Top Shelf Aquatics

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it has a voltage input of 36-72v and converts it to 5v, 9v, 12v, or 15v depending on which one you get. The 'C' means that it has pins. http://www.meanwell.com/search/scw05/SCW05-spec.pdf

They're also the exact same size and pins as the LDD, so they will fit on current boards. O2Surplus made boards that have four LDD and one SCW.

NewPcBs005_zpsb198a3a2.jpg

Yeah these things look legit. I bought a 48-12v converter off ebay. They heat up so much I refuse to run them. They're scorching hot to the touch. I wish I had just sucked it up and bought one of these.

jedimasterben

Yeah, they're more expensive than the LDD ($10-12 each) but luckily you don't need a bunch of them. Fans usually consume around 70-200mA, and the SCW05C-12 outputs 400mA.

Yeah, they're more expensive than the LDD ($10-12 each) but luckily you don't need a bunch of them. Fans usually consume around 70-200mA, and the SCW05C-12 outputs 400mA.

I really should have got one of these for my 40B build. I'm probably going to PM 02surplus and see if he has any leftover. He shipped out my ldd board practically the next day after I asked him.

jedimasterben

I got four of the eight boards he had leftover, and the others were gone a few minutes afterwards lol. He only has the 8-up boards left, though I think he said he is gonna order more of the boards to put together.

I PM'ed him right after he posted he had them (which was like 10AM or something), and he had the SMT stuff mounted and shipped them out within a couple of hours lol

I got four of the eight boards he had leftover, and the others were gone a few minutes afterwards lol. He only has the 8-up boards left, though I think he said he is gonna order more of the boards to put together.

I PM'ed him right after he posted he had them (which was like 10AM or something), and he had the SMT stuff mounted and shipped them out within a couple of hours lol

There are some ruthless DIYers out there lol.

I scored one of the complete 8 ups he had yesterday. 8 channels should give me enough to do what ever I need when I finalize my design. He said it'll ship tomorrow. Can't wait.

jedimasterben

I scored one of the complete 8 ups he had yesterday. 8 channels should give me enough to do what ever I need when I finalize my design. He said it'll ship tomorrow. Can't wait.

I already have all of the little bits and pieces, so $15/board for them I didn't really like, but $6/board for bare plus him soldering all of the SMT parts was awesome :)

Hey Jedi, would 3 vero 10s run in parallel off a ldd-1000 be OK?

Yeah, they'll have about 333mA each, depending on the Vf of each chip, but they should be very very close.

yeah but for $15 a board is good compared to having to buy everything and pay for shipping. not to mention i've never done through hole soldering. the vero 10 is around 1000 lumens at 350ma so 333 should be too big of a difference. do you think 3 luxeon m royal blues per vero 10 is ok?

jedimasterben

The soldering of the through-hole components couldn't be simpler, but the SMT stuff is a pain that I'm glad I didn't have to deal with!

What you want to keep is a certain ratio of lumens of white to mW of royal blue. I like a 1:13 ratio for a good 12Kish color, and for every Luxeon M use one or two cool blue (I like the XP-E2 over Rebels unless you can get a specific bin).

So for me, I'm running the Vero 10 at 250mA maximum, which is 870lm, paired with two royal blue M at 1000mA maximum, which is 6200mW each, 870:12400 ratio (or 1:14).

I'm working on a different guide that I was previously, and it's basically how to figure out how many lumens and mW you'd need for your tank (since you need more for deeper tanks, less for shallow tanks, etc).

Awesome. What sort of heatsink would you recommend for a vero 10, 3 luxeon m RB, 3 Cree blue, a cyan and 4-6 violets? And what violets are better? Milads or Steve's? Thanks for the help

jedimasterben

Yep, it'd be fine. I ran ~120w of LEDs on one for almost a month straight, and as long as the fan was running the heatsink was warm to the touch.

jedimasterben

I've never used Steve's 'dual core' violets. I don't like the package (not as good at heat transfer as the 3535 package that the LEDGroupBuy ones are on), plus, while Steve's has higher total output, it has higher power consumption, too, and is only ~285mW per watt at full current (1000mA) whereas the LEDGroupBuy HV is ~403mW per watt and the TV is 278mW per watt (both at 700mA). Steve's single core is 377mW per watt at 700mA, so they're also more efficient than the dual core.

NirvanaandTool

So bailing on the BXRA-950s huh? Fine be like that! I still have 4 that I plan to use on my build whenever I get around to assembling the canopy.

Any reason why you are going 4 Vero's and not 2 like you did with the 950s in your Cluster re-design?

jedimasterben

I'm not using any lenses this go around, and it will help spread the light around having multiple points. In addition, the Nanobox heatsink is tiny (less than 3" wide) and you can't physically cluster a ton of stuff together, anyway, especially with the Luxeon M PCB being 30mm.

I wish I only had 4 BXRA laying around lol. I think I have four (two warm and two cool) for a planted tank that I'm still planning, and then a whole bunch of single LEDs and a bunch of Inventronics drivers. Was hoping to use up some of my remaining credit at LEDGroupBuy but nobody wanted to buy any of it, so Milad is thankfully letting me send it all back, still around $450 or so that I have no clue what to do with other than maybe order stuff for people and only charge them like 90% of the total.

I also have a bunch of reflectors for the Luxeon M and BXRA, but I think they're all narrow ones, it's nuts lol. I'm gonna have a LOT of stuff to sell off once I get everything moved over!

NirvanaandTool

Curious to see what it looks like with no optics. But ya totally get the space limitations with the Nanobox heatsink. Should look awesome though with that.

I'd hate to see how many spare LEDs and assorted LED parts you have lying around. Worse comes to worst, just build some custom lights and sell em off on here with what you've got lying around.

jedimasterben

Curious to see what it looks like with no optics. But ya totally get the space limitations with the Nanobox heatsink. Should look awesome though with that.

I'd hate to see how many spare LEDs and assorted LED parts you have lying around. Worse comes to worst, just build some custom lights and sell em off on here with what you've got lying around.

I've thought about that, but that takes a lot of time lol. I'm gonna be selling all of my violet, cool blue, and white LEDs from my current array if anyone wants them. The solderless violets just take up too much room on the heatsink so they gotta go!

Plus, when it comes to drivers and such, not many people want to deal with separate power supplies/drivers/controllers in the case of the LDD, and since they don't dim easily people are intimidated by it that aren't really into DIY as it is - and those people are already building their own.

@jedi - do you have a pic of the Nanobox setup? I am interested in getting one of these to replace my 8x54w T5 setup on my 90g.

Also do you have a complete parts list for this new setup and places where you got the items?

Archived