Pod Your Reef

>Tristan's PicO< (New pics of tank)

TristanC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That scoly is nice! 90$ isnt to bad how big is it again? My scoly still hasnt opend that big yet even tho its 3inches in diam.

Max is great on sundays since u could get corals pretty cheap 1hr before closin time ... No reefapoolza thats for sure.

Deleted User 4
That scoly is nice! 90$ isnt to bad how big is it again? My scoly still hasnt opend that big yet even tho its 3inches in diam.

Max is great on sundays since u could get corals pretty cheap 1hr before closin time ... No reefapoolza thats for sure.

I went on Sunday last year but not right before closing time. Still didn't find any good deals. So I guess Tristan should try to go 2-3 hrs before closing time.

Maybe put it behind a rock or something to block the flow

All the low flow areas are conveniently out of view haha

That scoly is nice! 90$ isnt to bad how big is it again? My scoly still hasnt opend that big yet even tho its 3inches in diam. Max is great on sundays since u could get corals pretty cheap 1hr before closin time ... No reefapoolza thats for sure.

Yeah ive seen similar scolys go for 150+ id say mine is 4ish". Im not sure is my boss is going to give me the day off yet so im not sure ill be able to go.. Reefapalooza (spell check?) on the other hand i will make sure i get those days off :)

In other news my sps are glued to the rock work now and they seem to be ok, not amazing but ok. Im thinking I need to boost my nutrient removal a bit more if I plan to keep the sps happier. I ordered some brs rox carbon and a couple mesh bags im thinking that might help out a bit, speaking of which does anyone know how much i should start with? Its a small tank with a small bioload so i dont want to overdo it.

According to BRS Reef Calculator you only need 1tbsp for a 12.5g (LOL!) So I would (and will be) going with the smallest media bag I can find/make that fits the media basket and filling it enough to look like water will come in contact with it along the entire surface area of the bag.

According to BRS Reef Calculator you only need 1tbsp for a 12.5g (LOL!) So I would (and will be) going with the smallest media bag I can find/make that fits the media basket and filling it enough to look like water will come in contact with it along the entire surface area of the bag.

Geez, i bought enough carbon to last me forever haha. I got the smallest mesh bag they had, i think its 4x8".

Deleted User 4
Im already saving money for pooluza, i know im gunna walk out broke haha.

Lololol. Trust. You are 100% precisely correct on that statement. Reef-a-plooza is cracking crowdy where max is like eh, not crowdy. The best corals you'll ever see every year.

Thelizardkin

In other news my sps are glued to the rock work now and they seem to be ok, not amazing but ok. Im thinking I need to boost my nutrient removal a bit more if I plan to keep the sps happier. I ordered some brs rox carbon and a couple mesh bags im thinking that might help out a bit, speaking of which does anyone know how much i should start with? Its a small tank with a small bioload so i dont want to overdo it.

I added a phosban reactor to my tank and the growth has gotten so much better and they're not super expensive

$40 for the reactor

$12 for the gfo will last me 2 years

$9 for a tiny 60gph pump

and $5 for a few feet of 1/2" tubing

I added a phosban reactor to my tank and the growth has gotten so much better and they're not super expensive

$40 for the reactor

$12 for the gfo will last me 2 years

$9 for a tiny 60gph pump

and $5 for a few feet of 1/2" tubing

A reactor is not out of the question but seeing as it would need to be mounted out of the water and on the stand i am a little hesitant. In addition having such a small water volume I'm not sure the tiny amount of media i would be using would justify a reactor.

A reactor is not out of the question but seeing as it would need to be mounted out of the water and on the stand i am a little hesitant. In addition having such a small water volume I'm not sure the tiny amount of media i would be using would justify a reactor.

Yeah, I know what you mean Tristan. I have been contemplating the same thing with my build. I ended up deciding on Fauna Marin Ultra Power Phos just in a media bag in one of my back chambers. There are definitely cheaper alternatives, but I have been spending too much time on German forums :P Besides, I really like what Fauna Marin offers. :lol:

I think you should do the media in the bag. Have you ever run GFO like media before?

Yeah, I know what you mean Tristan. I have been contemplating the same thing with my build. I ended up deciding on Fauna Marin Ultra Power Phos just in a media bag in one of my back chambers. There are definitely cheaper alternatives, but I have been spending too much time on German forums :P Besides, I really like what Fauna Marin offers. :lol:

I think you should do the media in the bag. Have you ever run GFO like media before?

No i haven't, in fact I've never run gfo except what might be in chemipure elite lol. Im seriously interested to see if the Fauna Marin works really well in a media bag because that would really help me out. I was contemplating putting some gfo (brs) in a media bag and running it next to my carbon but if you have good luck with this stuff i may copy you :) Another thing I'm starting to think about is a skimmer, I know I don't need it per say but I'm thinking if a 9002 will fit i may add one. Your doing the zeovit system aren't you?

supermarvin76

I'm following to see what chemicals you decide to run. And I am seriously the inking about dropping the dough for two MiniMax reactors. If I can only figure out where to put them... They are 2.3" wide.

No i haven't, in fact I've never run gfo except what might be in chemipure elite lol. Im seriously interested to see if the Fauna Marin works really well in a media bag because that would really help me out. I was contemplating putting some gfo (brs) in a media bag and running it next to my carbon but if you have good luck with this stuff i may copy you :) Another thing I'm starting to think about is a skimmer, I know I don't need it per say but I'm thinking if a 9002 will fit i may add one. Your doing the zeovit system aren't you?

We will see. I'll keep you posted :) I have seen really great things lurking around German reefing forums, but not too sure how it will be. Fauna Marin seems to be a company I just really click with and I'm sure I will go broke buying their products once I have a larger tank as well :P for now ill try to keep it semi-affordable!

I would try BRS GFO as well, but figured I would be a bit different. Supposedly their Phosphate reducer (Fauna Marin) is designed to keep things around 0.04 and not to completely remove Phosphates - which seems to have much success in SPS tanka at that level. It just seems really thought out which I appreciate :lol:

So what's up with the tank?

So I've been looking into the minimax reactor (desktop) and i think i may try one out. To make sure it would work well with only 9" of water i sent innovative marine an email, they said that it could work in as little as 6". With 2.5"x2.5" i could easily fit one in my 1st chamber with more that enough room for my two heaters. I plan on using brs rox carbon (got this in the mail today) possibly mixed with brs gfo.

Edit: i did some research on the fauna marin phosphate remover, Id like to know if it will actually bring it down to .04 but no lower as this would be super awesome.. I wont be buying gfo until i see your review on the stuff, which by the way has to have livestock in the tank to be relevant, so hurry up :D

Tanks doing great, my rastas and fire n ice zoas are popping out babies along with my acans. My test run with sps is going smooth, the setosa looks amazing with excellent color and PE but the millie has faded a bit. I had my light at a relatively low intensity so i bumped it up a hair, I'm now peaking at 26-38-38 (I started at 15-20-20 and have been slowly ramping up since i got the light). Nitrates are registering at around 5-10 but i cant tell with api so ive ordered the Red Sea kit to compliment my cal, alk, and mag kits.

:P for now ill try to keep it semi-affordable!

rofl, says the guy dosing zeovit :happy: Let me know if you ever travel to phoenix Jordon I'll buy you a beer.

Tanks doing great, my rastas and fire n ice zoas are popping out babies along with my acans. My test run with sps is going smooth, the setosa looks amazing with excellent color and PE but the millie has faded a bit. I had my light at a relatively low intensity so i bumped it up a hair, I'm now peaking at 26-38-38 (I started at 15-20-20 and have been slowly ramping up since i got the light). Nitrates are registering at around 5-10 but i cant tell with api so ive ordered the Red Sea kit to compliment my cal, alk, and mag kits.

haha - look everyone this guy thinks he can give us an update without pictures <_<

haha - look everyone this guy thinks he can give us an update without pictures <_<

Haha yeah yeah yeah, lights are out so picture taking isn't going to happen. :(

So I've been looking into the minimax reactor (desktop) and i think i may try one out. To make sure it would work well with only 9" of water i sent innovative marine an email, they said that it could work in as little as 6". With 2.5"x2.5" i could easily fit one in my 1st chamber with more that enough room for my two heaters. I plan on using brs rox carbon (got this in the mail today) possibly mixed with brs gfo.

Edit: i did some research on the fauna marin phosphate remover, Id like to know if it will actually bring it down to .04 but no lower as this would be super awesome.. I wont be buying gfo until i see your review on the stuff, which by the way has to have livestock in the tank to be relevant, so hurry up :D

I was looking at that one too after Christine (NanoTopia) refused to make me one of her super-awesome Pico reactors :P I just don't like the fact that it would still be sticking out of the back due to it being higher than the tank height. I'm weird like that... It for sure sounds like a great thing though. I love how companies are making more stuff nano-sized for us!

That's what intrigued me as well is their 0.04 claim. Now I don't know how true that claim is, but if it is it sounds perfect.

The only downfall to this week, is I still haven't received my orders for the QT tank, including my dip and light. Now I could get a coral dip at the LFS, but the light is concerning ... :( I am supposed to get it on Tuesday though. <_<

Excellent! That's great news about your SPS run. Anything special you are doing. What is your frequency and % for water changes on this beast?

I keep hearing really good things about the red sea kits. I think i'll start ordering those, as ELOS has let me down with their Ammonia kit, and i'm holding a grudge :lol:

rofl, says the guy dosing zeovit :happy: Let me know if you ever travel to phoenix Jordon I'll buy you a beer.

Uh hell yes! But it has to be Kokanee Gold. Do you guys get that beer over there? :P Nothing beats Canadian Beer.

Except most other imports, micro brews and Miller Lite. :P

To each their own... Beer is one of those very subjective things depending on the individual. I am not a good one to judge actually, because I really only drink maybe half a dozen times in a year. I'm a caesar guy at heart. Haha.

Archived