SaltCritters.com

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

I'm really glad that Dave is a badass and is up for ANYTHING, cause this shit is getting complex! It's now including a Storm X (with custom firmware), two solid-state 5v relays for turning the T5 ballasts on/off at set times, a pair of 12v SCW for powering eight fans, a 12v SCW for powering the Storm X, a 5v SCW for powering the relays (they needed external power beyond the 5v activation signal from the Storm). :blink::wacko:

Gonna be a shitload of wiring everywhere, but only one AC power cord and one 54v DC power cord are going into the fixture :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really glad that Dave is a badass and is up for ANYTHING, cause this shit is getting complex! It's now including a Storm X (with custom firmware), two solid-state 5v relays for turning the T5 ballasts on/off at set times, a pair of 12v SCW for powering eight fans, a 12v SCW for powering the Storm X, a 5v SCW for powering the relays (they needed external power beyond the 5v activation signal from the Storm). :blink::wacko:

Gonna be a shitload of wiring everywhere, but only one AC power cord and one 54v DC power cord are going into the fixture :)

so with all this planning, there's not going to be any hot glued wire grommets this time is there? :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
jedimasterben

So since I killed my Bluefish (on November 16th) I have been running just the two T5 bulbs and a PAR38 over the big nem. I absolutely forgot that my LED driver boards are fully able to run without a PWM signal just by pulling a jumper, so I could have been running some of the LEDs along with the T5 for the time being. FML

jedimasterben

So after getting my replacement Electric Imp card for my Bluefish, it will turn on and sync up to my settings, but it will not output anything over PWM if I connect the 3.5mm cables fully into the controller (which I assume connects the ground). Spencer said that more than likely two or more of the four IC on the board are also damaged. He is sending me some and I'm going to attempt reflowing them off and the new ones on. Wish me luck!!!

There was a part of me that wanted to jump in there and help you school the poor guy, but I just can't bring myself to dirty myself with that website. I'll be lurking in the shadows though to see what happens.

"I have an electrical degree, so I knows everything!!!!"

jedimasterben

FINALLY! The cat's outta the bag (and not kitty kat :P)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355869-nano-box-v3-array-lime-luxeon-t-uv/

ATI%206x39%20Sunpower%20Nanobox%20RetroF

Sunpower%20retrofit%20wiringFINAL.png

16x Luxeon T 3000K 95CRI
8x Luxeon T 4000K 85CRI
32x Luxeon T royal blue
8x Rebel blue
8x Rebel cyan
16x Rebel ES lime
16x SemiLEDs 410-420nm violet
8x LEDgroupbuy 410nm true violet
8x LEDgroupbuy 430nm hyper violet

All powered by LDD-700H (because srsly), fans powered by SCW08C-12 and will be controlled on/off via the Bluefish. I chose not to do the relays for the T5 at this time since I will be doing some testing for CoralVue and will need manual control of the ballasts - if I had a Storm X control them, then I would not be able to turn them on/off manually, as it would be hard-coded into the controller firmware without a menu option to be able to change it. Since I scrapped that idea, then I would now be able to also use the Bluefish to force on my fans (since it is able to do minimum dimming set to 5v constant) when the LEDs start to ramp up in the morning. Spencer had also linked a nifty, cheap 3-10v activated relay that I can use in the future to turn on the T5 if I want to go that route, I might be able to use the 'ramp delay' to force them to turn on later than the LEDs. I wouldn't want all four to come on at once, though, so I dunno what I'll do there. That's future Ben's problem :)

The reason for the 'extra' violets is that Dave was originally going to flow off the SemiLEDs chips and put the LEDgroupbuy chips on the PCB, but he doesn't want to do that, so he was just like #### it, I'll just add another couple drivers and put them next to the PCB. Done! :D

Paleoreef103

Amazing Ben. Why not put the separate violets away from the main clusters? It's not like you'll get disco from them and you'll get slightly more even coverage. Just a thought though. Also, I want that light.

That's a nice setup. Looks like another project for the future. Will be following your progress, looks sweet. I have a question about where you got the driver and fan driver Fab?

jedimasterben

That's a nice setup. Looks like another project for the future. Will be following your progress, looks sweet. I have a question about where you got the driver and fan driver Fab?

O2Surplus on RC designed them, his design files and such are available. The little fan control circuit is a bit hairy since they are surface mount, but if you ask him nicely he can populate the boards for you :)

Archived