Coral Vue Hydros

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

flamehawk1613

thank you Jedi i think im ready to order all my leds for my build . If you dont mind i a few more questions , im using LDD drivers which controller would you use if all i need to use it for is to controll my lights? and what are your feelings on the power supplies from china?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can use a Typhon or a storm controller, both are only for dimming an have a sunrise/sunset function. You can buy power supplies on ebay for around $30-$40 shipped.

Also, I couldn't find anywhere that has the 00's in stock, I actually think Bridgelux is dropping the 00's and sticking with the 03's. Don't hold me to that but I believe that's what the guy at newark told me.

flamehawk1613

thanks crazy i was looking at steves typhoon for now. I am reading a few books right now on arduino programing and when i get a better grasp of the programing i would love to build an jarduino type device. I have found a 400 watt 48v led power supply at aliexpress , i can get 2 shipped for 57.00 i just want to make sure their power supplies are better then buying their leds.

You_Wrasse_is_Mine

Ok guys. Thank for the push in the right direction. I will look into the BXRA chips. That also sounds like a very promising response from Cree to there competitors superior chips available today. Does anyone have any idea when the new cree's will hit the market?

You_Wrasse_is_Mine

thanks crazy i was looking at steves typhoon for now. I am reading a few books right now on arduino programing and when i get a better grasp of the programing i would love to build an jarduino type device. I have found a 400 watt 48v led power supply at aliexpress , i can get 2 shipped for 57.00 i just want to make sure their power supplies are better then buying their leds.

Have a look at the storm x. Its a bit more expensive, but it has a few extra features that could help out a lot. It has many more PWM channels and the software is of higher quality as well. These are arduino based controllers anyways and you could even modify the sketch yourself once you get better with arduoino programming. This is my plan.

I have a typhon now, and previously also and I wish I would have gone with atleast the Storm, there is a user on here (Giga) who has a storm X and he seems to love it. Maybe I missed it but, what is the final LED count for your light Flamehawk?

You_Wrasse_is_Mine

The company that sells the storm controllers also sells very handy LDD driver boards that come equipped with pull down resistors which reduce your drivers to 0% when a PWM signal is lost instead of allowing the driver to open up all the way to 100% this can protect your LEDs and your tank for a small cost.

flamehawk1613

Im still messing with the numbers but it will look sonething like

6 bxra 950

18 luxeon m royal blue

18 luxeon es cool blue

24 semiled hyper voilet

12 luxeon es cyan

im planning on making 3 fixtures to go over my 180 tank 6x2x2

The company that sells the storm controllers also sells very handy LDD driver boards that come equipped with pull down resistors which reduce your drivers to 0% when a PWM signal is lost instead of allowing the driver to open up all the way to 100% this can protect your LEDs and your tank for a small cost.

Good call, I forgot to mention that too.

NaturallyKait

no i have the slowest lol

Haha, possibly. Mine has been in the closet waiting for a stand for a little over a year -_-

jedimasterben

Haha, possibly. Mine has been in the closet waiting for a stand for a little over a year -_-

wut. :lol:

I just did a quick calculation for ya - to light a 40B using the same principal I did, based on the BXRA, Luxeon M RB, Rebel blue, and LGB HV, with two dimmable T5, you're looking at around $500 for the LEDs, Makers heatsink, LDD drivers and power supply, dimmable T5 ballast, two reflectors, two pairs of endcaps, two ATI bulbs, plus misc wire and stuff. You'd have to make your own enclosure to make it look like not shit (unless you're a magician), but 1x2 from a hardware store and a little bit of a thin plywood skin, a coat of paint, and you're golden. You'd also need some sort of control for the LEDs and T5, but unfortunately they use different dimming technology - the HEP ballast is 0-10v, and the LDD are PWM. You can get a Typhon PWM controller, and you can also make a DAC to convert the PWM signal to analog 0-10v, but I'm not sure how or if there are any pre-made ones out there. Maybe someone else could chime in on that?

It really seems like there is a LOT that goes into it, and it is, but it's well worth it IMHO.

jedimasterben

I'm just glad it didn't take too much more than that to light my tank :)

Well, if you count all the extra shit I bought that I'm not using, it's like double. lol

NaturallyKait

It took me a week to explain that the LED light bulbs at Walmart wouldn't work lol. "But I see them all the time for like $10!". If I wasn't saving up to spay two kittens...

I see that you have included T5 in your build, to get better blending.

Awesome looking fixture! It will greenhouse the s### out of your corals :D

But if one wants to go 100% LED, would you recommend a different design, than the Evil's cluster?

jedimasterben

I see that you have included T5 in your build, to get better blending.

Awesome looking fixture! It will greenhouse the s### out of your corals :D

But if one wants to go 100% LED, would you recommend a different design, than the Evil's cluster?

Nope, they're pretty much the best that you can do at the moment.

PAR numbers. All are uncorrected from the Apogee sensor, and with as much blue and violet as I'm pumping in, this can be 20% higher. This is with all LEDs and both T5 tubes at 100% intensity, with the LEDs 16" off the top of the tank and the T5 at 10".

PARfinal.png

You_Wrasse_is_Mine

Here's my parts list for the build I'm after so far. Let me know what you think.

6x BXRA 40e1350 b00

6x LEDIL - C11508_BROOKE-W 50 degree reflectors

24x RB luxeon M

24x Minnie ledil 63 degree reflectors

12x luxeon es CB

6x luxeon es C

6x luxeon es DR

24x 60 degree optics

14x LDD-1000

1x LDD-700

2x 6ch LDD Driver board

1x 3ch LDD Driver board

1x Storm X Controller

3x 6"x20" heatsink

1-3x temp probe (for cooling fan control)

3x active cooling fans

I am not doing coral right away until the tank is established and stable. I will then add an HV array at that time.

That's well over 500watts worth of high power LED light. This overkill for a 175 Bowfront?

Holy mother of gawd, that's what I call a real build.

You have a trillion lumens of neutral white light from the BXRAs, and you still have a channel for reds. Please take a look at the data sheet for those arrays, and decide for yourself if they carry enough red for your needs(theres a big ol ass hump of red from them).

Clive and Ben, uh, will hate me for harping this point, again, and please do what you like,,, but I would trade that dark red channel for a violet channel.

Most of what I know about LEDs Ive learned from them, admittedly. But I would use a full channel of low frequency violets and a full channel of high frequency violets, myself if I were building this monster build.

Guess what Ben is doing with his T5s that he's added, its all actinic (violet range). I was thinking of doing this myself(even before he released info on this build), but my tank is only 24" wide, and tubes to me at that length just dont seem enough for the work involved to make it look nice.

*1^^ . Jedi will probably tell you to ditch the reds, add a ton of the LGB 430NM hyper violets and use the cree cyans instead of the rebels cause the rebels are too green. He might also suggest you add a few more of the rebel cool blues to balance out the bxra's and M's. Jedi if this is too far in left field please correct me.

*1^^ . Jedi will probably tell you to ditch the reds, add a ton of the LGB 430NM hyper violets and use the cree cyans instead of the rebels cause the rebels are too green. He might also suggest you add a few more of the rebel cool blues to balance out the bxra's and M's. Jedi if this is too far in left field please correct me.

I don't think Cree makes any cyan leds. I could not find any in the typical Cree package myself.

Archived