inTank Media Baskets

>Tristan's PicO< (New pics of tank)

TristanC

That's badass, a 24"x18"x18" with sump/fuge. I've been planning on a 36x18x16 with either the ATI T5/LED combo, ATI dimmable 6 bulb T5, or Aquaticlife 6 bulb with stunner strips. Already got all the equipment planned out in my head already though.

Im really excited for it even though its going to be a while until I can even start getting things going. To be honest I'm really leaning towards going full T5's with the ATI 6bulb powermodule (the dimmable one is really nice too :) there is just something about t5's that I miss. Like you I have been planning this in my head and I already know what equipment I need.

Oooh, that sounds nice. Every time I look at pre-made tanks, I am always not impressed with the finishing, like the silicone is too messy, or the lack of polished edges, or regular glass (not starphire/low-iron) We are so spoiled :P

The Macro forest sound really nice.

Yeah having this PicO has ruined me haha. Ive been wanting to start a macro tank for a while now so I figured why not have a fuge for just that when I upgrade.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, isn't razor made in China as well?

But it isn't Chinese crap!! That's for sure lololol.

Place of origin isn't really an issue, just because it's made in china doesn't make it crap. What makes it crap is that the company doesn't have it's own ideas and can't make something of worth, so instead they make a clone of someone else's work.
Deleted User 4

Place of origin isn't really an issue, just because it's made in china doesn't make it crap. What makes it crap is that the company doesn't have it's own ideas and can't make something of worth, so instead they make a clone of someone else's work.

Yeah, that's right.

Im really excited for it even though its going to be a while until I can even start getting things going. To be honest I'm really leaning towards going full T5's with the ATI 6bulb powermodule (the dimmable one is really nice too :) there is just something about t5's that I miss. Like you I have been planning this in my head and I already know what equipment I need.

Yeah having this PicO has ruined me haha. Ive been wanting to start a macro tank for a while now so I figured why not have a fuge for just that when I upgrade.

I love the color T5 bulbs. Getting the right color is very eye pleasing IMO.

Hey tristan, how is the minimax reactor working out for you these days? I'm thinking of maybe getting one later on.

I love it, so simple yet very effective. Out of all the nano reactors available I would definitely recommend the IM.

I love it, so simple yet very effective. Out of all the nano reactors available I would definitely recommend the IM.

Good to hear! I just don't feel that my current filtration setup is that effective. I was thinking of possible getting the IM minimax and their skimmate skimmer. As for the skimmer, I have heard pretty mixed reviews about it - so i'm still researching. I just don't feel that i'm getting any nutrient export besides water changes.

Good to hear! I just don't feel that my current filtration setup is that effective. I was thinking of possible getting the IM minimax and their skimmate skimmer. As for the skimmer, I have heard pretty mixed reviews about it - so i'm still researching. I just don't feel that i'm getting any nutrient export besides water changes.

I'm actually considering adding the cad lights pls-50 skimmer, you should look into it. Tron and a few other members are very satisfied with it.

I do understand what your saying though, even with my reactor and weekly 20% changes I still get a consistent 10ppm of nitrate.. I have zero algae issue but I know lowering the nitrates a bit more will benefit my sps, maybe even allow me to get more.

Your not getting nutrient export if your not skimming and you don't have chaeto. Not that it's a bad thing though hence the importance of those water changes. You can successfully run a nano without them as long as you keep up with the water changes. Larger tanks rely on sumps and skimmers because it's just not feasible to perform a 15% weekly water change on a 150g tank.

If you can get a skimmer in one of your rear chambers and you so desire then go for it. Otherwise, drill the thing. You didn't spend the money on a custom tank to drop a skimmer right in your display. For me with my PicO, I had other goals then I have with my other tank. I specifically run my rear chambers with the lid on because I don't want to see any hardware in the tank or above the tank (besides the hanging light).

Additionally, if your having nutrient issues with such limited stocking in your tank then you really need to find the source.

Sorry to hijack your thread Tristan.

Your not getting nutrient export if your not skimming and you don't have chaeto. Not that it's a bad thing though hence the importance of those water changes. You can successfully run a nano without them as long as you keep up with the water changes. Larger tanks rely on sumps and skimmers because it's just not feasible to perform a 15% weekly water change on a 150g tank.

If you can get a skimmer in one of your rear chambers and you so desire then go for it. Otherwise, drill the thing. You didn't spend the money on a custom tank to drop a skimmer right in your display. For me with my PicO, I had other goals then I have with my other tank. I specifically run my rear chambers with the lid on because I don't want to see any hardware in the tank or above the tank (besides the hanging light).

Additionally, if your having nutrient issues with such limited stocking in your tank then you really need to find the source.

Haha that's what it's here for. Personally I don't mind things sticking out a little bit as I knew it would happen eventually. As for the nutrients in my tank I'm fairly certain I regularly over feed, but since it can keep trates around 10 and I have no algae issues I haven't changed.

Hmm it's not so much Nitrates or anything really. In fact I haven't had them above 5 this entire time, phosphates haven't went past 0.08 either. I feed light, but I would like to get another fish, and some other Inverts. I like the idea of feeding my corals occasionally as well. I am fairly consistent with water changes, but like the idea of getting rid of that sludge you see.

My filtration works - but not to the extent that I need it to in order to have a thriving and colorful SPS dominated system.

I'm still doing much research on different skimmers, and since I made my chambers nano sized, it's been difficult finding ones that will fit! I found 3 so far. Unfortunately the CAD PLS-50 is a tad too large for my chambers.

If the skimmer head sticks out a bit, it's not too much of an eyesore for me. I won't be drilling this tank, but will be upgrading in the future. :) Think BIG

Haha, again sorry Tristan. Your thread gets all the hits! :lol:

One questions for you, How often do you change the carbon and GFO in your media reactor?

Hmm it's not so much Nitrates or anything really. In fact I haven't had them above 5 this entire time, phosphates haven't went past 0.08 either. I feed light, but I would like to get another fish, and some other Inverts. I like the idea of feeding my corals occasionally as well. I am fairly consistent with water changes, but like the idea of getting rid of that sludge you see.

My filtration works - but not to the extent that I need it to in order to have a thriving and colorful SPS dominated system.

I'm still doing much research on different skimmers, and since I made my chambers nano sized, it's been difficult finding ones that will fit! I found 3 so far. Unfortunately the CAD PLS-50 is a tad too large for my chambers.

If the skimmer head sticks out a bit, it's not too much of an eyesore for me. I won't be drilling this tank, but will be upgrading in the future. :) Think BIG

Haha, again sorry Tristan. Your thread gets all the hits! :lol:

One questions for you, How often do you change the carbon and GFO in your media reactor?

That's right I totally forgot that your chambers are much much smaller than mine, what about the aquaticlife mini? As for my gfo/carbon I use a very small amount (1tbsp of each) and change it once a week. By all means guys flood my thread with info, I'm way cool with it.

That's right I totally forgot that your chambers are much much smaller than mine, what about the aquaticlife mini? As for my gfo/carbon I use a very small amount (1tbsp of each) and change it once a week. By all means guys flood my thread with info, I'm way cool with it.

Ya they measure 3"x5" so they are quite small. I just reorganized them a bit to make for better surface skimming, and i'm happy to report no unsightly surface film anymore! Woohoo!

I was thinking of possible getting the IM Skimmate skimmer and the Minimax, and use one in each of the chambers. I think with the minimax, it's still small enough so I can fit my heater in the same chamber as well :)

I'm still not 100% sold on filter floss. I mean, it works, but I think unless i change it every 3 days, it's just going to cause Nitrates. With how clean I keep my tank, My Nitrate should be nearly undetectable. That's another reason i'm thinking skimmer.

I hear either great things about the IM Skimmate, or the total opposite. Most people seem to have issues with their water levels that complain - which I don't have, so I think I may try it out. As helpful as reviews are - they are not that helpful at all :lol:

The Cad skimmer seems amazing. Unless I can modify it to fit, but i'm not sure if I can.

Carbon should be used in small amounts and changed frequently. GFO can stay in much longer as long as your not having phosphate issues then it's probably not exhausted.

Jordon, floss (or filter pads) should be changed regularly. That's the whole point of using it when compared to using a foam pad. I recommend changing weekly, but you can get away with up to two weeks. It's always a good idea to rinse it half way through and then toss it at your determined schedule.

If your not having browning issues or algae issues, then continue to feed. :)

Jordon, that PicO will turn into one heck of a frag tank when you upgrade. :) But you have to get the science down now on a small scale before you go big. Come down my way and pick up a 40B during the Petco dollar sale and you will be good to go. lol

I just feel that weekly isn't enough. I stir my sand bed often, and think that a lot of junk gets trapped in those little pads quickly. I haven't rinsed then tossed them back though. Maybe i'll try that for the time being :)

Algae has increased a bit, but that's thanks to the increase in my lighting period. I don't have much to feed these days <_< Just the TSB and a hermit crab. Perhaps adding a bit to the CUC section will help a bit with the algae. It's not an issue at the moment, but I am a little light on that end.

Like I was saying to Tristan, we are way to spoiled to get a 'pre-made' :lol: I already have plans for another BIG custom. Like you mentioned though, i need to work on my params and science... At least if we can master nano's a large tank should be not any more difficult - although it has it's own challenges.

That's one thing i'm proud of - is my crystal clear water. Maybe i'm just being lazy :P

Haha it's nice seeing a super dirty filter pad, knowing its no longer in your water. I'd think that would make you just as as happy as it makes me.

Deleted User 4

Hey tris, you sure you don't want to upgrade to this?

1_zps24fad89d.jpg

• Tank: Starfire glass on all 3 sides :naughtydance: Size: 24"W x 24"L x 20"H

http://www.scaquariums.com/product_p/sca-001.htm

Looks stellar like PicO's quality.

Here are other people's sca tanks.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/327800-65g-deepwater-sps-and-anthias-only-tankupdated/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/331947-elos-system-100-or-cadlights-artisan-ii-70/?p=4445875

Hey tris, you sure you don't want to upgrade to this?

Looks stellar like PicO's quality.

Here are other people's sca tanks.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/327800-65g-deepwater-sps-and-anthias-only-tankupdated/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/331947-elos-system-100-or-cadlights-artisan-ii-70/?p=4445875

lol I think you should get one ;) Im going to go with Chris again for my next tank and if for some reason he is unable ill get an ADA.

Archived