Cultivated Reef

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But for real, I think the addition of the T5's makes quite a difference. I'm really hoping the added height of my tank will help with blending. It should.

You_Wrasse_is_Mine

Nice job on the light Ben! I'm not too sure if I like the color much though myself. It's probably the actual pictures, but the color don't look right to me.

Jedi,

Hope you dont mind me posting this. This is lovetoreefs. After a shipping nightmare it is finally off to him after I unboxed to get a quick teaser. All T5 wiring is almost internal. Separate dimming for each color. Talk about a lot of wiring....

10181240883_550e133436_b.jpg

108w of T5 and ~392 of LED power....

-Dave

does the tank look this purple in real life or just the way the camera captured the lighting? i ordered 16 HV for my tank and im worried it would be too purple to my liking

jedimasterben

But for real, I think the addition of the T5's makes quite a difference. I'm really hoping the added height of my tank will help with blending. It should.

Definitely.

Nice job on the light Ben! I'm not too sure if I like the color much though myself. It's probably the actual pictures, but the color don't look right to me.

They don't look right to me, either! :lol:

Hopefully my sis will be in town soon and I can swipe her DSLR.

Jedi,

Hope you dont mind me posting this. This is lovetoreefs. After a shipping nightmare it is finally off to him after I unboxed to get a quick teaser. All T5 wiring is almost internal. Separate dimming for each color. Talk about a lot of wiring....

10181240883_550e133436_b.jpg

160w of T5 and ~392 of LED power....

-Dave

160w from two bulbs? What ballast are you using? Also, I think he said that they are ATI reflectors - how did you mount them and the bulbs to them?

does the tank look this purple in real life or just the way the camera captured the lighting? i ordered 16 HV for my tank and im worried it would be too purple to my liking

Our eyes basically can't even see light below 440nm or so. I can run 1000w of violet light over a tank, and if I turn on 10w of white light, the violet would be gone.

160w from two bulbs? What ballast are you using? Also, I think he said that they are ATI reflectors - how did you mount them and the bulbs to them?

I think it's two 60" T5s which are 80W a piece.

jedimasterben

I think it's two 60" T5s which are 80W a piece.

Ah, gotcha. I just looked at their thread, the tank is 56" long, so that makes sense. Though 4' bulbs would have still had basically full coverage :P

Ah, gotcha. I just looked at their thread, the tank is 56" long, so that makes sense. Though 4' bulbs would have still had basically full coverage :P

I mean, I guess it could be running some icecap 660s on the 4' bulbs, but that's excessive. Just like 400 Ws of LED power!

Do you have plans to make a PAR map with your fixtures? I'd love to see one.

jedimasterben

I mean, I guess it could be running some icecap 660s on the 4' bulbs, but that's excessive. Just like 400 Ws of LED power!

Do you have plans to make a PAR map with your fixtures? I'd love to see one.

Yep, they're coming soon.

jedimasterben

ATI doesn't use Miro reflectors, though. Theirs are custom, and require the bulb to be mounted almost touching the reflector.

You_Wrasse_is_Mine

Love them! I have them in my hybrid.

Ok thanks, I think I'll give them a try. I'm just fed up with Cree. I will not use there diodes anymore for anything other then finding my way in the dark. Nice job on your hybrid build too by the way!!!

ATI doesn't use Miro reflectors, though. Theirs are custom, and require the bulb to be mounted almost touching the reflector.

The reflector material is pretty much the same but has different angels than the standard ATI. The difference is the mounting. I tore my Sunpower apart and again just how they mount them. I'll snap a picture if you would like.

You realize that Miro is the reflector material, not the actual reflector design, right? It was created by a company called Anolux, but there are many manufacturers of the material world wide. Here is a brief description of what Miro is:

http://www.anomet.com/miro.html

jedimasterben

That was the only thing holding me back from using ATI reflectors in mine I made, the damn mounting. If I could find any bulb clips to keep them at the proper length, I'd swap out my Miro reflectors for ATI.

You realize that Miro is the reflector material, not the actual reflector design, right? It was created by a company called Anolux, but there are many manufacturers of the material world wide. Here is a brief description of what Miro is:

http://www.anomet.com/miro.html

Nope, I didn't know that lol. I thought 'miro' was a brand. Interesting.

You_Wrasse_is_Mine

I would recommend to use BXRA chips over the Luxeon M.

What are your reasons for this? I'm designing a fixture for a 72" 175 gallon bowfront. I was leaning towards more chips versus less higher power chips for better coverage to minimize spotlight effect.

Im going to guess and see how well I think I know what Ben is going to say without reading back. Im assuming he suggest the Bxra over the Luxeon M NW chips because the Bxra's are 4000k and the Luxeon M's are 5000k.

jedimasterben

What are your reasons for this? I'm designing a fixture for a 72" 175 gallon bowfront. I was leaning towards more chips versus less higher power chips for better coverage to minimize spotlight effect.

My reason was for color, mostly. There shouldn't be much difference between the 5K 80CRI ones that Steve's has and the 4K 80CRI BXRA, but from what I've seen compared to my 5K 80CRI Rebel ES, the BXRA is superior.

I wish I could have convinced Steve to get the 4K M instead of the 5K :)

Im going to guess and see how well I think I know what Ben is going to say without reading back. Im assuming he suggest the Bxra over the Luxeon M NW chips because the Bxra's are 4000k and the Luxeon M's are 5000k.

On the right track.

Color temperature is only part of it. It's mostly because Bridgelux does a better job overall with color rendering (CRI is not the be all, end all for color rendition). The lower color temperature does help bump the red content up slightly, but overall, it's a better looking LED. The one I really have my eye on is the newly announced Cree CXA1520. They have a 5000K version with 95CRI. Sounds good on paper, but could be complete crap over a tank.

jedimasterben

The 03 will have tighter tolerances, but realistically, the 00 will still be within a couple hundred kelvin of the target temperature.

Archived