Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

If I'm going to be changing anything on the light (remounting and enclosing), then I'm more than likely going to actually go with less LEDs. My 12x Luxeon M royals at 700mA are equal to ~8x M at 1000mA, so that will reduce complexity and reduce the number of drivers that I need, and reduce the amount of CB needed. They'll only be a bit less efficient at the higher current (35% more light, 48% more power, 597mW per watt versus 545mW per watt).

Some renderings I've been working on in Adobe Illustrator. The top layer is the LED layout with the outline of the tank, and the colored circles represent two things. The larger, black-outlined circles are the LED spread at the bottom of the tank when the light is suspended 18" above the rim. The smaller, white-outlined circles are the LED spread where the light hits the top of the tank.

NW BXRA, Ledil Brooke W (50°)
NWspread.png

RB M, Ledil Minnie WWW (63°)
RBspread.png

CB Rebel, standard 60°
CBspread.png

HV LGB, Carclo Ripple Wide (44°)
HVripplelens.png

And something, I'm considering testing out, putting Carclo elliptical lenses on the HV, would be 47° x 8° spread.
HVellipticallens.png

This is what the light spread looks like from them on a white LED:
10197-Cree-XP-E-1.jpg

Would keep almost 100% of their light in the tank. Thoughts on that anyone?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Yeah, they're pretty awesome. 86% efficiency, 47° x 8° for anything in the XP-E/XT-E package. And they're about $0.90 each.

jedimasterben

Redid the renderings for the LEDs to fit on the 4.85" x 12" heatsinks I already have.

NW:
NW.png

RB:
RB.png

CB:
CB.png

HV:
HV.png

All:
ALL.png

jedimasterben

The rectangles are the LED PCB for the M and Bridgelux. The white-outlined circles are where the cone of light first hits the water, the black-outlined circles are where the cone hits the sand.

What's the difference between the first rendering of the HV and the last? Are you changing up the lenses Carclo 44 to something else? From the looks of it you may even be able to get rid of another 4 HV and go with 8 on each array.

You have me thinking about a fixure for my 4x2x2 120g.

jedimasterben

Mostly just the shape of the light path, but I also changed from a 16" heatsink to a 12" heatsink. I had some 16" aluminum sinks somewhere, but I couldn't find them last I looked, so I'm gonna use the 12" sinks I had originally planned to use for this project.

The lenses are Carclo 10197. For anything on the XP-E package, it is 47x8 degrees.

I don't really want to go any lower than 24 violets - otherwise intensity is lower than I want in that spectrum. Violet LEDs are very powerful, but they lose intensity very quickly the farther away from them you get.

I have one of the 5.886"x24" heatsinks. I was thinking of cutting it in half and making 2x 5.886"x12" heatsinks. How high should something like your setup be hung off of a tank of my dimensions?

NirvanaandTool

Tagging along. This is some seriously awesome stuff. Reading through the whole thread now.

I think if I can sell my current Cree XP-G/E light, I'm building one of these to go over my new 90G! Maybe a little scaled down though - I dont want to have to hang the light from the attic to light the tank :P

jedimasterben

Tagging along. This is some seriously awesome stuff. Reading through the whole thread now.

I think if I can sell my current Cree XP-G/E light, I'm building one of these to go over my new 90G! Maybe a little scaled down though - I dont want to have to hang the light from the attic to light the tank :P

:)

These are really 'made for' being hung pretty high off the tank anyway to get good spread from the BXRA.

jedimasterben

Without a secondary lens/reflector, they are 140 degrees for white and 150 degrees for royal blue, and confirmed by my testing.

NirvanaandTool

:)

These are really 'made for' being hung pretty high off the tank anyway to get good spread from the BXRA.

Yea thats true. Yours is what like 18" off the tank? Would it work in a canopy hung about 12" off the tank? I figure with the 24" height on the 90, it should be ok.

jedimasterben

What about the 3 watt clear optics?

They don't fit. The M package is several times larger than the Rebel/ES package.

Jedi your aquascape is really nice :)

Thanks! Still not 100% where I want it, but I just need to stop messing with it and be happy for once :)

They don't fit. The M package is several times larger than the Rebel/ES package.

Thanks! Still not 100% where I want it, but I just need to stop messing with it and be happy for once :)

I should have been more clear.....sorry.

I see that you are using the stevesleds 90 degree optics for some of your leds (Not the Lux M's). Are you using adhesive to keep them on?

Archived