Pod Your Reef

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

Just thought i'd show that i'm going to be doing a cluster as well but a little more power.

this is the 5000. It put out like 6500 lumen at 127lm per watt! This is the new version as I use the last on my vivarium and the 5600k color paired with RB,blue,violet and deep red looks really good to me. This can go to 100w but I only push it to 50w and will most likly use this or the new vero's that just cam out with the luxeon m. I don't want to use optics, so it's why i'm useing higher power.

dsc02612c.jpg

This is the 60w heatsink but might use something sleeker and thinner

dsc02613kp.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought i'd show that i'm going to be doing a cluster as well but a little more power.

this is the 5000. It put out like 6500 lumen at 127lm per watt! This is the new version as I use the last on my vivarium and the 5600k color paired with RB,blue,violet and deep red looks really good to me. This can go to 100w but I only push it to 50w and will most likly use this or the new vero's that just cam out with the luxeon m. I don't want to use optics, so it's why i'm useing higher power.

dsc02612c.jpg

This immediately jumped into my mind.

What are some examples of a PWM controller? The apex is technically at 0-10v analog signal correct?

The Typhon is one. I think the Reef Angel controller can use PWM signals. Also there's Meep's controller.

The Typhon is one. I think the Reef Angel controller can use PWM signals. Also there's Meep's controller.

Don't forget the Jarduino.

jedimasterben

What are some examples of a PWM controller? The apex is technically at 0-10v analog signal correct?

At this point only Arduino-based controllers like the ones mentioned above.

My Evil Cluster may be seeing the light of day, tonight! I'm very close to finishing! Thanks again for all the wonderful info!!

zupe5ehy.jpg

So I had the chance to run all the LEDs in my evil cluster and I had a few thoughts and concerns....

First, I'm using the MINNIE-WWW for the Luxeons and the Brooke-W for the array. There's an obvious separation of colors between the NW and RB. And this was tested pointed at the ceiling. As you dim the NW, the blending gets better, and it isn't as obvious. I didn't get a chance to test it without optics because the thing was just too blinding at the time. So we'll see what happens tomorrow when I can hopefully put it over my tank.

jedimasterben

So after finally sitting down to get all of this stuff put together last night (and around 45 minutes of JUST putting the plastic washers onto the screws that come with the Makers), I realize that it looks like I ordered 10x royal blue Rebels instead of cool blue, so I only had enough to do one heatsink. Oh joy. Ordered the right ones, they'll get here Monday or so. Le sigh.

So after finally sitting down to get all of this stuff put together last night (and around 45 minutes of JUST putting the plastic washers onto the screws that come with the Makers), I realize that it looks like I ordered 10x royal blue Rebels instead of cool blue, so I only had enough to do one heatsink. Oh joy. Ordered the right ones, they'll get here Monday or so. Le sigh.

One day your luck is going to reverse. You're due a whole lotta good luck, sir.

If it makes you feel better - I recently went to Home Depot, bought a ton of 2x4s to start building the stand for my new tank, cleaned my table saw, put on all my safety gear, went to turn the saw on, and then realized I had no idea where the safety key is for the saw. And now I have to wait for USPS to deliver a replacement before I can get anything done. :(

I drove 1 1/2 hours to my favorite LFS yesterday to only realize when I pulling in that they were closed on Thursday.

jedimasterben

So, another problem. Two of the hyper violet are actually cyan. Huzzah!

IMG_20130628_133505.jpg

IMG_20130628_133511.jpg

Also, on the other heatsink, I put 60 degree optics on the middle six HV chips.... I measured PAR at 12" at 350.... uncorrected!!! Corrected, it becomes 437+ :)

The two BXRA chips with 50 degree reflectors give around 450 PAR at 16" or so in the center of the fixture at 700mA.

So I got my evil cluster over my tank finally (without optics)! Some observations:

-Reds and oranges are really vibrant and popping.

-Shimmer is insane! It's like having a Kessil

-Spread: it easily lights my 24" long Nuvo 16, end to end

-disco is noticeable, especially when the whites are turned up.

I'm hoping I can somehow remedy the disco effect without reducing water turbulence. Has anyone had any similar experiences? The fixture is 12" above the water line.

Any suggestions?

Another update: I tried the optics on the array with the Brooke-W and it created a spotlight at the center of the tank, while the sides had a hint of royal blue. So that's a no go in my case. With optics on the Luxeon M's, it helps with the light spill and doesn't impact color blending too much (when array is running without optics).

So back to the drawing board....

Mouser got lisa2 reflectors for Rebel ES chips in stock. It says they're for Cree XP-E lamps but the part number is identical to the Rebel ES model. I think I'd rather have a Tina2 or a Leila but at least a reflector is available now.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ledil/C12469_LISA2-R-PIN/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMurrcjIfQMqUzA7OrRJnXse1nR8851asD8%3d

Product Sheet:

http://www.ledil.com/node/2/p/5002

For the record: Newark has them too if you need 300 or a multiple of 100 larger (i.e. 400, 500, etc.)

disaster999

ive been waiting for a month for my LED to come in :furious:. i guess this is what you get for being a cheapskate and not wanting to pay for international shipping :lol:

jedimasterben

:lol:

So, I got the cool blue soldered in and ####ing destroyed the solderless cyans that were posing as hyper violet (the solderless connectors broke off with almost no force... and I found out that it was easier to do that and just clip the wires than trying to get a toothpick or wire in and make the wire slip out).

So for lenses and reflectors, here is what I used:

BXRA - Ledil Brooke W, 50°

Luxeon M - Ledil Minnie WWW, 63°

Blue Rebels - acrylic 90°

Cyan Rebels - no optics

Hyper violet - acrylic 60° (not to blast LEDGroupBuy, but literally zero of the XT-E optics fit the solderless hyper violet without breaking them, more on that in a sec)

That being said, I tested each string with the only driver I have that didn't need a power supply, a Meanwell LPC-35-700, which is 48v 700mA max.

PAR readings at 28" for ONE heatsink of LEDs (2x BXRA, 6x RB M, 6x Rebel blue, 3x Rebel cyan, 14x HV) in the center of the fixture at only 700mA:

NW - 125

RB - 257

CB - 56

HV - 233

Total 671 PAR

(As usual, Apogee SQ-110 attached to multimeter, and corrected per Apogee's posted PAR curve, 1.0 for NW, 0.8 for RB, 0.9 for CB, 0.6 for HV)

Goddamn.

Holy Crap.

With those reflectors on it reminds me of space shuttle boosters. Looks like it could take off at any time.

Nice to see someone else using terminal blocks to sort out their wiring.

Archived