inTank Media Baskets

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I get most of my computer stuff either used or from surplus. I'm about to buy two Toshiba 6TB enterprise drives for $160 each :)

Though it did take nearly a day's worth of research to figure out what kind of SAS controller card I'd need to get them to work, and how to update the firmware on those cards, etc etc. :o

jedimasterben

I have three Samsung F4 2TB drives in my home server right now and I am down to less than 300GB free. I was planning on buying a pair of 4TB HGST NAS drives to replace them, but at $165 each I kept putting it off, as I got the Samsung drives for $80 each a few years ago before the flooding in Taiwan skyrocketed HDD prices.

I saw someone had a pair of Toshiba 6TB SAS drives, which are rated for 24/7 use, for $160 each, so I get another 4TB total storage for less money. Of course, II just bought a PCIe x1 to x16 riser for a SAS card, and Monday we will be checking our discarded servers at work for a SAS controller that is suitable for it. If we don't have one (we should, all the servers we have should all be Nehalem/Westmere Xeon based which is during the time when Dell was using LSI 9211 controllers, so hopefully that's what they'll have. Maybe there will be a bunch and I can sell them. :D

jedimasterben

Ben what do you do with all that storage space? I just have 3x120GB SSDs RAID 0 on my system.

I store music, photos, and I have my entire movie collection ripped and encoded. That is the bulk of it, over a terabyte of documentaries alone. My desktop is also backed up to the server at least once daily. It has a Samsung 850 pro 128gb that holds Windows 10 and programs, an Intel SSD 730 480GB that holds my steam and lightroom libraries, and a Samsung 640GB that is used for downloads and anything else I don't want to use the solid state drives for, even though the NAND has so many P/E cycles that I will never wear through them lol. If I wrote 20GB per day to the Samsung SSD, it would take 21 years to reach the 150TB estimated life expectancy.

I wonder how that would stack up against my stores internal servers. Not counting the systems that let the stores share inventory data with each other and the .com division.

I wonder how that would stack up against my stores internal servers. Not counting the systems that let the stores share inventory data with each other and the .com division.

Your stores local machine won't be that big, the remote (depending on how big your companies comms appetite is) will be supported by either Central comms rack in you HQ or a Data centr (your supplier) either way they will more than likely run at 5% or less head room (cause we are all cheap) ...

Best guess Bens will oversize your store significantly.

jedimasterben

My little server is actually really basic, as it is just used for storage. CPU is an Intel 10 watt quad core J1900, 8GB RAM. I did set up a Plex server on it, though, to stream the media to my Chromecasts, and the little CPU doesnt have enough horsepower to keep up with the higher quality media, so I may get a cheap H61/67 motherboard to use with my old i7 2600K. That thing is a beast, it would cut through encodes like butter :)

Marc.The.Shark

Ben what do you do with all that storage space?

He's gonna run for Prez at some point & has to get the whole "Home Server" thing figured out first. Don't want to go thru that whole ordeal testifying before congress!! Lol

I only just recent picked up an Intel 240GB SSD for games exclusively, everything else including most of my games is on the 360GB RAID. I have about 50GB worth of music, but even so multiple TB of space is nuts lol.

He's gonna run for Prez at some point & has to get the whole "Home Server" thing figured out first. Don't want to go thru that whole ordeal testifying before congress!! Lol

LMAO

jedimasterben

I only just recent picked up an Intel 240GB SSD for games exclusively, everything else including most of my games is on the 360GB RAID. I have about 50GB worth of music, but even so multiple TB of space is nuts lol.

LMAO

With a little one now and getting much more into photography, with each RAW file hitting 28-30MB each, it adds up super fast. And with games starting to (stupidly) weigh in at 20-60+GB each thanks to uncompressed audio, it begins to add up even faster. I have a feeling that my 480GB steam drive will very soon be insufficient. Even now I only have just a handful of games installed.

Your stores local machine won't be that big, the remote (depending on how big your companies comms appetite is) will be supported by either Central comms rack in you HQ or a Data centr (your supplier) either way they will more than likely run at 5% or less head room (cause we are all cheap) ...

Best guess Bens will oversize your store significantly.

It's a Walmart so we have some big servers. Have to keep pharmacy records, sales records, all the systems to keep the subsystems and the slave server running. I doubt we have that much storage space though. We keep a lot of stuff in DOS or Windows CE (we also use XP and Vista still).

jedimasterben

It's a Walmart so we have some big servers. Have to keep pharmacy records, sales records, all the systems to keep the subsystems and the slave server running. I doubt we have that much storage space though. We keep a lot of stuff in DOS or Windows CE (we also use XP and Vista still).

The servers are probably several years old, so mine could probably keep up with them honestly, all 10 watts of it :D

The servers are probably several years old, so mine could probably keep up with them honestly, all 10 watts of it :D

Indeed, large corporations are like big old ocean liners, they do turn, but very slowly..A very good example as stated above, XP is out of support and well vista...hmmm.. But being a Walmart I would say it's defo data centred so top of the pops in terms of hardware.

Anyway.. No idea why I piped up in your thread?

jedimasterben

I got my new motherboard today, the damn CPU socket cover came off in shipping and bent some pins. Unfortunately my current motherboard is on eBay, set to end on Sunday, so I won't be able to get the new one going this weekend to replace it. FML

jedimasterben

Ordered an Asus Z97I-Plus as a replacement, but not sure when it will arrive. Sigh. No fallout 4 on launch day for ben :(

Archived