that has more than one separate wire in it.

Very true lol. Why did you decide against the multicable? That's what I'm using to go from light to control box with 1 cable.

Also didn't want to hijack so posted a question in my thread if you don't mind. :Dhttp://www.nano-reef.com/topic/361553-led-plans/page-3#entry5180638

jedimasterben

Very true lol. Why did you decide against the multicable? That's what I'm using to go from light to control box with 1 cable.

Also didn't want to hijack so posted a question in my thread if you don't mind. :Dhttp://www.nano-reef.com/topic/361553-led-plans/page-3#entry5180638

It's easier to sleeve a bunch of single cables than it is to sleeve a few multicables :)

jedimasterben

Fair enough lol. In that case I have two questions..

1. How is the quality of this 1/2" sleeve? (I have only ever used paracord lol) http://www.amazon.com/PET-Expandable-Braided-Sleeving-Color/dp/B00BM80FKY

2. How do you know which wire is what inside the multisleeve?

Buy Techflex Clean Cut.

You have to label each wire or use a multimeter to test conductivity.

Buy Techflex Clean Cut.

You have to label each wire or use a multimeter to test conductivity.

Perfect, thanks!

That does not sound fun... That sounds like an afternoon lol.

It isn't too bad if it's only a few wires.

When you have a 100 pair copper cable burried under the ground because some idiot cut it with a backhoe ....

jedimasterben

It isn't too bad if it's only a few wires.

When you have a 100 pair copper cable burried under the ground because some idiot cut it with a backhoe ....

My dad dug up a Comcast fiber hub one time. He called the whatever number that comes and labels where shit is buried, and they marked the wrong spot, so he dug, and pulled up some kind of tube, and went 'uh oh'. Within five minutes there were nearly a dozen Comcast vans there lol. Luckily my dad wasn't at fault since it was mismarked - Comcast said it cost over $100K to repair it.

jedimasterben

looky what dave found!

download_20151113_143246.jpg

The inner vents weren't milled out completely, but he is going to open them up. Just gotta slap some paint on it, get the holes and such drilled for the splash guard and hanging bits, and it'll be all mine! Then we can get this show on the road!

download_20151113_143250.jpg

Archived